Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bondi.boy View Post

ANZUS Alliance! Our only hope!

USA is the largest investor in our economy.

Without brave Americans there would not be an Australia, let alone Sydney Roosters.
    Next time you see American sailors at our footy matches you might want to bow down and give thanks.
    True...they are our kindred spirits, we need them.

Comment

• Originally posted by ism22 View Post

Yeah. Before COVID-19 I wasn't particularly keen on the idea of other illnesses spreading within one.
      Norovirus. The gift that keeps on giving.

Comment

What if they're here on legal visas and are abiding by all the rules?
        What if...they're older folk from Britain who are staying with family , or staying in hotels?

Tourists from Spain, Italy, Britain, France here on a 6 month tourist visa, staying with family, obeying all the rules?

Read my post again. Dont risk clogging up our health care system in a time when WE need it. Go back to your country of origin and get the help you are entitled to there.

Would you be happy for you or a loved one of yours to be denied access to health care in your own country if a tourist was taking up the bed and care when you need it most? I think not.

This isnt the time to be 'nice'. Its the time to get real. Its not race or hate related but about looking after ourselves right now. Australia always looks after others when they are in need but this isnt a cyclone or an earthquake which is over in a few hours. This is hanging around and is going to be here for a very long time. We need to clear our decks, be ready for what is happening and put ourselves first. Tourists can be put first in their own countries.

Ever read a safety card on a plane? Always put your face mask on before assisting others.
        FVCK CANCER

Comment

• Originally posted by Johnny73 View Post

Norovirus. The gift that keeps on giving.
          I thought that was syphilis?
          FVCK CANCER

Comment

• Originally posted by rented tracksuit View Post

Read my post again. Dont risk clogging up our health care system in a time when WE need it. Go back to your country of origin and get the help you are entitled to there.

Would you be happy for you or a loved one of yours to be denied access to health care in your own country if a tourist was taking up the bed and care when you need it most? I think not.

This isnt the time to be 'nice'. Its the time to get real. Its not race or hate related but about looking after ourselves right now. Australia always looks after others when they are in need but this isnt a cyclone or an earthquake which is over in a few hours. This is hanging around and is going to be here for a very long time. We need to clear our decks, be ready for what is happening and put ourselves first. Tourists can be put first in their own countries.

Ever read a safety card on a plane? Always put your face mask on before assisting others.
            Wow you read that shit?

Comment

• Originally posted by Thirteen View Post

Wow you read that shit?
              Only once. I have the body of an elephant and the memory to go with it!
              FVCK CANCER

Comment

• https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...b18ea278056ce2

An enraged shopper has filmed the moment shoppers were caught hoarding what appears to be trolley loads of baby formula inside a Coles store.
                The woman had been shopping at the Hurstville supermarket on Friday night when she noticed the ‘team’ at work.

Shocking footage that was posted on social media shows trolleys and bags apparently filled with the highly sought-after baby formula stacked near the exit of the shop.

“In the height of a worldwide pandemic and empty shelves in your stores everyday, can you please explain to me how people, who are known hoarders of baby formula, are still able to get around your store policy and buy your whole supply of baby formula in 1 hour?,” wrote Natalie Christofidellis.

“I arrived at your store at 9pm to do my grocery shop while the store was quiet and as you can see in the video, four customers were bulk purchasing baby formula.”
                Ms Christofidellis. said she witnessed the customers lining up at the counter, where the baby formulas were kept in boxes, to purchase the maximum four tins.
                At least five trolleys full of boxes of baby formula were lined up.

“They put it in their trolley literally just outside the register, not even outside the store, and then walk back through the isle and line up again,” she said.
                "Nothing was left behind the counter for your customers tomorrow. Your staff said as long as it is 4 per transaction it’s OK because you need to sell your products."

“Parents and our Australian childcare centres can’t even get formula to feed the babies we care for,” Ms Christofidellis said.

#####

Well there you go.

Last edited by bondi.boy; 04-04-2020, 12:34 PM.

Comment

What if they're here on legal visas and are abiding by all the rules?
                  What if...they're older folk from Britain who are staying with family , or staying in hotels?

Tourists from Spain, Italy, Britain, France here on a 6 month tourist visa, staying with family, obeying all the rules?
                  It's a thing. For example I'm a Japanese PR and was given a stimulus cheque during the GFC because I lived there, worked there, paid my taxes and had a wife & kids over there. Importantly, I'd also paid $$$ for medical insurance (which was compulsory - woulda gotten free Medicare in Australia). It woulda been pretty shyte if their PM was like 'GTFO buddy coz you're not a citizen'.

