No announcement yet.

Club Statement On Latrell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m over him next please. Billy Smith has the right attitude and is appreciative, he will be huge in the centres.

Comment

Make no mistake, this is a shame. A very sad outcome. Here is a player that we developed from 15 years old to become one of the best players in the game. A great attacking weapon whose defence in the GF was very good. He has so much more potential to be the best player in the game. He’s only 22. He is a massive loss to our team. All the reactions from other players in the team were hoping he would stay. It’s become crystal clear Uncle Nick doesn’t want him anymore. I for one have mixed feelings about the whole mess that has unfolded. Latrell has been one of my favourite players. I have met and spoke with him in a number of occasions and he was always friendly and happy to chat every time. It would be an understatement to say that he draws a crowd and puts bums on seats. I am also angry about how he has acted through this mess. He has listened to the wrong people and stuffed up the chance to stay where he was taken care of and well paid. His future is clouded and he doesn’t seem to be concerned going by his Instagram posts. He is young and very naive. I think he already regrets his decision to not grab our offer. Obviously, blaming his manager who has now been sacked. I feel he actually wanted to stay but that option was lost when he didn’t accept the clubs offer straight away.
      As I said, I believe he’s gone because Nick doesn’t want him anymore. I am conflicted, sad, angry and hoping this decision by the club won’t come back to bite us. Nick doesn’t make too many mistakes. Let’s hope his decision to not try to keep Latrell isn’t one of them because I think if Nick had been open to re-negotiating Latrell would have stayed.

Comment

Good post Rooster Chick, I agree with your comments.
        MRR or Rabid

Some people believe supporting the Roosters
        is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed
        with that attitude. I can assure you it is
        much, much more important than that.

(1981 Bill Shankly quote variation)

Comment

Originally posted by RoosterChick View Post
          Make no mistake, this is a shame. A very sad outcome. Here is a player that we developed from 15 years old to become one of the best players in the game. A great attacking weapon whose defence in the GF was very good. He has so much more potential to be the best player in the game. He’s only 22. He is a massive loss to our team. All the reactions from other players in the team were hoping he would stay. It’s become crystal clear Uncle Nick doesn’t want him anymore. I for one have mixed feelings about the whole mess that has unfolded. Latrell has been one of my favourite players. I have met and spoke with him in a number of occasions and he was always friendly and happy to chat every time. It would be an understatement to say that he draws a crowd and puts bums on seats. I am also angry about how he has acted through this mess. He has listened to the wrong people and stuffed up the chance to stay where he was taken care of and well paid. His future is clouded and he doesn’t seem to be concerned going by his Instagram posts. He is young and very naive. I think he already regrets his decision to not grab our offer. Obviously, blaming his manager who has now been sacked. I feel he actually wanted to stay but that option was lost when he didn’t accept the clubs offer straight away.
          As I said, I believe he’s gone because Nick doesn’t want him anymore. I am conflicted, sad, angry and hoping this decision by the club won’t come back to bite us. Nick doesn’t make too many mistakes. Let’s hope his decision to not try to keep Latrell isn’t one of them because I think if Nick had been open to re-negotiating Latrell would have stayed.
          You are right. It is the same or worse than losing a 22 year old Greg Inglis. Onwards and upwards.

Comment

Im withya RoosterChick, once in a lifetime player.

Comment

Originally posted by Mickie Lane View Post

Im withya RoosterChick, once in a lifetime player.
              Wow big call, whilst it’s true he’s won 2 premierships and SOO series as well as playing for his country, but to be once in a lifetime is something that should be reserved until he has played 7-10 seasons and shown consistency over that period.
              Lattrell has been wonderful for the last 2 years, but I’ll wait a little bit before I form that opinion of him. He definitely has the potential to attain that, but it is up to him to realise it.

Comment

Originally posted by OMR View Post

Wow big call, whilst it’s true he’s won 2 premierships and SOO series as well as playing for his country, but to be once in a lifetime is something that should be reserved until he has played 7-10 seasons and shown consistency over that period.
                Lattrell has been wonderful for the last 2 years, but I’ll wait a little bit before I form that opinion of him. He definitely has the potential to attain that, but it is up to him to realise it.
                Its only my opinion mate & we know what opinions are like.

Comment

The Storm didn't skip a beat when Inglis left. There's every reason to believe we will transition just as seamlessly.

There's no doubting his talent. I actually think he's more talented than GI. Though I don't for a second think he's close to the world's best as Teddy is miles ahead atm just as Slater was miles ahead of GI for 9/10ths of their respective careers.

