Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is Daniel Tupou a Roosters great?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by The Thracian View Post
    Many here would consider Mitchell Pearce a club great

    lets see, Toops has won one more premiership, has a far better origin record, has played an official test match for his country, has stayed loyal to the club on less than half the coin, is a pleasure to speak too and has never dragged this clubs name through the ringer.

    based on those principles alone yes he is
    pearce is a great, he is one of the greats of the modern professional era ........at partying.

    Comment


    • #32
      His record speaks for itself. And off the field he is a very humble, softly spoken person. Which is probably why he hasn't been involved in any BS.

      My hope for Toops over the next 5-6 years is that he

      1. Wins another couple of comps with us
      2 Scores another 70 odd tries (which will take him past Mimi's record for most tries scored)
      3. Plays out his career with us

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by The Thracian View Post
        Many here would consider Mitchell Pearce a club great

        lets see, Toops has won one more premiership, has a far better origin record, has played an official test match for his country, has stayed loyal to the club on less than half the coin, is a pleasure to speak too and has never dragged this clubs name through the ringer.

        based on those principles alone yes he is
        Unfortunately Mitchell Pearce will never be considered a Roosters GREAT. I can't knock his courage and he always gave 100% but he was never a top flight halfback. This is from left field but I honestly believe he would have been a much better lock or hooker than a half. Toups will be remembered fondly as a very talented winger and great clubman.

        Comment


        • #34
          Pearce would be an interesting one to debate. He was a club captain. He played 238 first grade games for the Roosters (5th all time). all 200+ gamers are Roosters greats - Mini, Ricko, Aubbo, Friend, Fitzy, SKDsy, Horrie and Freddy. He won a premiership for the club, represented his state on many occasions (though did not win too often), and was the Jack Gibson Medallist three times. But counting against him was his inability to win high pressure games (SOO and prelims) and his off-field incidents (girl in the yellow dress, and the dog humping). Also I think that the way that Cronk replaced him and promptly won a premiership (along with the broken scapula sidestory) has meant that we have focussed on Cooper and kinda forgotten Mitch. I think once some time has passed we'll probably see him as comparable to Lammy in that he was a fine player, but below the class of Mayes/Horrie/Cronk

          Comment


          • #35
            If he keeps going definitely yes his games improved outta sight in the last year.

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by HBK View Post
              Pearce would be an interesting one to debate. He was a club captain. He played 238 first grade games for the Roosters (5th all time). all 200+ gamers are Roosters greats - Mini, Ricko, Aubbo, Friend, Fitzy, SKDsy, Horrie and Freddy. He won a premiership for the club, represented his state on many occasions (though did not win too often), and was the Jack Gibson Medallist three times. But counting against him was his inability to win high pressure games (SOO and prelims) and his off-field incidents (girl in the yellow dress, and the dog humping). Also I think that the way that Cronk replaced him and promptly won a premiership (along with the broken scapula sidestory) has meant that we have focussed on Cooper and kinda forgotten Mitch. I think once some time has passed we'll probably see him as comparable to Lammy in that he was a fine player, but below the class of Mayes/Horrie/Cronk
              Finchy was better than all of them.

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by Mickie Lane View Post

                Finchy was better than all of them.
                That’s what Finchy said as well.
                Build the wall. Keep the Drug Lords out!

                Comment


                • #38
                  Has he played a better game than he played for us on Thursday? I thought he was brilliant. Many tough carries and very safe hands.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by Thirteen View Post
                    Has he played a better game than he played for us on Thursday? I thought he was brilliant. Many tough carries and very safe hands.
                    Yes i agree, he was outstanding. I thought he was very impressive on the tough thankless carries, hitting the line very hard

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      No...but he is absolutely a great clubman, and a high quality player.

                      I'm a bit stingy handing out the "Roosters great" tag though.
                      B2B is right on track.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by Jacks Fur Coat View Post
                        No...but he is absolutely a great clubman, and a high quality player.

                        I'm a bit stingy handing out the "Roosters great" tag though.
                        But what about if a panel of Roosters history experts and they had to name the greatest 13 in Roosters colours...would they pick Toups as the best left winger? In considering the amounts of games played and how many GF rings, he’d have to be highly considered.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          His game on ANZAC day was one of his best ever.

                          I really think he underachieved in seasons 15,16 and 17....and i know your all going to blast me for saying it- but i thought after 2013 he was going to be a dominant player not just a solid first grader.

                          Last year he started to play with confidence and this year has been his best start to a season yet. I'm loving the way he is running through the line on his kick returns and no longer backing his way into the defence to try a pop a pass. He is also way more confident in defence and when running in he is committing to stopping the ball from spreading and hammering the opposing centre. Now they are policing attacking players getting run off the ball in attack he can really use his height and jumping ability.

                          I hope i haven't gone off too soon but he looks like a player who knows he is bigger,stronger and faster than the guy who is marking him and is making his mark with aggression.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by Rooster_6 View Post
                            Not yet.

                            Time will cement his legacy at the club.

                            He is in the same boat as Liu, SST and Cornder for mine. If they left tomorrow they would be remembered fondly but if they stick around for another 5 years they will be remembered as greats of the club.
                            Geez hard judge with cordner. Club, state and country captain.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by Bigchook View Post

                              Geez hard judge with cordner. Club, state and country captain.
                              Yes I was thinking that...if Boyds not there already, he must be awfully close.
                              B2B is right on track.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by TheLoneRooster View Post
                                I love the guy with the following caveats:

                                1. Toops, you're a big guy, use your size more effectively when hitting the ball up
                                2. If you're not going to do point number 1, then don't let yourself get dragged back so far and so often
                                3. It's OK to smile occasionally, especially when you score a try

                                I haven't seen him get pushed back with any regularity since 2016.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Fatal error: Uncaught Invalid SQL: /** saveDbCache */ SELECT * FROM cacheevent WHERE cacheid IN ('node_779465_lvl1data','node_779465_lvl3data','vB_UserPerms3553','vBUserRep_3553','vBAtchmnts_779465','getSearchResults_85815ef14d982aaf76ac46bfa436a077','vBAtchmnts_779845','vBAtchmnts_779981','vBAtchmnts_779990','vBAtchmnts_779996','vBAtchmnts_780030','vBAtchmnts_780032','vBAtchmnts_780148','vBAtchmnts_781445','vBAtchmnts_781447','vBAtchmnts_781448','vBAtchmnts_781452','vBAtchmnts_781456','vBAtchmnts_781461','vBAtchmnts_781470','vBAtchmnts_781479','node_779845_lvl3data','node_779981_lvl3data','node_779990_lvl3data','node_779996_lvl3data','node_780030_lvl3data','node_780032_lvl3data','node_780148_lvl3data','node_781445_lvl3data','node_781447_lvl3data','node_781448_lvl3data','node_781452_lvl3data','node_781456_lvl3data','node_781461_lvl3data','node_781470_lvl3data','node_781479_lvl3data','node_779845_lvl1data','node_779981_lvl1data','node_779990_lvl1data','node_779996_lvl1data','node_780030_lvl1data','node_780032_lvl1data','n in /home/thechook/public_html/vb5/core/vb/database.php on line 1189