Reality is....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reality is....

We are going to cop some losses this year and next. I said all along this team of kids will need at least 2-3 years before they are a force. There are key positions not filled with enough class and experience and the expectation that under 20 s can simply jump to first grade and be instant world beaters is a complete false hope. Young raw forwards need time...years.

Things take time and with this squad that means a roller coaster very week. I don't care that moga isn't there at the moment....I still think he needs time. Same for the other young guys we want to come in for other players. There are also the injuries at the moment and underdone players returning from them.

Ups and downs is what is for at least the next 2 years. Then experience and cohesion kicks in along with better players in key positions like 1 6 and 7 ( pearce or Maloney to 6 after Anasta is retired hopefully this year).... Which wont happen.

Go easts.
    Last edited by melon....; 03-12-2012, 06:37 AM.
    Alcohol never solved any life problems.....then again neither did milk.

Reality is...we need a new coach

The team has no structure, no set plays, no players in motion and a clueless attack. This was the case last year and again the first 2 rounds

I heard an interview of Morts on Ch9 yesterday where he said that the game plan is similar to Parra in 09 with "no structure and ad lib footy". If that is the case, then we are in trouble

One out footy does not threaten the defence.

Smith and his son need to go IMO.

Comment

I agree with mad Morley.

They look a poorly coached team.

We can have all the best young players in the comp, sign sbw plus more but without a good coach it's going to be a complete waste.

Comment

Originally posted by fred68 View Post
        I agree with mad Morley.

They look a poorly coached team.

We can have all the best young players in the comp, sign sbw plus more but without a good coach it's going to be a complete waste.
        Sorry for bagging you about changing the coach last year. You were spot on

Youthful exuberance (which Smith loves to tell us all the time) is only an excuse. Our under 20's play with more style and structure than our first grade team. I saw one backline yesterday. It went from a slow dummy half to Pearce to JWH to Braith - WTF was JWH doing as link between our halves. NFI

Comment

Smith is the master of excuses.

Last year it was all carney & Myles fault.

This year it's a young team.

It's his 3rd season with us. He should have the squad he wants by now.

I wonder what his excuse will be next year.

He was apparently brought here to install discipline. He failed on that as we all saw last year off the field. He hasn't done anything about our infield discipline either - the stupid penalties keep coming.

The only thing he is good at is keeping his useless son in employment.

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Morley View Post
            Reality is...we need a new coach

The team has no structure, no set plays, no players in motion and a clueless attack. This was the case last year and again the first 2 rounds

I heard an interview of Morts on Ch9 yesterday where he said that the game plan is similar to Parra in 09 with "no structure and ad lib footy". If that is the case, then we are in trouble

One out footy does not threaten the defence.

Smith and his son need to go IMO.
            I can only say I agree with you both. The last 4 wins last year were "apparently" the work of Elliot. A lot of fans took that form and applied it to expecting teh same this season....injuries aside.....I think a lot of people will be disappointed. And Coach or no coach, we lack good or experience in key possies.

And I re-iterate, I agree about the coaching...we havent had one backline movement in 2 games now. And the forwards are being dominated. They have teh strength speed and size, but arent being used correctly....and to teh point, in a planned way.

Having said that, I always give them until round 6 or 7. Anzac day is the cutoff mark. Then I get cranky.

Comment

sack everyone...booo hoooo
              ffs
              1911 1912 1913 1923 1935 1936 1937 1940 1945 1974 1975 2002 2013 2018 2019 2020

Comment

I wouldnt sack anyone. But Id be asking the hard questions. Id look to play a structured plan with the right players in the right positions. Find out why our forwards are gettihg dominated in teh middle. Why we cant string 3 passes down the backline. Elliot was in the box with Smith. Is this Elliots doing? Is he letting Smith put a noose around his own neck? We should see some changes in teh next 2 weeks to teh structre. If we dont then something's got to give after round 6 depending on our results.

Who knows with this team...they could come out and whack Canberra next week. Or lose by 20 again.

Comment

So the baby Broncos who put their hearts into it each week buck the trend?

Sorry, we're just poorly coached - same shit for 3 seasons, up one week, down the next - Brian's got no idea and that's why he'll never win a premiership.

Comment

Originally posted by elo View Post
                    So the baby Broncos who put their hearts into it each week buck the trend?

