would you choose Jennings or Lyon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kurtsherlock6 View Post
    Anyone who would prefer Lyons to Jennings has rocks in there head.

Yes while Lyon has been in great form the last couple of seasons, at 30 his best years are behind him.

Jennings is the future, Lyon is the past. I'd of thought people would of been over our club buying players that are past there best. If Lyon had of come here it would of been nothing more than a retirement fund for him.

Anyway its all a mute point now as Lyons is staying put.
    That's funny coming from a guy who staunchly defends a 33 year old who was past his best 5 years ago and is holding out some great young talent.

Anyway for once you are 100% right.

Comment

**** it were the chooks we should just buy them both. Big fat brown paper bags for everyone

Comment

Originally posted by fitzy View Post
        That's funny coming from a guy who staunchly defends a 33 year old who was past his best 5 years ago and is holding out some great young talent.

Anyway for once you are 100% right.
        Difference is Mini is a club legend who has played his whole career at this club & is highly respected by all within the club & the large majority of our supporters. He has also only signed a 1 contract & with salary cap exemptions would be costing us sweet FA. Lyons would probably of cost at least $450 - $500k a season over 2 or 3 years which would affect our abilty to recruit younger stars.

I've never thought Mini was anywhere near as bad as some on here made out, but thats just my opinion. As we have a very young squad i think his experience will be invaluable. I suppose only time will tell.
        Originally posted by turk-283
        Kurt 79 - Kags 0..

Comment

Difference is Mini is a club legend who has played his whole career at this club & is highly respected by all within the club & the large majority of our supporters. He has also only signed a 1 contract & with salary cap exemptions would be costing us sweet FA. Lyons would probably of cost at least $450 - $500k a season over 2 or 3 years which would affect our abilty to recruit younger stars.

I've never thought Mini was anywhere near as bad as some on here made out, but thats just my opinion. As we have a very young squad i think his experience will be invaluable. I suppose only time will tell.
          The value is right there a freebee whilst he is not in the top backs in the comp he is far from the worst. So why would u not want a club legend, experience and a freebee is beyond me.
          " A man can only walk as far as he can see"

Comment

Who's to say Jennings won't be a pisswrecked nightmare?

He has form.

Penrith didn't release him for nothing.

I'm hoping this won't be the case, obviously. I'm hoping he feels he has a point to prove. Also, I'm hoping the change of club will mean a fresh start.

But who knows?

Comment

Originally posted by Bansai Pipeline View Post

He has form.

I'm hoping this won't be the case, obviously. I'm hoping he feels he has a point to prove. Also, I'm hoping the change of club will mean a fresh start.

But who knows?
              Agree, there may be a little risk there, but its a risk worth taking IMO.

As you suggested, a fresh start is probably just what he needs.
              Originally posted by turk-283
              Kurt 79 - Kags 0..

Comment

Originally posted by Bansai Pipeline View Post

He has form.

But who knows?
                The riff released him due to his contract size and structure, next yr he was on 690k
                " A man can only walk as far as he can see"

Comment

Originally posted by SConcierge View Post
                  The riff released him due to his contract size and structure, next yr he was on 690k
                  worth every cent out there in the centres

Comment

If Mini is the only player in our squad who is entitled to the long service exemption it makes sense having him around.

The thing that annoys me and other fans are the silly comments we keep reading and hearing. A ball hasn't been kicked this year and he is already trotting out the usual rubbish about playing on for "a while yet".

IMO Mini isn't entitled to any special treatment, the club has already been very loyal to him. Also better players have come and gone and will in the future.

All I ask for is that our best 17 based on ability plays every week.

Comment

I'm more than happy we have Jennings.

Jamie Lyon is getting on. If the same question was raised 3-4 years ago, well it would certainly give me something more to think about.

Comment

I totally agree. mini serves his purpose. you cant have superstars in every position at the club. im happy to have mini there to save money and develop other key positions. he is worth it by far.

Comment

Jennings Vs Lyons

There's no doubt about it, on last years form, Lyons was the premium centre in the NRL by a country mile, and on that form , on a max two year contract, I would of taken him over Jennings. However given his age, as Mini has proved, you can stay too long, and given Jennings age, and hopefully still untapped potential, its a no brainer, Jennings first choice easily. NSW selectors must do everything they can to get Lyons to make himself available for State Of Origin this year, if we can get Jennings firing, and Lyons comes back for a last series, I believe NSW have a good chance of regaining the SOO crown. Those mongrel banana benders have been rubbing our noses in the shit for long enough, its time to kick some Qld arse.

Comment

Originally posted by davos:272522
                            Originally posted by milanja View Post
                            Would anyone want lyon for 4yrs over skd for 2?
                            I don't understand why it is that people under-rate SKD in such a way. I think he is better than most centres in the comp. SKD, JWH, RTS and Cordner are my favorite players in the team.

Best SKD moment or game was when he scored 4 tries in a game against the broncos in 2010. He single handedly won us that match even though we were ripped off hard in that game by the refs. The broncos were awarded a try at the death which was one of t

he worst decisions I have ever seen.
                            I love SKD. But he gets underrated because he has the infamous stat of having the most unforced errors after making a line break. He is also a bit of a turnstile in defense. I am not sure he knows he has shoulders. Lucky for him he is a freakish attacker.

Comment

Originally posted by kurtsherlock6:272585
                              Anyone who would prefer Lyons to Jennings has rocks in there head.

Yes while Lyon has been in great form the last couple of seasons, at 30 his best years are behind him.

Jennings is the future, Lyon is the past. I'd of thought people would of been over our club buying players that are past there best. If Lyon had of come here it would of been nothing more than a retirement fund for him.

Anyway its all a mute point now as Lyons is staying put.
                              I have rocks in my head. ET and Renouf were just as good at 34 as 24. Maybe even better. Lyon could be the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Worthless View Post
                                I have rocks in my head. ET and Renouf were just as good at 34 as 24. Maybe even better. Lyon could be the same.
                                what hes saying is that not all players are good at the age of 34. would you rather a 24 yo jennings with his best years ahead of him guaranteed, or a 30 yo lyon that could be rocks or diamonds?

Comment

Working...
                                X