No announcement yet.

Why are we roosters supporters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Born in Bondi Junction and lived there for 32 years. My mum still lives there.

Old man and older brother were and are Chooks supporters.
    Born and bred in the eastern suburbs.

Comment

Originally posted by player 1 View Post
      Good thread idea.

My dad (who passed in 2015 - but got to see 2013 GF in person) was a roosters man all his life along with his dad. He was born in 1924 and grew up in poverty like many of that era. His mum died of TB at age 27 when he was 3. His dad drove a horse drawn laundry cart through the streets of Coogee and Randwick. My dad would wait outside the Coach and Horses Pub of an evening while his dad had a couple of well earned beers. They both saw Dave Brown playing for the tricolours. Dad left school in 4th form or so and worked a few jobs before getting into the Airforce in 1942 flying in Wellington bomber aircrafts in WW2 in Europe as a rear gunner/wireless operator. He was a fantastic morse code operator. Having survived the war he earned the opportunity as a returned serviceman to do his leaving certificate (HSC) and attend university, something he would never have normally afforded.

When I was around 8 years old my dad got my brother an Easts jersey and me a Souths jersey. So, to my shame, until 1970 I was a Souffs fan! After that I changed over to roosters as I got sick of fighting with my brother in the back of the car on the way home from games.

There were many Saturday and Sunday arvos spent going out to the old Sports Ground with the 3 of us watching "all grades". Dad would bring an esky full of beers (no RBT in those days!). I remember the pies, the guys selling "first try scoring double betting tickets" and peanuts in the shell. The smell of dencorub coming from the dressing room as the players came out. Running onto the field after the game to try and souvenir the corner posts and getting autographs from players in your autograph book.

If the game was close with 10 minutes to go, often we would leave as my dad "didn't want to watch" if we lost, LOL. So as we walked to the car and heard the crowd roar we didn't even know if this was good or bad!

We visited every suburban ground over the years except Penrith Park, including Belmore Oval and Lidcombe Oval with its skyscraper goal posts.

Many memories over the years and lots of emotion, good and bad. My brother and dad saw the 1974 GF live at the SCG, I stayed home and watched it live on TV - I was so nervous my mum gave me half of one of her valiums!! At age 12! I vividly remember Mark Harris's classic try to seal the win.

1975 and I wore a scarf and sunglasses and pretended to be a girl so I could use the SCG members ladies badge to get into the GF and see the 38-0 win from the Noble Stand.

Then a long premiership drought in spite of some great teams. I lived in Coff's Harbour in 2000, the year I started contributing to these forums. The Prelim win against Newcastle with the comeback sparked by Luke Phillips try and Freddy's intercept - I can still feel the excitement.

2002 I was still living in Coffs. 2013 and 2019 I saw the GFs in person, 2018 I arrived back in Sydney from overseas at half time to find out we led 18-0. OMG!! Then watched the second half at the pub.

I cannot complain one bit about the joy I've got from following this club. They have given me heaps.
      Wow amazing imagine seeing that point scoring wizard Dave Brown gee whiz a long and proud history of supporting this Great club wonderful read honestly thank you for sharing.

I live in the South West or Tigers countryland nobody in my family even knew what rugby league was all moved over from Eastern Europe in the 70’s, until one day my father decided to show me some of his most treasured photos which (apart from family pics)included pics with Bruce Lee, Chuck Norris and Johnny Raper he grew up in Dragons heartland Carlton then Bexley then Hurstville, he couldn’t afford the living costs so he moved us all out South West.
      I started watching rugby league about 99-2000 can’t remember exactly it was Mini’s debut year and my god I fell in love with him it was a game against the Bulldogs he was on fire and the rest is history my father would take me to 4-5 games per year depending on his work roster, nowadays my mother is a bigger fanatic then I am she hates the Rabbitohs with a passion I was over for dinner last weekend and she would turn in the Tele and scream in joy watching Souffs lose, my sisters were like the Roosters aren’t even playing and my mum just gave them both this look of ‘are you serious’ I knew that look I don’t think they understood, she can barely speak English very broken but she knew full well the hatred for the Scum.

I remember thinking to myself this is all my doing, and my father would glance at me and just giggle lmao.

Comment

Originally posted by rented tracksuit View Post

That explains a HELL of a LOT!
        lol.
        It was right up your alley.
        Still to this day I have never seen a bigger morton stock than Arties, I know why they called him big Artie.