Sorry, we're just poorly coached - same shit for 3 seasons, up one week, down the next - Brian's got no idea and that's why he'll never win a premiership.
                    The "Baby" Broncos have several players in key positions that have experience at the highest level. Petero, Hannant, Parker, Wallace, Thaiday.....AND they are better coached.

I still believe Easts fans went over the top last and this year and especially in the trials, thinking our U20s was going to save us. With the current domination of our forwards and lack of backline structure or game plan, that is never going to happen. is that coaching? Im sure part of it is.

let me question some decisions.

Martin Kennedy may well be the next Artie Beetson. but underdone, he needed 3 or 4 weeks at Newtown.
                    Arona - Why is he still even in first grade?
                    Moga - people saying he'll dominate first grade? Sure. He might. He might not.
                    JWH - A second Rower getting smashed in teh front row. Love teh effort - used completely incorrectly.
                    Minichiello - why is he still running around? Having said that, who teh **** do we have that will do better in Frist Grade? Nobody.
                    Anasta - He should be at Newtown and Pearce should be given a chance to work on building something with Mortimer. Mortimer and Pearce showed more last week than Anasta and Pearce showed in the entire last year. Then again pearce looks like he cant come up with anything? But who do you replace him with Littlejohn? LOL.
                    Carney and BJ - The experiment is over. Both are Newtown long termers. But then who do you promote?

Or do we stick with them for 5 or 6 weeks?
                    Last edited by melon....; 03-12-2012, 08:13 AM.

Comment

Poor old BJ is heading into his third season. Time to show something.

Comment

Originally posted by Bansai Pipeline View Post
                        Poor old BJ is heading into his third season. Time to show something.
                        Problem with BJ is he is a centre/back rower playing on teh Wing for some ****ing reason. Are we that short of decent wingers?

Comment

If we improve our discipline, I think you'll see an improvement everywhere else.
                          I am sooooooo sick of seeing our opponents get to the third tackle in their own 30m and then get a piggy back penalty.
                          This happens way too often.
                          This is definitley a coaching issue.
                          Its the same with raising children. You start with the basics in discipline and the rest will follow.
                          I have seven year old twin boys so I can only relate it to our guys.
                          Respect your mum (the ref).
                          tidy your room and make your bed in the morning (stay onside with the "ref")
                          Get dressed quickly, brush your teeth and set the table for brekky. (keeping the ref happy again by not giving away silly penalties, ie, messing toothpaste on your school shirt or forgetting to put your PJs under your pillow)
                          Eat brekky quickly (if you do you might get a treat from mum "the ref", similar to receiving a penalty in your own half)

If we get the basics right, the rest will follow.

Lets try and win a penalty count for maybe 3 -4 weeks in a row.
                          I'm sure the results will follow.
                          Member 2008 - forever

Comment

Originally posted by melon.... View Post
                            We are going to cop some losses this year and next. I said all along this team of kids will need at least 2-3 years before they are a force. There are key positions not filled with enough class and experience and the expectation that under 20 s can simply jump to first grade and be instant world beaters is a complete false hope. Young raw forwards need time...years.

Things take time and with this squad that means a roller coaster very week. I don't care that moga isn't there at the moment....I still think he needs time. Same for the other young guys we want to come in for other players. There are also the injuries at the moment and underdone players returning from them.

Ups and downs is what is for at least the next 2 years. Then experience and cohesion kicks in along with better players in key positions like 1 6 and 7 ( pearce or Maloney to 6 after Anasta is retired hopefully this year).... Which wont happen.

Go easts.
                            If the team keeps playing like it did yesterday and loses most games...in 2 years time there'll be 'no' fans left and the club broke.

It costs fans money to attend home games [we only won 2 away games last year].
                            It's been shown many times that fans won't pay to watch losing teams week after week...'rebuilding' or not.
                            Titans crowds for example.

A fine day yesterday, we won last week...yet the crowd was only 12,000 or so.
                            Probably be less than that next week.

These are our home games, we have to win them.

Comment

Originally posted by melon.... View Post
                              Problem with BJ is he is a centre/back rower playing on teh Wing for some ****ing reason. Are we that short of decent wingers?
                              Yes.

Phil Graham was moved on.
                              Another bad decision.

Boy this club makes a lot of bad decisions...now look what's happened....zero points and a laughing stock.

BJ played well there last year...when he got passed the ball on the end of the backline.

Comment

Working...
                              X