is Daniel Tupou a Roosters great?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HBK
    started a topic is Daniel Tupou a Roosters great?

is Daniel Tupou a Roosters great?

Daniel Tupou has never really been the club's premier winger (he was overshadowed by RTS and then Fergo), but he has still accomplished quite a lot since debuting at the end of 2012. Two premierships, and a try in each grand final. One Australian appearance. Played all three games in NSW's drought-breaking 2014 triumph. On track to bring up 150 games this season. 80 first grade tries (9th all time for the club).

So is he a club great? Perhaps not a star, but maybe a hardworking, dependable legend like Friendy/Maubs/Ricko?

• Tommy Smith
    replied
    All time Roosters greats in my time as a fan would imo be:

Brad Fittler
    Anthony Minichiello
    Craig Fitzgibbon
    Luke Ricketson
    Adrian Morley
    Mitchell Aubusson
    Jake Friend
    Jared Waerea Hargreaves
    Boyd Cordner

Morley only played 114 games but imo is a genuine club legend; so it extends beyond merely number of games played. Some players have that tangible aura, or the sense of being the embodiment of the heart and soul of the club.

Leave a comment:

• ROC181
    replied
    Originally posted by Jacks Fur Coat View Post

Yes lol...but that wasn't really the point. I think if you are naming a 'best ever' team you wouldn't be getting too hung up on who plays left or right etc.
    well I did say the best 13 Roosters of all time that includes left and right wingers and centres.

Leave a comment:

• Insider
    replied
    I think Minichello will be the next inductee, Robbo down the track if he gets another title which looks likely and possibly Cords if he sees out his contract and adds another title or 2 to go with all his captaincy honours

Leave a comment:

• Insider
    replied
    Club great would be a stretch for toops, but I think when we look back over his career in 5 years he would go close to making our team of the NRL era say. I look at our hall of fame with Freddy Artie Coote and Hastings as club greats of the players I've seen. Gibbo is also a hall of gamer

Leave a comment:

• zac
    replied
    It shouldn't be too specific, and not dependent on winning GFs, so Horrie and Salvo and maybe Hugh McGahan are Roosters greats.

But winning GFs is a factor so SBW might be a candidate, likewise Cronk, especially if we win another one while he's here.

Also, it's a bit of fun, so I like to think of John Rheinberger as a Roosters great. You're only as good as you're last game and he has the best strike rate of any rugby league player to have played the game.

Leave a comment:

• Jacks Fur Coat
    replied
    Originally posted by ROC181 View Post

Wasn't Bill on the right?
    Yes lol...but that wasn't really the point. I think if you are naming a 'best ever' team you wouldn't be getting too hung up on who plays left or right etc.

Leave a comment:

• zac
    replied
    Probably prudent not to hand out 'club great' until a guy retires or is close to retiring. They don't name 'immortals' until after they've retired.

Still, Toops, Boyd, Jared, Aubo and Jake are well on their way. And there's a few other guys in the current line up who could get there too.

Leave a comment:

• ROC181
    replied
    Originally posted by Random Rooster View Post

Yep Bill was a right winger.....and a real bloody good one at that
    Massive weapon!

Leave a comment:

• Random Rooster
    replied

Yep Bill was a right winger.....and a real bloody good one at that

Leave a comment:

• ROC181
    replied
    Originally posted by Jacks Fur Coat View Post

Mullins (Bill, not Brett).

Leave a comment:

• mattyh
    replied
    i dont really think of tupou as a club great, but a very good club man. it is a tough one but the only club greats i could name recently would be fittler, fitzgibbon , ricketson, mini. ive no doubt boyd will be to, prob jake as well. depends on your criteria i guess...for me im sort of judging on longevity, success, impact on field and club culture etc hence guys like sbw, maloney, cronk, i probably wouldnt consider...i guess the way the media portrays the player is a big part to anyone who follows league and sees mini thinks roosters, when somebody sees sbw they think mercenary despite his immense impact on our club .

Leave a comment:

• Rooster_6
    replied
    Originally posted by Bigchook View Post

Geez hard judge with cordner. Club, state and country captain.
    I don't think achievements outside of the club have any relevance to how they will be regarded in respect to being a club great/legend. Kevin Hastings is testament to that. I think it's loyalty/service to the club that means more to the fans who in the end ultimately define their legacy at the club.

They debuted a year apart, have played a similar number of games (Cordner 155, Tupou 140) and have both won a couple of premierships.

Look at Craig Wing, almost 200 games of service for the club, premiership winning player but because he went and played 28 games for the Rabbitohs before he retired the fans have never regarded him as a club great, maybe spoken about with fond memories and I don't think there's any hostility towards him but had he retired at the Roosters he would've gone out a hero, no doubt in my mind. SKD & Pearce both played almost 250 games for the club, neither will go down as club greats though, there's a lot of Tupou & Cordner's careers still to play out that's the only reason I group them in the same category.

In saying that Boyd Cordner is in his first year of a 5 year contract, his legacy is pretty much cemented but if hypothetically speaking he left for Newcastle in the next couple of seasons he wouldn't go down as a club great, call it fickle but it's reality.

Leave a comment:

• Jacks Fur Coat
    replied

But what about if a panel of Roosters history experts and they had to name the greatest 13 in Roosters colours...would they pick Toups as the best left winger? In considering the amounts of games played and how many GF rings, hed have to be highly considered.
    Mullins (Bill, not Brett).

Leave a comment:

• Tom Verlaine's Ghost
    replied
    Originally posted by TheLoneRooster View Post
    I love the guy with the following caveats:

1. Toops, you're a big guy, use your size more effectively when hitting the ball up
    2. If you're not going to do point number 1, then don't let yourself get dragged back so far and so often
    3. It's OK to smile occasionally, especially when you score a try

I haven't seen him get pushed back with any regularity since 2016.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X