IMO one challenge with this is that there are potentially a significant number of dual citizens and PRs who don't pay tax here or live here but have the luxury of saying (for example) 'my life's here but I'll be better off being in Australia rather than [country where shyte has hit the fan]'. In my jurisdiction it's a simple fact that aside from 1 unexplained case, all infections have come from people 'returning home' or doing so and spreading to their friends/family.

Personally, I reckon everybody should stay put where they are for now coz it's international flights and airports where everybody's getting sick. Health insurance is a thing. I dunno how to solve that. However, we took that risk by allowing people into the country for their sweet sweet $$$$ (this is simply a risk of enterprise). I reckon that ideally it would all even out if this happened because less people would be returning to Australia and less would be leaving... bit of both.

International students? Most have to demonstrate they have $200,000 in the bank before they can get a visa... surprise surprise... for exactly this reason! They are at no risk of starving or being a burden to our system. Leave them be IMO. I can totally respect that many people don't wanna go anywhere near a plane, cruise ship or airport right now and would prefer to sit at home (paying rent and spending $$$ on food within Australia's economy).

Comment

• Anyone who hasnt already made their way home is nuts. I have PR and a home here so I chose to stay. Kick the backpackers and tourists out asap.

Comment

International students? Most have to demonstrate they have $200,000 in the bank before they can get a visa...).
                      What are you talking about? That is not even close to true. Jesus.

Comment

• Originally posted by Old Man Rooster View Post
                        Anyone who hasnt already made their way home is nuts. I have PR and a home here so I chose to stay. Kick the backpackers and tourists out asap.
                        Bingo. If you are on a PR and contribute the country in which you choose to reside then you are entitled to the benefits afforded to you including care during times like these but if you are not and you are a visitor, time to get home and let your own country look after you.
                        FVCK CANCER

Comment

Agian spot on. Its not a dollar amount but proof that they can self support for at least 12 months without working in Aus I believe.
                          FVCK CANCER

Comment

It's a thing. For example I'm a Japanese PR and was given a stimulus cheque during the GFC because I lived there, worked there, paid my taxes and had a wife & kids over there. Importantly, I'd also paid $$$ for medical insurance (which was compulsory - woulda gotten free Medicare in Australia). It woulda been pretty shyte if their PM was like 'GTFO buddy coz you're not a citizen'.

IMO one challenge with this is that there are potentially a significant number of dual citizens and PRs who don't pay tax here or live here but have the luxury of saying (for example) 'my life's here but I'll be better off being in Australia rather than [country where shyte has hit the fan]'. In my jurisdiction it's a simple fact that aside from 1 unexplained case, all infections have come from people 'returning home' or doing so and spreading to their friends/family.

Personally, I reckon everybody should stay put where they are for now coz it's international flights and airports where everybody's getting sick. Health insurance is a thing. I dunno how to solve that. However, we took that risk by allowing people into the country for their sweet sweet $$$$ (this is simply a risk of enterprise). I reckon that ideally it would all even out if this happened because less people would be returning to Australia and less would be leaving... bit of both.

International students? Most have to demonstrate they have $200,000 in the bank before they can get a visa... surprise surprise... for exactly this reason! They are at no risk of starving or being a burden to our system. Leave them be IMO. I can totally respect that many people don't wanna go anywhere near a plane, cruise ship or airport right now and would prefer to sit at home (paying rent and spending $$$ on food within Australia's economy).
                            I think more the point is not a burden on financial system but more a burden on our health system , for me they should return home if its safe to do so and they have a residence to go to in there country . Not quite sure if I would be comfortable sending someone home to certain death

Comment

The legislation doesn't expressly say $200k but in the industry, that's the rule of thumb they'll use for determining whether you have enough $$$ to pay for yourself + a bachelor's degree. You'd need health insurance on top of that too.

Do the maths. You're not gonna be able to demonstrate you can pay for airfares, accommodation ($20-$30k a year), food ($15k+), plane tickets, domestic transport, international student fees ($50-$100k a year for many degrees)...etc a serious income, a high-profile scholarship or a serious amount of $$$ sitting in the bank.

Jesus (who is a fictional character BTW)...

Originally posted by Rooster1908 View Post
                              I think more the point is not a burden on financial system but more a burden on our health system , for me they should return home if its safe to do so and they have a residence to go to in there country . Not quite sure if I would be comfortable sending someone home to certain death
                              Exactly my though.
                              Last edited by ism22; 04-04-2020, 03:12 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rooster1908 View Post
                                By sending them home is certain death??? That'l do me! If its certain in their home country, why not here? We are not immune and are scrambling to look after our own already.
                                FVCK CANCER

Comment

Working...
                                X