Top 5 Toughest Roosters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bondicigar View Post
    Skd broken jaw gf. If it was measured on playing through injury this superhuman effort would be hard to beat. It's pretty hard to ignore an injury like that and play on
    Agree. This barely gets a mention but we hear about Sattlers broken jaw for the Vermin every other week !!

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks Fur Coat View Post

Not Roosters....got ya on a small technicality.
      I'm giving myself a self-imposed ban from this forum. 1 hour!
      Shit now I'm going to have to go and talk to my wife Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Comment

Originally posted by Thirteen View Post

I'm giving myself a self-imposed ban from this forum. 1 hour!
        Shit now I'm going to have to go and talk to my wife Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
        Haha..

Comment

Trevor Gillmeister
          Bunny Reilly
          Adrian Morley
          Hugh McGahan
          Sam Moa

Comment

Toughness, playing in pain....smashing your body for pride in the jersey

1.Ricko
            2.Luke Phillips
            3.Jake Friend
            4.TERRY REAGEN
            5. Morley Morley Morley
            barbarian ......arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!!!!!!!

Comment

there would be at least 50 to make that list
              "Qui audet adipiscitur"

WHO DARES WINS

Comment

Johnny Tobin still doing it tough.

Comment

I am interpreting toughness as the player the opposition feared rather that durability. So on those counts it has to be Big Artie. He knocked many players into the middle of next week. His tackling was brutal and he didn't hold back. Plus his reflexes and pace gave him an added advantage. Sort of like Muhammad Ali versus your average heavyweight. Blokes like John Sattler had nothing on Beetson, who could play by the rules and still take opposition players out.

Adrian Morley based his game on hard contact and has to be included. He was big enough but sometimes played against bigger bodies and still sorted them out. I didn't see anyone really get the better of Morley out here. Once or twice in England maybe but they were usually dog shots. He was fearless and all forwards speak highly of Morley.

Next would be the Axe. I watched him from that start. He built his thighs up to where he had a great sense of balance and he could stop anyone in their tracks. He was like running into brick wall. Many times I saw Bunny stop a big forward, lift them off the ground and run them backwards. English Test second rower John Mantle was one in the WCC at the SCG in 1976.

Bunny probably had the best tackling technique I have ever seen, apart from Johnny Raper. Reilly's size (he was 13 stone at best, probably less) meant he never got selected in the major rep sides. What a player pound for pound. I remember him getting into a fight with the international forward Ken Day of Many and Reilly dropped him cold as a spud. He could fight alright.

In the 90's I do recall see a little guy doing the same thing. His name was Trevor Gilmeister and he had this brilliant technique and was helped in it by Arthur Beetson (who'd recruited him and Bunny who was assisting coaching. Trevor went all the way to Test footy and some of those tackles on a full on Paul Harragon just bent the Chief in half. And if Rooster6 reads this, these two were like Nigel Plum - a steel post box in the middle of he road. Yes Plum would survive a nuclear blast. I recall the first time I saw him play he cut Willie Mason in half. Great technique. Pity he wasn't a better footy player.

Lastly it's SBW and I'm surprised he didn't get more mentions. Who would want to line up against this Superman. I think he was top dog in the NRL and an inspiration to JWH. If I was a player I would hate to face Beetson, Morley, Reilly, Gillmeister and SBW. Especially if I was a half back. That's my five and great question. I also considered who was most dominant incidentally which is why Ronnie Gibbs, Terry Reagan, Steve Hage missed out for mine as they got knocked out too much and wouldn't match it with the likes of SBW.

Oh and the 60's there can be only one choice and it's not Jack Gibson. Try Louis Neumann. Tough as teak, dominant and the Adrian Morley of his time. Although Jack did keep him under a tight reign. Neumann was thought of highly enough to be appointed captain coach for the 1969 season when big Jack quit.
                  Last edited by Louis N; 07-10-2019, 04:04 PM.

Comment

I was at Trevor Gillmeister's first trial game at the Roosters. When he ran out we thought why the hell have they bought Barney Rubble? Didn't take long to find out why-didn't take long for the oppositions big forwards to not run directly at him either!

