No announcement yet.

Briefly Active No. 169

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As Louis mentioned about Larpa he was a brief first grade star in 67 playing limited 1st games in 68 and yes Louis he was relegated to captain 3rd grade for the remaining part of his career at Easts. Larpa was exciting to watch when his game was on but when he was off I often use to feel embarrassed for him.
    I recall a game against Manly on the SCG on a Anzac Day when he had one of his off days.
    Les Hayes ( a fantastic player and more a 5/8 and like Peard and Reilly was very much a Gibbo man ) he got to play on the wing with Gary Plater ( I may be wrong here) or Gary someone on the other. Cliff Boyd I think was on one wing when Bill Mullins played in his initial Ist grade season in 68. The club really moved forward after Gibson left. He coached St George in 70 and later coaxed Peard for the 72 season. In season 69 with Louie Neumann as captain coach we missed the semis however we did have Brass, Moscatt, Reilly, Mc Kean, Junee and Sadler.Hooker Moscatt was a fine player he had played in the UK as did prop Jim Hall.Louie was sacked as captain coach but played on when Don Furner became our 1970 coach. Artie arrived in 71 Coote in 72 after he nearly sat out the season at Souths due to no pay increase after he wore the green and gold. Great forwards we had in this time that included hard guys such as Ian Baker and Greg Bandiera.
    In 70 we had 5/8 John Ballesty from union and later Phil Hawthorne another 5/8 convert who came over from Saints. Peard went to Saints due to the Gibson factor so he missed our GF in 72. Thru this time Larpa was still playing 3rds.Fullback Mc Kean represented Australia in 1970 as did footballing genius Johnny Brass.
    With the return of Gibson in 74 also saw the return of Bunny Reilly ( a brief 1 season at the Sharks due to the Coote signing) Peard and half back Mayes - Junee went to Manly. Always would have loved to seen Junee win a comp with us as he was one of the Gibbo originals from the 67 team, he was selected for the 67 Kangaroo tour with team mate Ronny Saddler.
    Up Easts!

Comment

Yeah, I always felt a bit sorry for Junee....................Mayes had better luck with the timing of things.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks Fur Coat View Post

Wow I always thought Corey had big potential...didnt click to the Larpa connection. Thanks mate.
        I think he played 1st grade at 17yrs old.... started on the wing but could have played anywhere in the backline. So much talent... I think he only played one season then decided to move down south coast and play in eden.

his brother troy played for souffs.... really skillful ball playing lock , 5/8

Comment

Originally posted by player 1 View Post
          Fantastic stuff Louis, thanks for clarifying.

Yes, I'm glad Bill Mullins came along. I met him a couple of times, once when he was running the seafood store at Charring Cross (along with another ex rooster whose name you or another old timer like us will no doubt remember).

Wasn't it funny that after Mullins was in the 75 GF winning side, we had to wait 27 years for a repeat in 2002, and we simply wouldn't have won it without son Brett in the side - what a contribution he made to that entire finals campaign.

Just thought of the answer - John "Straw" Andrews was Bill's partner in the Charro fish shop.
          The Charro Fish Shop is a massive blast from the past.

Bruce Pickett ran the Video store at the Spot in the 80's.

Comment

Originally posted by Horrie Is God View Post

The Charro Fish Shop is a massive blast from the past.

Bruce Pickett ran the Video store at the Spot in the 80's.
            Yep, the Spot has changed a lot since then.

Comment

Billy Mullins fish shop at Charing Cross had stiff opposition/ competition from the other Charing Cross fish shop which was more of a institution run by the Chee Quee families.