Comment

So my story goes something like this...
          - I grew up in the Gong, supporting the Steelers as a little kid. My first game was Steelers v Raiders (some time in the 80's) and I enjoyed it a lot. In hindsight it was a good showcase of footy because it was two classic 80's teams going head to head in a pretty dirty, old stadium.
          - I was also a fan of the Illawarra Hawks (still am). Don't watch much B-Ball these days but TBH nothing beat those nights at the Snake Pit where they'd be playing classic 80's/90's basketball tunes + you'd get your chips and a coke with a Pog inside the cup. Honestly if basketball had kept up the momentum I probably wouldn't be an Easts fan.
          - The 90's happened. I moved to Sydney (got a scholarship to a bigish private school... had a single mum so this was massive). Started playing yawnion but our team was shyte... nobody trained, everybody smoked in 'the alley' instead of training and there were all sorts of drugs floating around by the age of 14. I was making state rugby teams + athletics teams but this was purely based on natural size/speed. The school wasn't training me properly so I got my own athletics coach out at ES Marks to see how good I could get with a bit of training.
          - While out at Marks I saw the Roosters training every night (a lower grade I think but it was a great vibe and they often included me in my training coz they got wind that I was only 14... I'd be doing sprints + beep tests against 18 year olds and kicking their butts so they got me to sign up with a local footy club).
          - I basically juggled footy + running for the next few years and started watching Easts games because we got free tickets from school and I was across the road from the stadium (literally). Had disconnected with the Steelers because they'd folded, I hated St George (they beat us in our 1 big year... what... circa 1992 or so with a controversial call) and I loved the way Easts played. Steelers v Raiders at old Win stadium was how tough guys play footy no doubt, but Easts were more structured and professional. The SFS felt pretty big/intimidating in comparison and again... Easts earned their way into games rather than relying on shonky tactics to get ahead (e.g. wrestling or pushing in the scrum). I was a runner and was starting to loathe the fact I had to play rugby for such a shyte school team (massive injury risk every week coz nobody was fit + we had cricket scores put on us every week... waste of time & nobody cared. I was way too competitive for that kinda bullshyte!)
          - Have been an Easts fan ever since. Got a sponsorship for athletics so started training out at Bankstown (often with the Doggies - SBW and El Masri were awesome) but despite all that (and all the lip I got for it) I remained an Easts fan.
          - While I haven't been a fan as long as some I feel like I had to wait at least a decade for our first premiership in my lifetime (2002). Also we've worked hard to earn 3 since. As a young Italian kid whose advantage became speed/footwork rather than size I loved seeing Minichiello play. I based my game + training around him and while I didn't make it, having Teddy as FB is even better than I coulda imagined.
          - People act as if we get given everything but what I've always liked is that we're a professional team with proper training structures/facilities. Having trained with a few NRL clubs (as an athlete I should clarify - NRL clubs have used my coaches + they always wanted to train with sprinters if it was gonna be speed sessions) Easts are a cut above. Some may not believe it but some NRL clubs have really amateur set-ups given all the $$$ that the game has. Like shyte gym and questionable trainers IMO.
          - My wife and kids are now fans despite us living in Canberra. Even my 5 year old trolls people at childcare by saying 'hey I saw the Vikings play the Roosters... and the Roosters won' (after the grand final). It's part of our family now and you defend your team rather than picking another when things look bad. I like that my kids learn that. Raiders got lucky this year and whatever, but that doesn't matter... that's not why you support a team.

Comment

Originally posted by Mickie Lane View Post

lol.
            It was right up your alley.
            Still to this day I have never seen a bigger morton stock than Arties, I know why they called him big Artie.
            It sounds like it was closer to your pie hole than my alley!

