Briefly Active No. 169

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Louis N View Post

I was at that game too. It was the opening of the then remodeled Belmore Oval, following the construction of a whole new grandstand. Yes, it was a pre-season night game and from memory the first of the year. I remember thinking how closer to the action the new design was. It was 1969 and Jack Gibson had left after being refused a pay rise, while the Roosters splashed out on two union internationals in John Brass from Randwick and Alan Cardy from Drummoyne.

They didn't let us down. The Roosters scored two tries that night and won the game. The first was a blistering run up the hill sideline by Cardy, from around half way. He really looked the goods. The second was a clever intercept from Brass, again from around thirty or forty out. Cardy didn't break his leg in that game, but it wasn't long after unfortunately. I think against Souths but still in the pre-season. It put him out for the entire season A real shame as he never regained his pace and strength, eventually retiring, after playing in 1970. His combination with the wily Brass would have been something. Luckily along came Bill Mullins, debuting that same year. And later Jim Porter.

I'd seen Cardy in Union and he was a gun player and at least we got a taste of what he might have done with that flashing try at Belmore.

The vid on Larpa I remember seeing a few years back and so I did a Google search to find it again. Good to see it was still around and brings back memories of an old Easts favourite.
    Well done again Louis. Appreciate the time you put into your post & the quality of them.
    "Originally posted by Elvis Rooster"
    So while most of us were getting excited about the start of the season our resident Junkie Jim the Jailbird, the guy who would like to break into your house and steal your tv and toaster, Mickey Lane is at it again. Here is his latest beauty.
    ​"Do you want white or wholemeal toast?"
    I tell you guys this is one sick son of a bitch;

Comment

Fantastic stuff Louis, thanks for clarifying.

Yes, I'm glad Bill Mullins came along. I met him a couple of times, once when he was running the seafood store at Charring Cross (along with another ex rooster whose name you or another old timer like us will no doubt remember).

Wasn't it funny that after Mullins was in the 75 GF winning side, we had to wait 27 years for a repeat in 2002, and we simply wouldn't have won it without son Brett in the side - what a contribution he made to that entire finals campaign.

Just thought of the answer - John "Straw" Andrews was Bill's partner in the Charro fish shop.
      Last edited by player 1; 01-04-2019, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mickie Lane View Post

Well done again Louis. Appreciate the time you put into your post & the quality of them.
        Thanks Mickie. Does my heart good to recall days of youth with fellow Roosters. Our club has such a rich history. My old man instilled it into me as a toddler and I used to play make believe games with red, white and blue marbles on the carpet. Once a Rooster always a Rooster - through thick and thin. Thank you all for the forum really affording us the chance to share. Plenty of good humour too.

Comment

Originally posted by player 1 View Post
          Louis how the hell did you find that video? What a classic!
          Everytime I see one of those old style news reports, no matter what the subject matter, it takes me back to childhood.

Thanks for the info Louis

Comment

Fantastic stuff Louis, thanks for clarifying.

Yes, I'm glad Bill Mullins came along. I met him a couple of times, once when he was running the seafood store at Charring Cross (along with another ex rooster whose name you or another old timer like us will no doubt remember).

Wasn't it funny that after Mullins was in the 75 GF winning side, we had to wait 27 years for a repeat in 2002, and we simply wouldn't have won it without son Brett in the side - what a contribution he made to that entire finals campaign.
            Didn’t Bill Mullins have a seafood shop on the Wynyard ramp also at some time ?

Comment

Plays and looks like John Ferguson.

Comment

From memory wasn't Brett forced out after the 2002 win because of the salary cap ! No doubt if he still played with us in 2003, Skinny Burn is not in first grade, there is no Scott Sattler folklore media suck up tackle, and we go back to back in 2003 !!

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkeye View Post
                  From memory wasn't Brett forced out after the 2002 win because of the salary cap ! No doubt if he still played with us in 2003, Skinny Burn is not in first grade, there is no Scott Sattler folklore media suck up tackle, and we go back to back in 2003 !!
                  There are some players who instinctively find the line. Son of Bill was one such player, as was Mayes and Ryan “Holy” Cross.
                  no doubt mullins would have beaten Sattler in similar circumstances
                  "This has been the case against the Roosters for decades" - TR, Roosters 2-11 Penalty Count V Manly 28/03/2014

Comment

Some things are never forgotten Larpa. After a series of losing seasons and not winning a game for 576 days until we beat Norths earlier that year, the Canterbury SCG win was priceless. I think they were leading the comp, or up around the top. You picked the right day to start watching Easts.

Louis was my favourite player in the 67/68 side, with John Peard, Junee and Bunny Reilly close behind. But Neumann had real ball skills and was the toughest guy we had then. He'd come from Leeds after leaving South African rugby union. Great to know you're still watching today and please stay in touch on the forum.

Eddie, re Larpa only two years. He was a late bloomer and he did stay longer but was relegated to the lower grades. Easts had bought rugby unions star winger, Alan Cardy, for the 69 season along with John Brass. Cardy broke his leg and was never the same after. But Bill Mullins came through that year and was to become an Easts legend. From memory Larpa captained Easts thirds. Bondi Paul would know. Here's a useful link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auBmb9ZkhOY
                    Fantastic video, Louis. I had the pleasure of meeting Uncle Bruce a couple of times - once in the Members' Stand at a Roosters v St George match (the one when Mini ran 100m to score) and once on a Tribal Warrior harbour cruise, a very successful Aboriginal enterprise that he played a big role in establishing.