Comment

Originally posted by Random Rooster View Post
                      I was at Trevor Gillmeister's first trial game at the Roosters. When he ran out we thought why the hell have they bought Barney Rubble? Didn't take long to find out why-didn't take long for the oppositions big forwards to not run directly at him either!
                      I remember when he first came to my attention against the Tigers. Paul Sironen got the ball of the charge close to our line. Looked like a certain try but Gillmeister stopped him cold. I thought this guys got something and I'm glad he's wearing our colours.

And yes he did have Barney's eyes.....LOL

Comment

Ad More
                        Mini
                        Bonetti
                        Mick Crocker
                        Victor
                        1911 1912 1913 1923 1935 1936 1937 1940 1945 1974 1975 2002 2013 2018 2019 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Louis N View Post
                          I am interpreting toughness as the player the opposition feared rather that durability. So on those counts it has to be Big Artie. He knocked many players into the middle of next week. His tackling was brutal and he didn't hold back. Plus his reflexes and pace gave him an added advantage. Sort of like Muhammad Ali versus your average heavyweight. Blokes like John Sattler had nothing on Beetson, who could play by the rules and still take opposition players out.

Adrian Morley based his game on hard contact and has to be included. He was big enough but sometimes played against bigger bodies and still sorted them out. I didn't see anyone really get the better of Morley out here. Once or twice in England maybe but they were usually dog shots. He was fearless and all forwards speak highly of Morley.

Next would be the Axe. I watched him from that start. He built his thighs up to where he had a great sense of balance and he could stop anyone in their tracks. He was like running into brick wall. Many times I saw Bunny stop a big forward, lift them off the ground and run them backwards. English Test second rower John Mantle was one in the WCC at the SCG in 1976.

Bunny probably had the best tackling technique I have ever seen, apart from Johnny Raper. Reilly's size (he was 13 stone at best, probably less) meant he never got selected in the major rep sides. What a player pound for pound. I remember him getting into a fight with the international forward Ken Day of Many and Reilly dropped him cold as a spud. He could fight alright.

In the 90's I do recall see a little guy doing the same thing. His name was Trevor Gilmeister and he had this brilliant technique and was helped in it by Arthur Beetson (who'd recruited him and Bunny who was assisting coaching. Trevor went all the way to Test footy and some of those tackles on a full on Paul Harragon just bent the Chief in half. And if Rooster6 reads this, these two were like Nigel Plum - a steel post box in the middle of he road. Yes Plum would survive a nuclear blast. I recall the first time I saw him play he cut Willie Mason in half. Great technique. Pity he wasn't a better footy player.

Lastly it's SBW and I'm surprised he didn't get more mentions. Who would want to line up against this Superman. I think he was top dog in the NRL and an inspiration to JWH. If I was a player I would hate to face Beetson, Morley, Reilly, Gillmeister and SBW. Especially if I was a half back. That's my five and great question. I also considered who was most dominant incidentally which is why Ronnie Gibbs, Terry Reagan, Steve Hage missed out for mine as they got knocked out too much and wouldn't match it with the likes of SBW.

Oh and the 60's there can be only one choice and it's not Jack Gibson. Try Louis Neumann. Tough as teak, dominant and the Adrian Morley of his time. Although Jack did keep him under a tight reign. Neumann was thought of highly enough to be appointed captain coach for the 1969 season when big Jack quit.
                          Hey mate...Neumann must have been as tough as that crazy pom Mal Reilly.

You obviously seen him play? What were your recollections then .

Comment

Brett Papworth or Shane Wherrit.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks Fur Coat View Post

Hey mate...Neumann must have been as tough as that crazy pom Mal Reilly.

You obviously seen him play? What were your recollections then .
                              Malcolm bit off more than he could chew one night,Billy Todd was working the door at Souths and he refused to allow Reilly to enter. Reilly invited Todd over the road and copped a beating. Unfortunately for Malcolm he didn't know Billy was the Australian middleweight champ at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Insider View Post

Malcolm bit off more than he could chew one night,Billy Todd was working the door at Souths and he refused to allow Reilly to enter. Reilly invited Todd over the road and copped a beating. Unfortunately for Malcolm he didn't know Billy was the Australian middleweight champ at the time.
                                I didn't know anyone would give Mal a beating! Interesting..

Comment

Working...
                                X