Love ya work ya toe toucher!
            FVCK CANCER

Comment

Originally posted by ism22 View Post
              - I grew up in the Gong, supporting the Steelers as a little kid. My first game was Steelers v Raiders (some time in the 80's) and I enjoyed it a lot. In hindsight it was a good showcase of footy because it was two classic 80's teams going head to head in a pretty dirty, old stadium.
              - I was also a fan of the Illawarra Hawks (still am). Don't watch much B-Ball these days but TBH nothing beat those nights at the Snake Pit where they'd be playing classic 80's/90's basketball tunes + you'd get your chips and a coke with a Pog inside the cup. Honestly if basketball had kept up the momentum I probably wouldn't be an Easts fan.
              - The 90's happened. I moved to Sydney (got a scholarship to a bigish private school... had a single mum so this was massive). Started playing yawnion but our team was shyte... nobody trained, everybody smoked in 'the alley' instead of training and there were all sorts of drugs floating around by the age of 14. I was making state rugby teams + athletics teams but this was purely based on natural size/speed. The school wasn't training me properly so I got my own athletics coach out at ES Marks to see how good I could get with a bit of training.
              - While out at Marks I saw the Roosters training every night (a lower grade I think but it was a great vibe and they often included me in my training coz they got wind that I was only 14... I'd be doing sprints + beep tests against 18 year olds and kicking their butts so they got me to sign up with a local footy club).
              - I basically juggled footy + running for the next few years and started watching Easts games because we got free tickets from school and I was across the road from the stadium (literally). Had disconnected with the Steelers because they'd folded, I hated St George (they beat us in our 1 big year... what... circa 1992 or so with a controversial call) and I loved the way Easts played. Steelers v Raiders at old Win stadium was how tough guys play footy no doubt, but Easts were more structured and professional. The SFS felt pretty big/intimidating in comparison and again... Easts earned their way into games rather than relying on shonky tactics to get ahead (e.g. wrestling or pushing in the scrum). I was a runner and was starting to loathe the fact I had to play rugby for such a shyte school team (massive injury risk every week coz nobody was fit + we had cricket scores put on us every week... waste of time & nobody cared. I was way too competitive for that kinda bullshyte!)
              - Have been an Easts fan ever since. Got a sponsorship for athletics so started training out at Bankstown (often with the Doggies - SBW and El Masri were awesome) but despite all that (and all the lip I got for it) I remained an Easts fan.
              - While I haven't been a fan as long as some I feel like I had to wait at least a decade for our first premiership in my lifetime (2002). Also we've worked hard to earn 3 since. As a young Italian kid whose advantage became speed/footwork rather than size I loved seeing Minichiello play. I based my game + training around him and while I didn't make it, having Teddy as FB is even better than I coulda imagined.
              - People act as if we get given everything but what I've always liked is that we're a professional team with proper training structures/facilities. Having trained with a few NRL clubs (as an athlete I should clarify - NRL clubs have used my coaches + they always wanted to train with sprinters if it was gonna be speed sessions) Easts are a cut above. Some may not believe it but some NRL clubs have really amateur set-ups given all the $$$ that the game has. Like shyte gym and questionable trainers IMO.
              - My wife and kids are now fans despite us living in Canberra. Even my 5 year old trolls people at childcare by saying 'hey I saw the Vikings play the Roosters... and the Roosters won' (after the grand final). It's part of our family now and you defend your team rather than picking another when things look bad. I like that my kids learn that. Raiders got lucky this year and whatever, but that doesn't matter... that's not why you support a team.
              Come on mate just tell us you go for Souths.
              Tell us how you & big Sammy boy used to do sprint training together & how he admired your sprint shortie shorts whilst he was using you to do arm curls & squats.
              I know you want to do some sprint training with Jack Wighton as well.

Comment

Originally posted by ism22 View Post
                Bloody hell , didn't actually read this because of the length but quite sure it's a good reason to follow the Roosters ,

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster1908 View Post

Bloody hell , didn't actually read this because of the length but quite sure it's a good reason to follow the Roosters ,
                  To summarise
                  He go's for the Chooks because he was given free tickets at school & he lived across the road from the Stadium but his main passion is lycra & sprinting so he moved to Bankstown. He then moved to Canberra to be close to his favourite player Jordan Rapana.

Comment

Some of these stories are incredible to read.

When I was young, (80's) my dad was a staunch Broncos supporter from Roma, and my mum worked at Tweed Seagulls as secretary to the football administrator.

Fortunately I was born on the Tweed, so mum's and my allegiance was to the Blues so definitely no QLD or donkeys for me.

I remember watching Fittler play for Sydney City around 1995? and we had family scattered from Maroubra to Wallerarang (blue mts) so we had plenty of family engagements we'd travel to Sydney for. (Mum grew up in Sydney.)

