Robinson appointed France's director of rugby league

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OMR View Post
    Does this increase ( or shorten) the odds of him eventually settling in France after winning 3- 5 more premierships with the roosters?
    He can do whatever he likes after winning another 3-5 more premierships.
    Born and bred in the eastern suburbs.

Comment

Just another distraction we don't need. I think he should concentrate ALL his efforts on the Roosters. We have had an overall successful period under Trent, but plenty of that has come down to the cattle he has had to work with, and the club itself, as it does with just about all coaches. I think he should be grateful for the opportunity he was given here, and pay that back with his TOTAL effort.

Comment

Robbo has earnt the right to coach a national team while also coaching the Chooks. If old Bennett can do it, so can Robbo.

Comment

Maybe he just wants to reverse the Nazi aligned Vichy ruling to outlaw rugby league back in 1940? A true Rooster, Chanticleer who bleeds red white and blue.
          ..it’ll be interesting to see

Comment

Originally posted by King Salvo View Post
            He speaks the lingo at least - Peut-il faire les deux rôles en même temps. Dur à dire?
            Une chose est sûre, il est capable de faire les deux.
            "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

French rugby league was a powerhouse until they sided with the pro-Nazi Vichy government in WW2.

It's been a long struggle back since then, I remember reading an article about it - forgot where unfortunately.

Comment

How the Nazis helped destroy French rugby league

It has been a long, long time since France defeated Australia in back-to-back Test matches in 1978 – longer still since they last appeared in a World Cup Final.

The history of our sport in France is easy to forget as we slip in and out of International rugby league consciousness.

French rugby league’s story has been told before but it must be continually refreshed for here is a game that has been repressed by a bitter ugly sister we like to call rugby union and an unholy alliance with the German Nazi Party back in the 1940’s.

You see, rugby league was thriving in the 1930’s and the preferred “rugby” code and as its popularity grew – fans flocked to see the free-flowing, fast-paced action of this new version of the game. Rugby union was on its knees. By 1939, league boasted over 200 amateur clubs and became the first French outfit in any sport to defeat England on English soil.

Then, World War II erupted and changed everything.

In May 1940, Germany invaded France and in doing so, instilled the Vichy regime who had strong ties to the rugby union administration.

Rugby league was as good as dead.

Under Nazi order, the French rugby league immediately lost their stadiums, players and financial backing and labelled “corrupters” of the youth.

“The fate of rugby league is clear,” Sports Minister Jean Ybarnégaray decreed at the time.

“Its life is over and it will be quite simply deleted from French sport.”

League wasn’t even allowed to call itself a version of ‘rugby’ until 1989.

A government enquiry in 2002 said: “The action against rugby league was the result of steps taken by the French rugby union federation which saw an opportunity to get rid of a dangerous rival.”

French rugby league fought valiantly for decades after World War II – sweeping Australia on their Kangaroo Tour of 1978 and making World Cup Finals in 1954 and 1968 but they would never ever be the same.

There is no doubt that league could still be the dominant rugby code in France today if it wasn’t for the Vichy regime and those Nazi Germans.

Unfortunately, we will never know how strong they could have been.

Rugby league’s horrendous treatment and attempted eradication is still felt today in France.

It will never be the same.

Comment

If Robbo decides to go and we all hope he doesn't then good luck to him he has earned the right . But waiting in the wings is our man Fitzy ,for me he is the next Roosters coach

Comment

i didn't know that about vichy france complicating things for league in france. but it can't be just that - france used to be competitive internationally in a way they haven't been for a while

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster1908 View Post
                      If Robbo decides to go and we all hope he doesn't then good luck to him he has earned the right . But waiting in the wings is our man Fitzy ,for me he is the next Roosters coach
                      Its going to be an almost impossible act to follow, whoever gets the gig.

Comment

So very true Jack , as Roosters fans we live in glorious times at the moment but as we oldies remember it hasn't always be this way

Comment

In a thread titled” why I support the roosters” I stated that after arriving on these shores in ‘75 and had never seen a rugby league game , I watched my first ever game Easts Vs Souths Amco Cup , and when I saw the RWB which is the same as the National French colours, and coming from Lebanon a country with a strong French influence , I started my love journey with the Roosters. I’m forever grateful to the French for enticing me to the Roosters.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLoneRooster View Post

Une chose est sûre, il est capable de faire les deux.

Tant que cela n'implique pas une sorte de voyage ou de politique pour laquelle le sport français est célèbre, il devrait être capable de faire les deux.

Comment

Hopefully this is the beginning of getting France up to a Tier 1 level in International footy. I would love to see France develop into a competitive International team with quality French players playing in the NRL.

Comment

Originally posted by OMR View Post
                                If he wins us 5 more premierships then I’d be less heartbroken if he leaves.
                                I hope he picks his time and has a succession plan rather than stringing it out. To me a common flaw with many great leaders in the game is that they stay too long and then have no succession plan.

Comment

Working...
                                X