Why are we roosters supporters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=redwhiteblue;
    Jack will like one to go under his fur coat.

Make that Safari Suit.

Comment

My family on my Mother’s side has a long history with the club. This goes back close to 100 years My Great Great Great Auntie and Great Great Auntie and other female members of the family would wash the jerseys in the 30s of legends such as Dave Brown. My great great Uncle was the 1st person to introduce tackle counts as stats Gerald Seymour was his name. He worked closely with Jack Gibson who saw the value in what he was doing for a hobby When Ron Jones told my Great Great Uncle his services were not needed Gibbo brought him over to Parramatta where they had great success I remember as a child I would talk to Uncle Gerald as we called him and he would always tell me how good Paul Taylor was from Parra workhorse fittest player he’d ever seen he would say Many of my family are or were life members of the club. My Great great Auntie passed away last Sunday and these stories were retold yesterday in her eulogy at her funeral Whilst I knew of the history as I was told many many times growing up it was great to hear these stories again Very proud of my families history with this great club
      Last edited by Andrew Walker; 11-28-2020, 02:29 PM.
      We used to have empires run by emperors. Then we had kingdoms run by kings.
      Now we have countries run by ………

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Walker View Post
        My family on my Mother’s side has a long history with the club. This goes back close to 100 years My Great Great Great Auntie and Great Great Auntie and other female members of the family would wash the jerseys in the 30s of legends such as Dave Brown. My great great Uncle was the 1st person to introduce tackle counts as stats Gerald Seymour was his name. He worked closely with Jack Gibson who saw the value in what he was doing for a hobby When Ron Jones told my Great Great Uncle his services were not needed Gibbo brought him over to Parramatta where they had great success I remember as a child I would talk to Uncle Gerald as we called him and he would always tell me how good Paul Taylor was from Parra workhorse fittest player he’d ever seen he would say Many of my family are or were life members of the club. My Great great Auntie passed away last Sunday and these stories were retold yesterday in her eulogy at her funeral Whilst I knew of the history as I was told many many times growing up it was great to hear these stories again Very proud of my families history with this great club

Andy, I am very sorry to hear of your great great auntie's passing and I love your family's proud history. Is your Uncle Gerald still alive? if so, please ask him if he knew Eddie Boulous, who was a founding member of the Eels and also their timekeeper for many years. Eddie was my brother in law's uncle and he passed away in 2012 sitting in front of Fox Sports with the remote in his hand, watching his beloved Eels. He gave Mum and I free tickets to the 1983 grand final in the Ladies stand and we got to sit with Jon English.
        "It's these little things, they can pull you under
        Live your life filled with joy and wonder"

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Walker View Post
          Great read

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Brass View Post

Great read
            You could say a great great great read.

Thanks for sharing with us Mr. Walker.

Comment

long story, small town kid from whangarei , nz, my father sat me down to watch the 1990 gf ...Penrith vs Canberra. great game, my dad pointed out to me that the young kid who scored a try was 18. I fell in love . brandy and the kid became my heroes.

91 was dream like, I was only 12 that gf was so sweet over Canberra.

92, things started going backwards at Panthers, Ben died, tragic. super league happened, brandy left, the wins dried then the kid left to followed the old coach. damn.

what's a kid to do , 95 I started following easts a little more closely till then they had been a non entity, neither gold coast poor, nor a finals threat.

96 I guess I inherited easts as my team, the kid was there now, 02 sealed my love.

every year I feel stronger about this team ...will never switch again.

that's the story.

Comment

Originally posted by mattyh View Post
                long story, small town kid from whangarei , nz, my father sat me down to watch the 1990 gf ...Penrith vs Canberra. great game, my dad pointed out to me that the young kid who scored a try was 18. I fell in love . brandy and the kid became my heroes.

92, things started going backwards at Panthers, Ben died, tragic. super league happened, brandy left, the wins dried then the kid left to followed the old coach. damn.

what's a kid to do , 95 I started following easts a little more closely till then they had been a non entity, neither gold coast poor, nor a finals threat.

96 I guess I inherited easts as my team, the kid was there now, 02 sealed my love.

that's the story.
                Interesting story Matty, in that one of my best mates was a Penrith tragic who followed Freddy (his idol) to Easts and that was that. He is Easts for life now and full on.

Makes me wonder how many Penrith divorcees are now Easts people?

You are as passionate a supporter I see on here by the way.

Comment

thanks Jack, yea I suspect I'm not the only one. funny, Penrith back then prob should have built a dynasty, but fate and mismanagement seemed to conspire against them.

for what it's worth I'm not expecting Penrith to win it next year either, they look flash in the pan to me .

I don't expect easts to win it either, but I expect 4 to 6, we're just building again. there's plenty of young blood here and quality young blood. well be right.

Comment

Originally posted by mattyh View Post

that's the story.
                    That's a great story Matty . I really enjoyed watching the 1991 Penrith team too as my boyfriend at the time followed them. He went on to marry someone someone else (she divorced him pretty soon after) and I got the joy of watching Freddy then play for the Roosters. I got the better deal I think looking back.

Lots of very important figures in rugby league like Jack Gibson, Johnny Peard and Artie also played and worked at Parra to mention just a small few as there have been many over the years between the 2 clubs and I like to think that my Dad wouldn't mind so much me abandoning the Eels to follow Easts instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by Andrew Walker View Post
                      Andy, I just got off the phone with my sister and brother in law in Melbourne. My brother in law remembers your Uncle Gerald very well as he did work with his Uncle Eddie for Jack. My brother in law echoes your sentiments re Paul Taylor (he was on my bedroom wall too alongside David Bowie ) as I read some of your post out to him. Uncle Eddie used to man the door for Jack and NO ONE was allowed into the dressing rooms without prior permission from Jack. Uncle Eddie was also in charge of the timekeeping for the sin bin and we always remembered when Mario Fenech pushed Uncle Eddie over when he said that he'd only been in the bin for 7 mins instead of 10 and ran back out onto the field when the Rabbits played out there. Uncle Eddie was a small man so it did not go down well - no-one would get away with that nowadays. I remember my brother in law coming to pick me up once when I lived on Clovelly Road and there was Mario driving his fancy car down the street when he lived at Bronte. I believe some curse words were said but only in Arabic so that doesn't count. . I think you met my brother in law and sister in my shop once when they were visiting as my brother in law is a big horse racing fan and I told him what you had said about how strange it was on Melbourne Cup day with no crowds. My sister said that in nearly 50 years of marriage, this is the first time she had seen her husband in trackpants and slippers on Cup Day - no suit (he told me later he was happy not wear a suit anyway ). He said to tell you that your great Uncle Gerald was indeed a very important part of the Eels staff and he remembers him. He and my sister also send their sympathies for your Great Great Auntie. This will be their first Christmas without his mum too. That wonderful generation of our great aunts, uncles, grandparents and parents carry a lot of history of wonderful stories to tell. Rugby League kept their spirits up during wars and now for our generation, this pandemic.

Comment

Working...
                      X