No announcement yet.

Where do you rate Keary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keary isn't the biggest, strongest ,quickest or most technically blessed 5/8 in the game but he's the best to pounce upon an opportunity and his sense of anticipation is uncanny.
    He reminds me of Terry Lamb in that regard , things happen around him and he plays the short side better than any other half and is deadly against a retreating defence.
    Cronk put the polish on him as far as managing a game and he's an out and out winner.
    Agree with others that mentioned he hasn't done it at the highest level yet but he should get his overdue opportunity this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Headless Chook View Post
      Firatly, your tiers are wrong. Freddie is a tier 1 player every day of the week.

Secondly, Keary would be on tier 2 at this stage but with time to elevate his status further
      Maybe.

I'd still put Freddy behind Wally and Kenny in the top tier though.

Comment

Originally posted by The Sack View Post
        Keary learnt nothing at Souths. He has had to learn the right way at the Roosters. He will come into his own over the next few years, hopefully playing Origin and staying major injury free.
        Agree.

Reynolds was the dominant half when they were both at Souffs, but if you see their progress, Keary has hopped over the bunny in leaps and bounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy Smith View Post
          As for Keary, he's head and shoulders above any other half in the comp atm. Tough as nails and just a devastating attacking player. So instinctual - a natural footy player who plays what he sees. He's also a big game player.

Similar to Jimmy Maloney in many ways, but a slight class above imo.
          Yep, I find his style similar to Jimmy but I reckon Keary's a better defender. Both big match players and just all out winners.

Love em both.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy Smith View Post
            Freddy is still the most complete player that I've ever seen, alongside Joey & SBW. He was a complete attacking player with his devastating running game complimented by his beautiful long passing game.

Freddy was also the best defensive back I've ever seen. I remember a Roy Masters article which showed that his 10m zone on the field conceded the fewest trys in the league every year of the Sticky era.

And given that defence wins Premierships, I feel as though it's criminally under appreciated in evaluating players. Which is why I'll always rate Freddy above Lockyer & Thurston.

And then you have his great leadership and versatility. How many players in history have been an all time great in the backs and forwards? (5/8 and lock). Not to mention a brilliant centre.

Freddy is easily tier 1 and should be an Immortal imo.

As for Keary, he's head and shoulders above any other half in the comp atm. Tough as nails and just a devastating attacking player. So instinctual - a natural footy player who plays what he sees. He's also a big game player.

Similar to Jimmy Maloney in many ways, but a slight class above imo.

Keary is so good that I'd shift Freddy to lock to accommodate Keary at 5/8 as part of the best Roosters team that I've seen.
            Really well put together Tommy and couldn't agree more. Went back and watched a lot of Freddy during lockdown and cant work out why he doesn't feature in Immortal discussions more.
            He really was the complete footballer. Outstanding in attack and defence while also being tough, versatile and a great leader. Freddy also excelled at every level of the game and I swear you could hear his long ball fizz through the air when he let it go.

Keary can be anything. I expect him to do well at Origin level if that is what's required to elevate his status. The tempo will suit him; he has a real eye for opportunity and generally ices the moment when it presents. The other thing I love about Keary is his toughness and that hint of mongrel you see every now and then. That moment in the semi last year when Kaufusi "palmed" him in the face and he respond by grabbing him by the hair and ending his night with a nice little swinging arm across the chops. Loved it.

Comment

Johnny Peard was a great 5/8 too

Comment

Roosters Legend! I’m glad we discovered his talent.

Comment

Originally posted by Seventy Five View Post

Really well put together Tommy and couldn't agree more. Went back and watched a lot of Freddy during lockdown and cant work out why he doesn't feature in Immortal discussions more.
                  He really was the complete footballer. Outstanding in attack and defence while also being tough, versatile and a great leader. Freddy also excelled at every level of the game and I swear you could hear his long ball fizz through the air when he let it go.

Keary can be anything. I expect him to do well at Origin level if that is what's required to elevate his status. The tempo will suit him; he has a real eye for opportunity and generally ices the moment when it presents. The other thing I love about Keary is his toughness and that hint of mongrel you see every now and then. That moment in the semi last year when Kaufusi "palmed" him in the face and he respond by grabbing him by the hair and ending his night with a nice little swinging arm across the chops. Loved it.
                  That was pretty much a punch from kaufusi, the look on kearys face when he pulled out that tuft of hair had me in stitches.

Comment

Tonight he single handedly won us the game against the Warriors IMO. It was tight... he scored the winning try all by himself then kept them at bay by forcing a string of repeat sets over a ~20 minute period.

Keary's talent just went up a notch in my books. Not quite a legend yet but IMO a VERY quiet achiever. Best man in the business right now I reckon...

Comment

The 3peat cant be done without him. No Keary no 3peat.

Comment

I think keary is a five eight great he just needs to keep pushing he showed glimpses in the second half, I just feel he needs to take control of every game if we’re to 3peat

Comment

Working...
                        X