• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do you rate Keary?

Imo,

Tier 1: Wally, Kenny
    Tier 2: Freddy, Daley, Lockyer, Thurston
    Tier 3: Walters, Lyons, Lamb, Munster, Florimo (on a good day), Filipano (when playing for NZ)

I always had Keary in Tier 3. Maybe it's because he hasn't played Origin or the quality of 6's & 7's have been pretty poor atm.

But the way he has been playing this year, without Cronk, has exceed all my expectations. He has gone to elite level and may soon bypass Freddy - especially if we get a threepeat.

Absolutely irreplacable.

Freddy, Lockyer and Thurston are all tier ONE. Keary is very good, but not in the same class as Freddy and the other tier ones.
    Last edited by NorfolkStreetKid; 07-14-2020, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Firatly, your tiers are wrong. Freddie is a tier 1 player every day of the week.

Secondly, Keary would be on tier 2 at this stage but with time to elevate his status further

Comment

Something to assess at the end of his career. He's only entering his peak now.

SOO always has a big weighting in how highly a player is regarded. Keary still needs to debut..

Comment

yeah, wally would be tier 1 at soo level but at grade level maybe not.
          like others have said, freddy is tier 1. apart from having all the skills he was the best defender of most of the tier 1 type players.
          keary's played well for oz, so that counts but can't put him tier 1 without origin success. still, he's going good.

Comment

IMO Keary only really stepped up in 2018. Most of those names dominated the game from a much younger age.

Comment

Keary learnt nothing at Souths. He has had to learn the right way at the Roosters. He will come into his own over the next few years, hopefully playing Origin and staying major injury free.
              Sickie Lame .... King of Bestiality

Comment

Best in the business at the moment...that'll do me.

Comment

Freddy would stamp his authority when needed whether it was run, pass, kick or tackle. Complete player.

Keary has so much strike about his play. You would absolutely shit yourself if he was running in your direction at speed.
                  ..it’ll be interesting to see

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Pickett View Post
                    Imo,

Tier 3: Walters, Lyons, Lamb, Munster, Florimo (on a good day), Filipano (when playing for NZ)

I always had Keary in Tier 3. Maybe it's because he hasn't played Origin or the quality of 6's & 7's have been pretty poor atm.

But the way he has been playing this year, without Cronk, has exceed all my expectations. He has gone to elite level and may soon bypass Freddy - especially if we get a threepeat.

Absolutely irreplacable.
                    This is a pretty accurate assessment IMO, although I agree that Freddy is a bit above tier 2 (perhaps in between 1 and 2).

I like Rooster_6's comment about SOO. Luke needs to break into the NSW side and dominate there for a while. That point really contributed to making Wally what he was. Love or loathe QLD, he was unbelievable & dominant at that level.
                    MRR or Rabid

Some people believe supporting the Roosters
                    is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed
                    with that attitude. I can assure you it is
                    much, much more important than that.

(1981 Bill Shankly quote variation)

Comment

Originally posted by Mad_Rabid_Rooster View Post

This is a pretty accurate assessment IMO, although I agree that Freddy is a bit above tier 2 (perhaps in between 1 and 2).

I like Rooster_6's comment about SOO. Luke needs to break into the NSW side and dominate there for a while. That point really contributed to making Wally what he was. Love or loathe QLD, he was unbelievable & dominant at that level.
                      keary was very unlucky last year, thought he was a given until his head injury.

Freddy got a bit overshadowed in origin I think, Maybe because he played his career over 3 positions, dont think he fully dominated it.

Comment

Lockyer, Thurston, Freddy, Daley, Wally, Kenny & co were tier 1 5/8,s because they played consistently good for 10 years plus at all levels which Keary hasnt done yet but Keary is as good as any of those mentioned in his own right. Pound for pound no one gets him for courage & toughness.
                        But the best 5/8 that I have seen was Todd Carney in 2010. Incredible.

Comment

Where do I rate him? On the football field.

Comment

Originally posted by Mickie Lane View Post
                            But the best 5/8 that I have seen was Todd Carney in 2010. Incredible.
                            I had a beer with Todd at the 2013 grand final. He didn’t say but he was shattered not to be there. You could tell. Then he showed me this trick in the loo
                            ..it’ll be interesting to see

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Pickett View Post
                              Imo,

Absolutely irreplacable.
                              Interesting list!!

The easy part is Tier 1.....and thats Wally Lewis. By far the greatest player to lace a boot in the last 50 years. No player will ever be able to dominate at the highest level in State of Origin over such a long period- and against NSW sides were top notch too. Every bloody time you thought QLD were gone Wally would turn the game & lift the side. Those 20 plus metre passes he could fire on both sides that were pinpoint accuracy- it was just ridiculous. Pissed me off at the time- i was too young to appreciate i was seeing a once in a lifetime player.

Tier 2- Kenny, Freddy, Daley ,Lockyer, Thurston- all champion players

Tier 3- Lyons, Lamb Walters-yes! Florimo & Filipaina.... i'm guessing you're taking the piss

Keary & Munster still haven't played enough rep footy but they could easily slot into the Tier 2 class if the do have future success in rep games

Comment

Working...
                              X