How smart is Robbo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mattyh View Post
    i acknowledge that i was one of the doubters re the whole pearce / cronk debate, i was wrong in hindsight, but that is the whole point we are all wrong in hindsight, letting go of pearce and getting cronk was 100 % correct. for the first 8 rounds this year we looked crap, lets be honest, and anyone who doubted us was justified, in hindsight any doubt seems ridiculous...
    Cronk had done it all but to expect him to automatically take control of the side and deliver instant success, especially after his halves partner was sidelined for the pre-season and early part of the season proper, was as Michael Caton would say 'Dreaming'. The first sign of what was to be was the Roosters Newcastle game against our ex Roosters, notably Mitchell Pearce. The result was a no contest. The Cronk Keary combo played them off the park. But we still hadn't found our groove and to their credit Trent Robinson and the coaching staff took the blame, leading to the post Anzac Day turn around.

At the end of the season, and in the pre-grand final interviews, Trent laid it all out. He said that Cooper comes between himself and captain Jake. Meaning that Trent's the boss, Cronk is like a co-coach and then it comes down to the on field captains. Very few sides would have risked a player badly injured in the big dance. It was a measure of Cronk's worth and Robbo's opinion of his game management skills that the Roosters played that card. It was a winning deal. And one of our biggest and most memorable.

But at the start of the season even Teddy was copping it. We looked 100/1 to win the minor premiership, let alone the grand final. And look how wrong that criticism turned out to be. The fact is that the coaches listened to the players and everybody worked together. It doesn't happen overnight, especially when you change your chief playmaker. But I doubt anyone regrets that now.

Comment

• Super post Louis N, well done.

It will be interesting to see how they tweak the team given the loss of Fergo in particular. The other thing is if Angus, Lindsay and Poasa's hunger to win a premiership will be enough to drive the rest of the team to repeat the feats of 2018.
      "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• Robbo's won 2 from 6 so he's obviously pretty smart. But, and I'm not saying anything he doesn't know, past performance is no guarantee of future success. I think Des Hasler won something like 2 from his first 6. There are no guarantees Robbo will win another comp. (But I'd back him to do so!)

Comment

• Originally posted by TheLoneRooster View Post
          Super post Louis N, well done.

It will be interesting to see how they tweak the team given the loss of Fergo in particular. The other thing is if Angus, Lindsay and Poasa's hunger to win a premiership will be enough to drive the rest of the team to repeat the feats of 2018.
          Fergo is a huge loss as he was not only a great support for our pack in their own half, but a massive attacking weapon. Fergo not only ran more metres than any other player in all of the teams, but bagged 18 tries. He also filled in well at fullback when Teddy was on duty and must have come might close to the Jack Gibson medal. Some of his work, like the game saving hit on the rampaging Wests centre were spectacular.

I think Ryan Hall was a wise choice at roughly the same weight and style. Not quite as athletic as Fergo but they didn't nickname Hall WBW - or world's best winger for nothing. Then he did his knee, which was tragic for him at this stage of his career. Morris will provide experience but he's not in the same league as Fergo for attack. But we could do worse and he will provide mentoring for Bernard Lewis plus we could see Hall back to his best before the season is out.

Losing Matto is a blow too as he was our Mr Fixit and his defensive game had improved out of sight. He was developing more confidence in attack too and had a great game in the grand final. Matto lacks that Mitchell fire, but he was a willing workhorse who carried out Robbo's game plan to the letter. But Crichton offers far more attacking options, is faster, and providing he can steer clear of injury should play his best football with us. I'm looking forward to watching his development.

Agree that motivation is the key to going back to back. But this team, although young, also has plenty of maturity. If Cronk and Keary can hold their form, and our forwards do their job, I think we're as good a chance as any. I'm also hoping those young props come on. I think Poasa has to work on his endurance and defence though, Lindsay is getting close now and hopefully he will go to the next level in 2019.

Comment

• Robbo or whoever smart enough was to realized Pearce/Cooper is the missing link to our Finals success. Kudo to that person.

Comment

• Originally posted by ConGa View Post
              Robbo or whoever smart enough was to realized Pearce/Cooper is the missing link to our Finals success. Kudo to that person.
              Robbo reads the chookpen & that where he got the idea from.

Comment

• Originally posted by Louis N View Post

Fergo is a huge loss as he was not only a great support for our pack in their own half, but a massive attacking weapon. Fergo not only ran more metres than any other player in all of the teams, but bagged 18 tries. He also filled in well at fullback when Teddy was on duty and must have come might close to the Jack Gibson medal. Some of his work, like the game saving hit on the rampaging Wests centre were spectacular.

I think Ryan Hall was a wise choice at roughly the same weight and style. Not quite as athletic as Fergo but they didn't nickname Hall WBW - or world's best winger for nothing. Then he did his knee, which was tragic for him at this stage of his career. Morris will provide experience but he's not in the same league as Fergo for attack. But we could do worse and he will provide mentoring for Bernard Lewis plus we could see Hall back to his best before the season is out.

