No announcement yet.

Top 5 Toughest Roosters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

30 comments and no one has mentioned Artie Beetson, the toughest player in the toughest position in the toughest era in Rugby League history. . He dominated every other prop in the game for over a decade, played Origin at age 35 and dominated. Grew up with nothing from humble beginnings and became the first Aboriginal to Captain Australia. Never took a backward step. Artie is the toughest and best ever Rooster, after him there are many, but Bunny Reilly, for tackling everything that moved and earning the nickname the AXE. Mini, for coming back from horrendous injury that would have finished a lesser player. Cronk, for his courage to play in the 2018 GF with a broken shoulder blade. many more as have been mentioned, but none better than these.

Comment

Horrie. 5 straight seasons without missing a game -- and in a very tough era.

Comment

I forgot about Horrie and Diamond...they have to be in there.

Maybe name your "toughest team" could work.

Comment

Originally posted by ism22 View Post
          - Andrew Walker... little guy with a lot of ticker.
          When he was "on" he was brilliant......when he was disinterested he was invisible. He could pull off a massive hit but then miss a heap of easy tackles. He wasn't little and i don't think he was overly tough

Comment

So many seem to think the bigger the tougher.

What about Cam Smith. I stood next to him last week. He’s pretty tiny. Has defended in the middle for over 450 games. Missed very few. He must be pretty tough. Dallas Johnson and Alan Tongue. Both very small men who played in the forwards for many years with distinction. They were tough.

In terms of bigger tough men. I can’t go past Ian Roberts. Use to get concussed continually yet rarely came off the field. He never preserved his body.
            Last edited by Thirteen; 07-08-2019, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Vautin
              Finch
              Anasta
              Soward
              Jason Hudson

From the 70's when there is very limited TV cameras, 1 ref & 2 touch judges. The games not only tough but violent.
              Artie
              Elwyn Walters
              Dennis Tutty
              Gavin Miller
              Ronny Gibbs

From the 80's not as dirty & violent as the 70's but still tough & violent.
              Hugh McGahan
              Trevoe Gillmeister
              Dave Trewella
              Tony Rampling

Its hard to think of a tough guy at the Roosters in the 90's
              Richie Barnett
              Jack Elsgood

Morley
              Crocker

Current era
              Friend
              Maloney
              Moa
              JWH
              Keary

I think because the 70's was so brutal I have to go with
              Artie
              Elwyn Walters
              Dennis Tutty
              Gavin Miller
              Ronny Gibbs

Comment

Originally posted by Thirteen View Post

In terms of bigger tough men. I can’t go past Ian Roberts. Use to get confused continually yet rarely came off the field. He never preserved his body.
                And when he got concussed he got confused too!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mickie Lane View Post
                  Vautin
                  Finch
                  Anasta
                  Soward
                  Jason Hudson

From the 70's when there is very limited TV cameras, 1 ref & 2 touch judges. The games not only tough but violent.
                  Artie
                  Elwyn Walters
                  Dennis Tutty
                  Gavin Miller
                  Ronny Gibbs

From the 80's not as dirty & violent as the 70's but still tough & violent.
                  Hugh McGahan
                  Trevoe Gillmeister
                  Dave Trewella
                  Tony Rampling

Its hard to think of a tough guy at the Roosters in the 90's
                  Richie Barnett
                  Jack Elsgood

Morley
                  Crocker

Current era
                  Friend
                  Maloney
                  Moa
                  JWH
                  Keary

Artie
                  Elwyn Walters
                  Dennis Tutty
                  Gavin Miller
                  Ronny Gibbs
                  You’re an old bastard Mickie.
                  What about the 60s?

Comment

You’re an old bastard Mickie.
                    What about the 60s?
                    Come on ya young punk show some respect.
                    60's to early for me kiddo.

Comment

Originally posted by Mickie Lane View Post
                      Vautin

Artie
                      Elwyn Walters
                      Dennis Tutty
                      Gavin Miller
                      Ronny Gibbs
                      Rambo Ron Gibbs was 80's and 90s

Comment

What is the definition of tough here?
                        Brutal ..Morely
                        Hard as nails JWH Best prop we have had.
                        Tough?plenty mentioned ...What about Jakey baby 50 to 60 tackles a match for 10 years runs the team..has a few flaws in his time..no one in his team can emulate what he does.
                        Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Comment

Originally posted by NorfolkStreetKid View Post
                          30 comments and no one has mentioned Artie Beetson, the toughest player in the toughest position in the toughest era in Rugby League history. . He dominated every other prop in the game for over a decade, played Origin at age 35 and dominated. Grew up with nothing from humble beginnings and became the first Aboriginal to Captain Australia. Never took a backward step. Artie is the toughest and best ever Rooster, after him there are many, but Bunny Reilly, for tackling everything that moved and earning the nickname the AXE. Mini, for coming back from horrendous injury that would have finished a lesser player. Cronk, for his courage to play in the 2018 GF with a broken shoulder blade. many more as have been mentioned, but none better than these.
                          Your right that Artie's toughness should not be overlooked . How many times he copped swinging arms to the head whilst he stood in tackles offloading the ball . On top of that he was one of the best in the game when he had to throw them . It's like his pace which was seriously underestimated he was always in the top 3 in the club over 100 metres . The greatest forward to ever lace on a boot and in my time watching the greatest rooster by a mile.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Brass View Post

Your right that Artie's toughness should not be overlooked . How many times he copped swinging arms to the head whilst he stood in tackles offloading the ball . On top of that he was one of the best in the game when he had to throw them . It's like his pace which was seriously underestimated he was always in the top 3 in the club over 100 metres . The greatest forward to ever lace on a boot and in my time watching the greatest rooster by a mile.
                            Artie had a lethal sneaky elbow./Forearm shot....Think he must of Taught JWH
                            Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Comment

So many seem to think the bigger the tougher.

What about Cam Smith. I stood next to him last week. He’s pretty tiny. Has defended in the middle for over 450 games. Missed very few. He must be pretty tough. Dallas Johnson and Alan Tongue. Both very small men who played in the forwards for many years with distinction. They were tough.

In terms of bigger tough men. I can’t go past Ian Roberts. Use to get concussed continually yet rarely came off the field. He never preserved his body.
                              Not Roosters....got ya on a small technicality.

Comment

Skd broken jaw gf. If it was measured on playing through injury this superhuman effort would be hard to beat. It's pretty hard to ignore an injury like that and play on

Comment

Working...
                                X