The reason we can move on from his absence fairly seamlessly is because, despite his talent, I don't believe he was ever one of our 5 most important players.

Teddy, Keary, Cooper, JWH, Cordner, SST and Radley were all more important imo. Friend was too until Verrills hit the scene.

That's just the nature of centres. They can be lethal, and its great to have two Ferraris, but when balancing a roster that's always where you'll look to make the first cuts - way before the spine and your middle 3rd. One Ferrari in Manu and one young gun in Smith is enough and still better than anyone else.

So I'm over him leaving. I'm just not over him joining the scum, where he'll end up playing centre anyway because he doesn't have the engine or work ethic for fullback.

And I don't buy into the "Wayne will get the best out of him" BS. Roberts and Gagai were disinterested puss last year. And before that Milford went dramatically downhill under the Milfhunter. So I don't see Mr Father Figure as the alchemic cure to Latrine's lethargy.
                  Last edited by Tommy Smith; 01-09-2020, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Plus we all know he is not going to get the service which Luke gave him. When Luke wasn’t there neither was he. Only 6 weeks this weekend till our first game. Bring it on. 3peat.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce 38-0 View Post
                      Plus we all know he is not going to get the service which Luke gave him. When Luke wasn’t there neither was he. Only 6 weeks this weekend till our first game. Bring it on. 3peat.
                      i wanted to post this because I thought the keary short kick to Mitchell for a 80m try was sublime, but then watching what we won’t get anymore started to sink in. The field goal v storm was also freakish.

When he is on, there is not much that can stop him.

https://youtu.be/edZOdNHGU_g

Comment

Sometimes its easy to forget how bloody good he is , pity he is leaving but what's done is done and I'm sure we will move on quickly

Comment

Cold hard fact is that no matter how lethal he is, he doesn't want to play for the Roosters anymore. 800k is more than decent enough coin to stay.

If that amount of money can't make him fire for us, then nothing will. It's in his head and that's the shame.

Comment

Even if it is a mistake Nick and Robbo get a pass. We just went back to back.

Comment

Why the Roosters have been played in the Latrell Mitchell saga

​​​​​​With each passing day that Latrell Mitchell wasn't at training this week — on full pay, while fishing and crabbing or breaking bread with Wayne Bennett — the Roosters felt like they were getting played.

It's why they could emerge as the final roadblock between Mitchell joining Souths after he agreed to terms on Thursday, with the view to him trotting out for training at Redfern on Monday morning

​​​​​​As revealed by the Herald, Mitchell is poised to sign the deal with the Rabbitohs on Friday, although the contract still needs to be registered and cleared by the NRL's salary cap auditor.

He also needs to be released by the Roosters, where he has a contract for 2020 worth $700,000.When Mitchell in November knocked back the Roosters' two-year extension worth $800,000-a-season, they were adamant they would release him to any club other than South Sydney.

Then, just before Christmas, as it became clear that Mitchell's two agents — officially Wayde Rushton, unofficially Matt Rose — couldn't get a deal done elsewhere, the Roosters softened. They were prepared to let him join Souths, just to bring the matter to a conclusion.

This week, that all changed for some reason.

They started making noises about wanting the $116,000 they have paid Mitchell for November and December to be returned.

They are also steaming about a News Corp report in which it was claimed Mitchell was prepared to take a pay cut because he wanted to “improve as a player and person” under Bennett.

The Roosters believe the story was leaked by the Mitchell camp and felt it was a slap in the face to coach Trent Robinson, who stood by Mitchell when he was dumped by NSW after Origin I and then during his admirable stance against on-line racist trolling.

The club also finds it hard to understand why he'd consider a pay cut two months after he rejected their offer of a pay rise — because it wasn't enough money.

As aggrieved as they might feel, it's hard to see the Roosters digging in, asking for their money. Surely, they want closure as much as Mitchell.

Either way, it's another final little twist in the messiest off-season contract negotiation in recent memory; one that surely screams to the RLPA about letting the NRL seriously explore the option of transfer windows.
                              The Roosters, Souths, Mitchell and Rose are simply playing by the rules they have been given — no rules — and the consequence has been an excruciating off-season of speculation, backroom deals and lots of poker being played with bad hands.

The delay in Souths signing Mitchell has been Jai Arrow, who has been their priority for this season following the off-season retirement of captain Sam Burgess because of his serious shoulder injury.

It created a chaotic scenario on Monday as phone calls frantically bounced between the Rabbitohs, Titans and Storm.

The Titans won't release Arrow unless they get a reasonable player in return — or Storm sensation Tino Fa'asuamaleaui a season early after signing him to massive deal, also from 2021.

