Briefly Active No. 169

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Briefly Active No. 169

As a long long time reader of the forum I would like to express my thanks to you all and particularly Chris.
    If I mention certain posters, I'm bound to forget some because I'm old!
    Special thanks to my all time favourite player Bruce 'Larpa' Stewart who started my passion when I arrived in Coogee many years ago
    Merry Christmas and HNY to you all

Cheers mate - all the best to you too.
    Making Steve Naughton look like Vince Mellars...

Comment

Welcome Larpa, hope you stick around for a while. Here is a couple of hints

1) Just ignore the Turds and Trolls.
      2) Anyone who accuses someone else of being Turk, is actually Turk themselves.
      3) Mickie and Rented Tracksuit are the same person.

Comment

I was a tad too young to remember Larpa Stewart as a player, but I heard a bit about him.
        Shame he didn't have better teams around him.

Comment

Originally posted by Larpa View Post
          As a long long time reader of the forum I would like to express my thanks to you all and particularly Chris.
          Special thanks to my all time favourite player Bruce 'Larpa' Stewart who started my passion when I arrived in Coogee many years ago
          Ta Larpa,

Happy Holidays to you to mate. Welcome to the forum. Hope we have another year like the last one heh...
          Originally posted by jism
          I saw Reynolds crying in front of me after the game and yelled out 'WHAT ARE YOU CRYING ABOUT?!?!? GO SAY SORRY TO COOPER YOU GRUB!!!' He looked up at me with a pretty broken looking face.

Comment

Welcome back....

Comment

Welcome Larpa, nice to hear from you.
              "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Yo Larpa, welcome and Merry Christmas.

Originally posted by boogie

"There's a lot of people competing for title of dumbest chookpen member such as Tommy S, Rusty, Johnny, ROC, Tobin but without a doubt you are the worst, youre thick as a brick christ this is the dumbest thing I've read in a long time you should go back to supporting the panthers"

Comment

Originally posted by Larpa View Post
                  I hope you put in a good one for Christmas and are enjoying the festive season. All the best for the New Year too.

I remember Larpa as an excitement machine on the wing when Jack Gibson first coached the Roosters. He played one wing with a union convert from the 'Dirty Reds' Drummoyne, Gary Stevens on the other. Larpa had a good step on him and was very evasive on his day. My most enduring memory of him was when Easts returned to the Match of the Day at the SCG for the first time in years (we'd been regular wooden spooners prior) against Canterbury Bankstown.

It was a wet day and they had a big pack led by former St George hard man, Kevin Ryan. Canterbury were clear favourites but never in the game. The Roosters upset them 18-2 and Larpa scored a great try coming into the backline off the blind side from a scrum. He cut straight through and went over untouched from about forty out scoring in front of the MA Noble stand under the posts. Kevin Junee had a blinder that day and was the other try-scorer.

Nice to see Larpa get a mention as he was a Roosters icon in the late sixties. I think we got him from the Rabbits as they had Cleary, James, Robertson and Sims and opportunity was limited for Bruce, but he found it at Easts. 1967 was the resurrection of our club and he played a part in that.

Comment

Originally posted by Louis N View Post
                    Nice to see Larpa get a mention as he was a Roosters icon in the late sixties. I think we got him from the Rabbits as they had Cleary, James, Robertson and Sims and opportunity was limited for Bruce, but he found it at Easts. 1967 was the resurrection of our club and he played a part in that.
                    I was wondering, Louie, why he only stuck around for two seasons?

Comment

Originally posted by top_joe View Post
                      Welcome Larpa, hope you stick around for a while. Here is a couple of hints

1) Just ignore the Turds and Trolls.
                      2) Anyone who accuses someone else of being Turk, is actually Turk themselves.
                      3) Mickie and Rented Tracksuit are the same person.
                      Haha.. if I was Mickey Lane, I would be bragging on about my smoking hot imaginary wife, my luxury Hyundai Toucson and my high paying $70k per year job as a drug affected male nurse.

Instead, I would like to welcome Larpa. Enjoy the show mate!
                      I love porcelain hand dryers.

Comment

Hi Louis N. You're a man with a wonderful memory. That was the exact day the Roosters grabbed me. I'd just arrived in Aus. Didn't realise it could rain so hard here!
                        Your man Louis Newmann was another favourite of mine.
                        I'm sure the kiddies are asleep after reading this so I'll sign off now before I get banned!

Comment

Some things are never forgotten Larpa. After a series of losing seasons and not winning a game for 576 days until we beat Norths earlier that year, the Canterbury SCG win was priceless. I think they were leading the comp, or up around the top. You picked the right day to start watching Easts.

Louis was my favourite player in the 67/68 side, with John Peard, Junee and Bunny Reilly close behind. But Neumann had real ball skills and was the toughest guy we had then. He'd come from Leeds after leaving South African rugby union. Great to know you're still watching today and please stay in touch on the forum.

Eddie, re Larpa only two years. He was a late bloomer and he did stay longer but was relegated to the lower grades. Easts had bought rugby unions star winger, Alan Cardy, for the 69 season along with John Brass. Cardy broke his leg and was never the same after. But Bill Mullins came through that year and was to become an Easts legend. From memory Larpa captained Easts thirds. Bondi Paul would know. Here's a useful link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auBmb9ZkhOY

Comment

Louis how the hell did you find that video? What a classic!

I have a memory, which may be wrong, of being at a preseason night trial with my dad and brother at Belmore oval against Berries, at which Cardy broke his leg before even playing a premiership game. He was supposed to be insanely fast, but we never saw it after the injury.

Comment

Originally posted by player 1 View Post
                              Louis how the hell did you find that video? What a classic!

I have a memory, which may be wrong, of being at a preseason night trial with my dad and brother at Belmore oval against Berries, at which Cardy broke his leg before even playing a premiership game. He was supposed to be insanely fast, but we never saw it after the injury.
                              I was at that game too. It was the opening of the then remodeled Belmore Oval, following the construction of a whole new grandstand. Yes, it was a pre-season night game and from memory the first of the year. I remember thinking how closer to the action the new design was. It was 1969 and Jack Gibson had left after being refused a pay rise, while the Roosters splashed out on two union internationals in John Brass from Randwick and Alan Cardy from Drummoyne.

They didn't let us down. The Roosters scored two tries that night and won the game. The first was a blistering run up the hill sideline by Cardy, from around half way. He really looked the goods. The second was a clever intercept from Brass, again from around thirty or forty out. Cardy didn't break his leg in that game, but it wasn't long after unfortunately. I think against Souths but still in the pre-season. It put him out for the entire season A real shame as he never regained his pace and strength, eventually retiring, after playing in 1970. His combination with the wily Brass would have been something. Luckily along came Bill Mullins, debuting that same year. And later Jim Porter.

I'd seen Cardy in Union and he was a gun player and at least we got a taste of what he might have done with that flashing try at Belmore.

The vid on Larpa I remember seeing a few years back and so I did a Google search to find it again. Good to see it was still around and brings back memories of an old Easts favourite.

Comment

Working...
                              X