Before I adopted my current ironic user name (there wasn't much spirit in 66) I used the Louis Neumann moniker myself on the old "Wall". I can't say I remember much about him as a player, but he must have had a good footy brain to Captain-Coach the team.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Stehr View Post
                      Plays and looks like John Ferguson.
                      Agree his style was very much like Chicka...who was the greatest winger Ive seen.

I]SBW at the beach .[/I]

Comment

Played a bit of footy for la perouse United... Lapa Stewart is a great bloke... his son's were unbelievably gifted footy players. His youngest Corey played a few games of first grade for the chooks in the late 80's early 90's... had so much natural ability

Comment

Originally posted by can'tkeepagoodcoqdown View Post
                          Played a bit of footy for la perouse United... Lapa Stewart is a great bloke... his son's were unbelievably gifted footy players. His youngest Corey played a few games of first grade for the chooks in the late 80's early 90's... had so much natural ability
                          Wow I always thought Corey had big potential...didnt click to the Larpa connection. Thanks mate.

I]SBW at the beach .[/I]

Comment

Originally posted by Spirit of 66 View Post

Fantastic video, Louis. I had the pleasure of meeting Uncle Bruce a couple of times - once in the Members' Stand at a Roosters v St George match (the one when Mini ran 100m to score) and once on a Tribal Warrior harbour cruise, a very successful Aboriginal enterprise that he played a big role in establishing.

Before I adopted my current ironic user name (there wasn't much spirit in 66) I used the Louis Neumann moniker myself on the old "Wall". I can't say I remember much about him as a player, but he must have had a good footy brain to Captain-Coach the team.
                            Yes '66 was a nightmare. I was still in high school, but a mad Easts fan in foreign territory. I was called out to the front of the class for not paying attention in the maths class. The teacher held up my exercise book with the drawing of an Easts player that I was working on. Instead of caning me, he sympathised for what he called misled loyalty. And said, 'well son they certainly can't go any worse than last year'. And then thought a bit and added, 'well they could lose EVERY game'. It got a big laugh around the room. He was right. The only time in history our club has reached that milestone. But it made '67 all that much sweeter.

If you used the Louis Neumann moniker you're on my wavelength. He was my favourite in '67 as he added some grunt as well as skills considering our lightweight pack back then was usually outweighed by the oppositions backline. I remember how we'd lose the scrums on a 3/1 basis each week and have to tackle our hearts out to win. We really didn't have any great forwards back then. Kevin Ashley was probably the standout and he was not much bigger than Kevin Junee. But he could kick field goals from half way and was a relentless tackler. Bunny Reilly was the other forward with potential.

You made some good contacts with Larpa. Closest I ever got was at training back in the day an the SCG No2. I would hang around with a mate kicking the balls back for Alan McKean and we were just fans collecting autographs etc. But the players were really accommodating and I remember talking to Johnny Mayes, Junee and most of the players. Gee that's a long way back now come to think of it. Mayes was running around in reserves but he was a standout there, displacing a former union international in Ken McMullen. And always good for a solo try from the scrum.
                            Last edited by Louis N; 01-05-2019, 01:55 AM.

Comment

Yes '66 was a nightmare. I was still in high school, but a mad Easts fan in foreign territory. I was called out to the front of the class for not paying attention in the maths class. The teacher held up my exercise book with the drawing of an Easts player that I was working on. Instead of caning me, he sympathised for what he called misled loyalty. And said, 'well son they certainly can't go any worse than last year'. And then thought a bit and added, 'well they could lose EVERY game'. It got a big laugh around the room. He was right. The only time in history our club has reached that milestone. But it made '67 all that much sweeter.

If you used the Louis Neumann moniker you're on my wavelength. He was my favourite in '67 as he added some grunt as well as skills considering our lightweight pack back then was usually outweighed by the oppositions backline. I remember how we'd lose the scrums on a 3/1 basis each week and have to tackle our hearts out to win. We really didn't have any great forwards back then. Kevin Ashley was probably the standout and he was not much bigger than Kevin Junee. But he could kick field goals from half way and was a relentless tackler. Bunny Reilly was the other forward with potential.

You made some good contacts with Larpa. Closest I ever got was at training back in the day an the SCG No2. I would hang around with a mate kicking the balls back for Alan McKean and we were just fans collecting autographs etc. But the players were really accommodating and I remember talking to Johnny Mayes, Junee and most of the players. Gee that's a long way back now come to think of it. Mayes was running around in reserves but he was a standout there, displacing a former union international in Ken McMullen. And always good for a solo try from the scrum.
                              I love reading your post Louis. Your like a Roosters elder that tells great stories to the younger & not so younger Roosters fans, its like Roosters dreamtime.
                              "Originally posted by Elvis Rooster"
                              So while most of us were getting excited about the start of the season our resident Junkie Jim the Jailbird, the guy who would like to break into your house and steal your tv and toaster, Mickey Lane is at it again. Here is his latest beauty.
                              ​"Do you want white or wholemeal toast?"
                              I tell you guys this is one sick son of a bitch;

Comment

Originally posted by Mickie Lane View Post
                                I love reading your post Louis. Your like a Roosters elder that tells great stories to the younger & not so younger Roosters fans, its like Roosters dreamtime.
                                Agree Mickie

Comment

Working...
                                X