Where do you rate Keary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

who gives a fark about tier 1 SOO
    For me Keary surpasses them all but Brett Kenny ..one more GF and he matches him .
    Kenny was 1+ so is Keary .
    Premierships and more premierships.
    I want that Saints streak
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Comment

I rate Mrs Keary much higher.
      Last edited by Thirteen; 07-15-2020, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Skeez View Post
        Freddy would stamp his authority when needed whether it was run, pass, kick or tackle. Complete player.

Keary has so much strike about his play. You would absolutely shit yourself if he was running in your direction at speed.

There's a current promo on Fox for the Raiders game and they talk about Keary and his vision to spot an opportunity and they show this frame of the video from the GF for the winning try where he's looking to where BJ is supposed to be defending while BJ is practically next to Luke trying to get back into position. Not saying that this was what Luke was thinking of at that split second, but if it was, it shows how quick & committed he is when opportunity knocks. He backs himself and most times, we are winners!
        Last edited by ROC181; 07-15-2020, 08:44 AM.

Comment

Best at the moment. He has to star at rep level still.

Comment

I'd let him kick my dog.

Chook.

Comment

What does it even matter? TBH I don't even agree with your 3 tiers, so there's no real use in me adding to it.

How about...
              1. Immortal
              2. Rep hero
              3. Kanagaroos grade
              4. Origin grade
              5. Club hero
              6. Regular 1st grader

Right now he's in a complex situation because he's played for the Kangaroos but not Origin (due to injuries).

I'd say he's 3rd tier right now because he hasn't dominated at rep level yet. He's got a lot of years worth of footy left in him and I suspect he'll see a decent amount of success. Not a lot else I can say there.

Originally posted by Johnny Tobin View Post
              Best at the moment. He has to star at rep level still.
              Bingo. I mean from a technical perspective he's better than Brett Kenny and Wally Lewis (the game has moved on so much since those days!) However, if he retired tomorrow, you wouldn't see people erecting bronze statues of him outside the SFS.
              Last edited by ism22; 07-15-2020, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Keary does what he does on the back of great forwards.
                Freddy I thought could do it all himself.

Comment

Originally posted by zac View Post
                  yeah, wally would be tier 1 at soo level but at grade level maybe not.
                  like others have said, freddy is tier 1. apart from having all the skills he was the best defender of most of the tier 1 type players.
                  keary's played well for oz, so that counts but can't put him tier 1 without origin success. still, he's going good.
                  Very true indeed.
                  FVCK CANCER

Comment

I must be the only one who thinks that Freddy was better than Wally. Wally was great in SOO granted, but so was Freddy. Both played in great rep teams. IMO Freddy was better in club land, whereas Wally spent a large amount of his career playibg in the Qld comp which wasn't up to the standard of NSWRL

Comment

Freddy is still the most complete player that I've ever seen, alongside Joey & SBW. He was a complete attacking player with his devastating running game complimented by his beautiful long passing game.

Freddy was also the best defensive back I've ever seen. I remember a Roy Masters article which showed that his 10m zone on the field conceded the fewest trys in the league every year of the Sticky era.

And given that defence wins Premierships, I feel as though it's criminally under appreciated in evaluating players. Which is why I'll always rate Freddy above Lockyer & Thurston.

And then you have his great leadership and versatility. How many players in history have been an all time great in the backs and forwards? (5/8 and lock). Not to mention a brilliant centre.

Freddy is easily tier 1 and should be an Immortal imo.

As for Keary, he's head and shoulders above any other half in the comp atm. Tough as nails and just a devastating attacking player. So instinctual - a natural footy player who plays what he sees. He's also a big game player.

Similar to Jimmy Maloney in many ways, but a slight class above imo.

Keary is so good that I'd shift Freddy to lock to accommodate Keary at 5/8 as part of the best Roosters team that I've seen.

Comment

good pts tommy.

soo is the most consistently competitive league arena in the world but it's not the only test of a player. maybe you can't call yourself a great if you don't excel there but a player like cliffy lyons probably presented more value to their clubs than some guys who regularly played origin.

consistency is a factor. olsen filipaina gave a motm performance for the kiwis in 1985 at a time when he was playing reserves for us.

Comment

I'd agree with the comment about Carney. He was unbelievable that year.

Comment

Keary is a club genius in the Cliffy Lyons mould. For shellfish reasons I don't think he should risk the rep arena. One more concussion and it's over, surely?

Comment

Originally posted by Bansai Pipeline View Post
                              Keary is a club genius in the Cliffy Lyons mould. For shellfish reasons I don't think he should risk the rep arena. One more concussion and it's over, surely?
                              Says everyone but Luke Keary.

Comment

Originally posted by Sweathog_18_19_20

Freddy is my favourite all time player as well. Perhaps because we are the same age but Freddy is the best I have seen.
                                agreed mate, love Freddy.

Comment

Working...
                                X