Losing Matto is a blow too as he was our Mr Fixit and his defensive game had improved out of sight. He was developing more confidence in attack too and had a great game in the grand final. Matto lacks that Mitchell fire, but he was a willing workhorse who carried out Robbo's game plan to the letter. But Crichton offers far more attacking options, is faster, and providing he can steer clear of injury should play his best football with us. I'm looking forward to watching his development.

Agree that motivation is the key to going back to back. But this team, although young, also has plenty of maturity. If Cronk and Keary can hold their form, and our forwards do their job, I think we're as good a chance as any. I'm also hoping those young props come on. I think Poasa has to work on his endurance and defence though, Lindsay is getting close now and hopefully he will go to the next level in 2019.
                Spot on Louis.

Comment

• Originally posted by Louis N View Post

I agree that Fergo is a big loss - but he did have an SKD-style clanger in him.

Morris was the best winger in the world a while back though I agree he isn't Fergo.

I am excited to see what Ryan Hall brings. He has won seven premierships and scored a few hundred tries. He's no joke but he is also getting on and coming off a reconstruction.

Sadly you can't keep them all and we have done ok as far as replacements.

I think they will be motivated to win it again and I think we are a massive chance to do so.

Comment

• Any one club that is too loyal to one coach can end up on the scrap heap.
                    Who the f posted this??
                    what a wanker.... get a life

as faras my views on Robbo.... good luck to him. He deserves every credit. I was definitely wrong about last year Happy to say so. It’s all good. As previously written I backed the chooks to win out of loyalty. Not out of judgement. Happy to take the cash.

I wonder about about next year ??
                    what happens when the players get sick of the 300 people that they were playing for??
                    are you one of the 300? I know I’m not. Haha.

We won a Comp when Sonny arrived
                    We Won a comp when Cooper arrived.

Happy New Year History would suggest easts are
                    a million to one to win it in 2019
                    Last edited by trewhella; 01-02-2019, 02:06 PM.
                    barbarian ......arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!!!!!!!

Comment

• Poor trewhella................

Comment

• Originally posted by trewhella View Post
                        Any one club that is too loyal to one coach can end up on the scrap heap.
                        Who the f posted this??

as faras my views on Robbo.... good luck to him. He deserves every credit. I was definitely wrong about last year Happy to say so. It’s all good. As previously written I backed the chooks to win out of loyalty. Not out of judgement. Happy to take the cash.

what happens when the players get sick of the 300 people that they were playing for??

I'll take those odds.

Comment

• Originally posted by trewhella View Post
                          Any one club that is too loyal to one coach can end up on the scrap heap.
                          Who the f posted this??

Didn't get chocolates for xmas? Grumpy carnt………….

Comment

• jesus christ, how miserable can one be ? i think we are every chance of going b2b, i know the odds are against us, but all the other contenders could potentially implode with souths/broncos coach swap , melbourne are significantly weaker then previous years, panthers getting cleary back and the gus gould shadow there, cronulla in absolute crisis, warriors losing johnson , only club who appears stable who has a strong roster is actually the dragons but the coach is a dud...of the rest the knights could spring a surprise

Comment

• Originally posted by mattyh View Post
                              jesus christ, how miserable can one be ? i think we are every chance of going b2b, i know the odds are against us, but all the other contenders could potentially implode with souths/broncos coach swap , melbourne are significantly weaker then previous years, panthers getting cleary back and the gus gould shadow there, cronulla in absolute crisis, warriors losing johnson , only club who appears stable who has a strong roster is actually the dragons but the coach is a dud...of the rest the knights could spring a surprise

I'm with ya on this. Lets remember that in 2014 we were knocked out, literally and figuratively, when Burgearse head shot on SBW that should have cost souths big time but since they were given a free ride by the refs all year, it wasn't going to happen so they were specials to win their 1st title in the NRL.

I have always had the belief that in league, it is hard to get yourself through another tough season to be competitive at your optimum after having won a premiership. The hangover lasts for a long time after winning it and having to lift themselves for 25 plus games is difficult. This same opinion was said by our friend Soward after we won and he said that if we can recover fast out of that hangover, we have a team that can go back to back otherwise we'll just fade away like everyone else.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rooster_6 View Post

Pretty boring forum if we can't talk about past comments.

God knows I still hear it about my comments from over half a decade ago. That's just part of the fun of having opinnions...

Not like I've gone after someone who is a friendly poster on here either. The guy chased me all year about these comments on Robbo's use of Latrell... don't feel too sorry for him.
                                I just read a bit from this bloke who has nothing better than to bring up old threads.
                                did I get under your skin mate? I think you would be used to that seeing you love the smell under Robbos foreskin.
                                great.....

now, why don’t you run through the forum little boy and find the threads where I was bagging you about Latrell?
                                off you go cheesy
                                barbarian ......arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X