Comment

Originally posted by bondi paul View Post
                As Louis mentioned about Larpa he was a brief first grade star in 67 playing limited 1st games in 68 and yes Louis he was relegated to captain 3rd grade for the remaining part of his career at Easts. Larpa was exciting to watch when his game was on but when he was off I often use to feel embarrassed for him.
                I recall a game against Manly on the SCG on a Anzac Day when he had one of his off days.
                Les Hayes ( a fantastic player and more a 5/8 and like Peard and Reilly was very much a Gibbo man ) he got to play on the wing with Gary Plater ( I may be wrong here) or Gary someone on the other. Cliff Boyd I think was on one wing when Bill Mullins played in his initial Ist grade season in 68. The club really moved forward after Gibson left. He coached St George in 70 and later coaxed Peard for the 72 season. In season 69 with Louie Neumann as captain coach we missed the semis however we did have Brass, Moscatt, Reilly, Mc Kean, Junee and Sadler.Hooker Moscatt was a fine player he had played in the UK as did prop Jim Hall.Louie was sacked as captain coach but played on when Don Furner became our 1970 coach. Artie arrived in 71 Coote in 72 after he nearly sat out the season at Souths due to no pay increase after he wore the green and gold. Great forwards we had in this time that included hard guys such as Ian Baker and Greg Bandiera.
                In 70 we had 5/8 John Ballesty from union and later Phil Hawthorne another 5/8 convert who came over from Saints. Peard went to Saints due to the Gibson factor so he missed our GF in 72. Thru this time Larpa was still playing 3rds.Fullback Mc Kean represented Australia in 1970 as did footballing genius Johnny Brass.
                With the return of Gibson in 74 also saw the return of Bunny Reilly ( a brief 1 season at the Sharks due to the Coote signing) Peard and half back Mayes - Junee went to Manly. Always would have loved to seen Junee win a comp with us as he was one of the Gibbo originals from the 67 team, he was selected for the 67 Kangaroo tour with team mate Ronny Saddler.
                Up Easts!
                Youve sewn it up - great post BondiPaul. Yes Mullins debut was 68. What a great winger he was. You were right about Gary Plater. I think he was a country recruit from memory. And I remember Les Hayes. Les was a tough utility player.Did a bit of boxing too and had a fruit stall near Central Station. Junee originally worked at Mick Simmons when they were down near Central too. We did have fine side on paper in 69 but poor Louis was saddled with too much pressure after Gibson. Who could follow that act? And it really wasn't until Jimmy Morgan came across from Souths that we started to get more authority in the forwards. I remember his first game against his old club at the SCG and it was on from the first scrum. Morgan didn't hold back against O'Neill and Sattler. Neumann was never one to back off and I saw him take out some pretty tough hombres in his time.

Comment

Originally posted by Louis N View Post

Youve sewn it up - great post BondiPaul. Yes Mullins debut was 68. What a great winger he was. You were right about Gary Plater. I think he was a country recruit from memory. And I remember Les Hayes. Les was a tough utility player.Did a bit of boxing too and had a fruit stall near Central Station. Junee originally worked at Mick Simmons when they were down near Central too. We did have fine side on paper in 69 but poor Louis was saddled with too much pressure after Gibson. Who could follow that act? And it really wasn't until Jimmy Morgan came across from Souths that we started to get more authority in the forwards. I remember his first game against his old club at the SCG and it was on from the first scrum. Morgan didn't hold back against O'Neill and Sattler. Neumann was never one to back off and I saw him take out some pretty tough hombres in his time.
                  Jimmy Morgan - I recall a game against Canterbury at SCG where berries thug Dennis Monte got his marching orders for stomping on Morgan's head while he was on the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Louis N View Post

Thanks Louis - happy new year to you. You mention Jimmy Morgan - he was an omission in my origal post about our rep players in 1970. I think he was man of the match in the 1st test against the poms in Brisbane. The same match when Cliff Watson smashed Jimmys nose via a head butt.The post match photo of him sitting on the dressing room floor should have won a award.

Comment

Yep, the Spot has changed a lot since then.
                      I used to be a paperboy for the newsagent.
                      Backed my first winner in The Spot Tab.
                      Had one of my first big nights out at Baxters.
                      The Choa Phraya was my favourite Thai restaurant.

The good old days.

Jimmy Morgan - I recall a game against Canterbury at SCG where berries thug Dennis Monte got his marching orders for stomping on Morgan's head while he was on the ground.
                      Jimmy owned the house next door to us in Chifley in 1979. His son Mark went to Marcellin with me.

Now i feel old.

Comment

Originally posted by Horrie Is God View Post

I used to be a paperboy for the newsagent.
                        Backed my first winner in The Spot Tab.
                        Had one of my first big nights out at Baxters.
                        The Choa Phraya was my favourite Thai restaurant.

The good old days.

Jimmy owned the house next door to us in Chifley in 1979. His son Mark went to Marcellin with me.

Now i feel old.
                        Ha ha, bro I went to Marcellin too. Class of 80.

Baxters, LOL.

Comment

Ha ha, bro I went to Marcellin too. Class of 80.

Baxters, LOL.
                          You would've been close to Michael Daley's year.

I did the hsc in 1988, Jeff Orford was in our A grade MCC team.

Comment

Working...
                          X