Wanting to get Arrow done so they could move onto Mitchell, Souths offered up a player — which this column has decided not to name, because he doesn't know — but the Titans board rejected the offer.

Souths also offered the player to the Storm, on the condition they let Fa'asuamaleaui go a season early, meaning the Titans would let Arrow go earlier.

Melbourne also said no. Instead, they wanted the versatile Adam Doueihi. To which Souths said no. It's likely Doueihi would have said no, too.

What's complicating the impasse, bizarrely, is that Arrow is a stand-up person.

The Titans, who are under enormous pressure to perform this year under new coach Justin Holbrook, know his heart will be in it even if he's already signed to play elsewhere in 2021.

​​​​​​In the modern game, that's uncommon. Why would the Gold Coast let go of an Origin player without a serious player in return?

It's easy to point the finger of blame in all this but the truth is all parties are working inside the rules.

Something must change.

How can it be palatable when players are staying away from training but being paid by one club while negotiating with another? Or players who have already started pre-season training are being discretely shopped to other clubs without their knowledge? Or contracted players, like Mitchell, are being threatened with banishment to reserve grade if they don't hurry up and find another club?

Most of the NRL executive are on holidays at the moment, but we can only assume they are watching from their banana lounges with bemusement.

The NRL and clubs agreed last year to look at the possibility of transfer windows, but it has been met with resistance from RLPA chief executive Ian Prendergast, who believes they are not the “silver bullet” that will resolve the issue.

Indeed, secret meetings in coffee shops and media speculation will always be there, just as there is in any sport, but the current contract system makes the game look cheap and amateurish as clubs and players try to break contracts, sometimes two or three years before they are due to finish.

We won't bother mentioning the idea of the dreaded draft, but surely a transfer window in October a few weeks after the grand final and then another mid-season will clean up much of the mess.

At the very least, a system that means clubs aren't signing players more than a year out from the start of the season in which they are required to play would be better than the present one.

Meanwhile, let us all hold hands and sing Hallelujah — the Leonard Cohen version, of course — and rejoice in the fact the Latrell Mitchell saga. Looks. Like. It. Is. Finally. Over.​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy Smith View Post
                                The Storm didn't skip a beat when Inglis left. There's every reason to believe we will transition just as seamlessly.

There's no doubting his talent. I actually think he's more talented than GI. Though I don't for a second think he's close to the world's best as Teddy is miles ahead atm just as Slater was miles ahead of GI for 9/10ths of their respective careers.

The reason we can move on from his absence fairly seamlessly is because, despite his talent, I don't believe he was ever one of our 5 most important players.

Teddy, Keary, Cooper, JWH, Cordner, SST and Radley were all more important imo. Friend was too until Verrills hit the scene.

That's just the nature of centres. They can be lethal, and its great to have two Ferraris, but when balancing a roster that's always where you'll look to make the first cuts - way before the spine and your middle 3rd. One Ferrari in Manu and one young gun in Smith is enough and still better than anyone else.

So I'm over him leaving. I'm just not over him joining the scum, where he'll end up playing centre anyway because he doesn't have the engine or work ethic for fullback.

And I don't buy into the "Wayne will get the best out of him" BS. Roberts and Gagai were disinterested puss last year. And before that Milford went dramatically downhill under the Milfhunter. So I don't see Mr Father Figure as the alchemic cure to Latrine's lethargy.
                                I was left scratching my head when everyone was carrying on about Latrell leaving, however you sir have said it better then anyone else look at the Storm perfect example of making the correct business decision, add Folau to Inglis leaving and they didnt skip a beat I have been saying since I joined up that Smith has all the skills and he’s head is in it meaning he fits our culture (and a great name to boot) I have no doubt Wayne Bennett has destroyed careers just as well as he has created them, Robbo is the best man manager in the game Mitchell and Manu we’re nobodies Robbo built those Ferrari’s Manu has his screwed on understands his place in the team, also Latrell not being in top 5 roosters I also completely agree with, Tedesco is the new and soon to be improved Slater he’s just hitting his straps this is prime time now, however Keary is the tip of the F?!$@n Spear he’s the general the lynchpin call it what you like our season hangs on his health so he’s workload needs to be managed plenty of rest as he will be NSW half no doubt Lachy Lamb needs to get some game time and I don’t mind big Hutch he does his job.
                                Do NOT stress about this self absorbed drama queen Latrell our future is bright and he will soon realise what a monumental mistake he’s made leaving us he won’t see a GF so long as Easts are they’re to knock the stuffing out of the scum again.
                                RiseandriseagainEASTS!

Comment

Working...
                                X