I remembered I liked the city of Sydney so the Sydney City Roosters plus Fittler peaked my interest.
                    It all got put on the backburner as I got heavily into bodyboarding and the NBA was followed big time at high school what with the bulls and everything.

Come 2000 I took note of the fact that "Sydney" had made the GF against the Broncos. I remember thinking it was unfair that Webcke was allowed to play with his broken arm in that cast thingy lol.

So in 2001 I ended up working for Bob and Michael Hagans sister and her husband. So it was all Knights this and that at the restaurant that year. A lot of the other employees had their own teams and there was of course running battles involving the footy which led me to want to pick a team to be involved.

Mum suggested I followed the mighty Sydney Roosters as she did support them in her youth.
                    Fast forward to the end of 2002, and mum, me and all the restaurant staff were at the Cooly hotel watching the chooks end their premiership drought.

Almost 20 years later im a proud chook.

GO EASTS.

Comment

Just received an email from the club saying that we've reached 11, 275 members already for 2021, the fastest membership uptake in the club's history...
                      "It's these little things, they can pull you under
                      Live your life filled with joy and wonder"

Comment

I grew up in country Qld with a sister who went to school with Wayne Bennett but we all followed Parramatta as I stayed with my auntie in Harris Park every school holidays. Funny how sometimes culture can come into it as my background is Lebanese and when we were very young, our cousins either followed Parra, Canterbury or Souths and this is more because of the geographical locations of the churches they attended being either Our Lady of Lebanon in Rosehill or St Marouns in Redfern. I was grateful to be a Parra fan back in the 1980's as it gave my Dad so much pleasure to see them win so much before he passed away when I was 15 and as a family it gave us something to focus on during my Dad's later years struggling with pain from WWII injuries and long term illness. BUT...on the side I always collected Easts cards too and I had Kerry Boustead, Royce Ayliffe, Paul McCabe, Marty Gurr & Ian Schubert on my school books (think Royce was on my home economics book), I made a red, white and blue crochet rug for a school project which I still use and also made a rooster made from copper in craft class. Mum was born in Qld but grew up down here so the she and I followed the Blues and my other sister follows Qld for Dad and the other sister doesn't mind either way. I lived in Clovelly for 4 years, worked at the bank at Bondi Junction and met a lot of Roosters fans when I moved into head office in Martin Place and by that time I was living in Rose Bay, it was the heady days of the early 2000's when we were winning a lot and our boys were always being voted Cleo Bachelor of the year etc...so what was a girl to do? When in Rome..... so Parra were my childhood sweethearts but the Eastern Suburbs Roosters are the love of my life..and my family can scatter my ashes down Dover Heights way...I'm in for life..

PS I do have a deep appreciation for all of the old Sydney clubs, traditions and grounds. One of my favourite childhood pastimes was watching the ABC matches with Debbie Spillane and Warren Boland,,no different from watching Countdown for me..my head is full of music and rugby league trivia from the 1970's & 80's..great nostalgia.
                        "It's these little things, they can pull you under
                        Live your life filled with joy and wonder"

Comment

My mum got me into the Chooks. As a kid my earliest memory was that preliminary final vs Tigers in 2010, best rugby league game of all time. From there it just started my deep learning of the game and its history. Still remember the preliminary game vs Newcastle where we smashed them and then the magical GF vs Manly. My best memory will forever be that 2018 GF. The biggest game I've been too live and one of the best nights of my young life. Never forget when leaving the ground and all the fans chanted Billy's a wan*er.

Comment

There has been some great stories ,better than bagging our players or team
                            in 2002 I decided at the last minute we had to go to the gf,I brought 4 tickets online and had to go to drummoyne at 9pm on the sat night,in the dark ,to a set of units ,was shitting myself ,boys 9 and 12 sitting in the car ,didn't think to much of it at the time that the guy was a kiwi ,well the tickets were right in the middle of the warriors fans,they were all pretty good and we had the last laugh

Comment

How good is this thread, something marketing could look into, maybe ask members why they are chooks supporters and use it in promotional blerbs

Comment

I gotta say, the ‘you’re a secret Souths supporter’ allegations are not only totally stupid, but they’re a stain on what is otherwise a great thread. One of the most joyful we’ve had in years.

Just dumbo nonsense. Pull your head in.

Comment

Working...
                                X