Announcement

Collapse

Premium Subscriptions are now Active

Premium Subscriptions to TheChookpen.com.au can now be purchased and activated by clicking this link here or by clicking your Username at the top right, then User Settings, then Subscriptions. Thanks for your ongoing support leading into 2020! For more information about Premium Subscriptions, please click this link.
See more
See less

Top 5 Toughest Roosters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top 5 Toughest Roosters

Who are the top 5 toughest players you have ever seen play in our colours?

I've only really seen the past two decades so for me it would be;

5. Sam Moa - Just a compact block of cement, hid hard, ran hard. Just tough and so underrated.

4. Nigel Plum - Absolutely loved this guy, would split blokes in half. Took so many head knocks but just kept on bending his back and breaking blokes.

3. Anthony Minichiello - I don't think I've seen an outside back charge with the same intensity year after year into a defensive line, he always put his body on the line and just played so tough.

2. Jake Friend - Plays above his weight every week and stories of the injuries he plays through on a weekly basis are ridiculous.

1. Adrian Morley - Who else? Hard as nails.

Comment

Morley , Bonetti, Friend, Phillips, Fitzgibbon

Comment

There are different types of toughness I suppose but for me you wouldn't get two tougher Roosters than Horrie Hastings and Hugh McGahan.

Comment

Michael Crocker probably deserves a mention
          "I don't think anything I've ever done is wrong" - Homer J Simpson

Comment

Keary is up there for me. I love the way he plays the game.
            Making Steve Naughton look like Vince Mellars...

Comment

Luke Phillips - Getting his head stapled and playing the 2002 grand final with a busted shoulder.
              Hugh McGahan - his famous bloody socks game.
              Simon Bonetti - being head butted by that big rock head Loti Tuquiri and coming back.
              Anthony Minichello - Being treated like a lawn dart by one of the McDruggal mob and not retiring.
              Adrian Morley - Absolute fearless monster on the field (his "Run at me, you *###@s in the 2002 grand final after Freddy got creamed is close to my favorite moment in Roosters games), absolute charming gentleman off it.

Comment

Cronk , Playing with busted shoulder in 2018 Grand final , plenty have got hurt in a game and continued but to take that into a Grand final, Physical and mental tough I reckon

Comment

Bunny Reilly
                  Simon Bonetti
                  Peter Cusack
                  Adrian Morley
                  Kevin Hastings

Comment

SKD and Fergo too for playing and winning a GF with broken bones suffered in the game
                    Get out of the way, I'm next

Comment

Adrian Morley, Diamond Phillips, Mick Crocker, Horrie Hastings, Ronnie Gibbs.
                      I'm sure there are many tough guys from the pioneer days who would make this list, but you can only go with the players you have actually seen play. I've basically gone with players who without fear would just throw their bodies on the line !

Comment

What a great thread.

I rate toughness based on size. The toughest player I have seen is Geoff Toovey. The guy was absolutely tiny and took on guys double his size. Played a lot at hooker where he was a target for the big men but never took a backward set.

At the Roosters Jake is as tough as I have seen. Small guy taking on the big men every week.

Comment

1. Mini... he came back after all those injuries and captained us to a premiership.
                          2. Friend... despite being a little nugget he takes on all the big guys and wins. Injuries don't seem to bother him either... he'll play with broken ribs and his lungs 1/2 full of blood if he has to... then show up the next week without any dramas.
                          3. Maubs... for his no bullshyte attitude. He'll play anywhere you ask him to, put in a solid effort and you'll never hear a peep from him. He's never injured either (although he's not a massive player).
                          4. Cords... has to make the list. A man of few words who has battled through crippling injuries earlier in his career and come out the other end as captain of Easts, NSW and Australia.
                          5. Fitzgibbon... as I've said previously, I used to be a Steelers fan before they merged. I was a fan of him then and was ecstatic when Easts signed him. IMO the very best forward of his time and one of the few who would probably go just as well in today's game.

Notable mentions:
                          - Beetson... never saw him play live as I'm too young but I think he'd be #1 for many.
                          - Fergo... the very definition of tough. Turned his life around and shook off some serious injuries in record time. Didn't let any of this hurt him... ran 200m a game for us and played out 1/2 a grand final with a broken leg (how?!?!?)
                          - Cronk... the whole broken bone thing.
                          - Andrew Walker... little guy with a lot of ticker.

Comment

As someone else said, there’s plenty of definitions of the term tough so thinking off centre, how about Nick Politis? I know he’s not a player but the title of the thread did say ‘Toughest Roosters’.

Of the players I’ve seen since the mid 70s, I would go with Mozza, Friend, Fitzy, Gillmeister and Salvo.
                            Build the wall. Keep the Drug Lords out!

Comment

Fergo and Mini, mainly for what they overcame on and off the field.
                              Fergo was thrown a lifeline and is now back playing for NSW, rightly so.
                              Mini's injury run would have forced most players into retirement

Comment

Working...
                              X