Robinson appointed France's director of rugby league

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robinson appointed France's director of rugby league

Sydney Roosters coach Trent Robinson has been appointed France's director of rugby league as the nation prepares for its assault on the 2021 World Cup.

Robinson, who used to coach French team Catalans Dragons before taking over at the Roosters, will join forces with Laurent Frayssinous who has been named France's head coach.

Frayssinous succeeded Robinson at the Dragons in 2013 and he will take over from Aurelien Cologni, who has been sacked after five years as coach.

Robinson, 43, will combine the role for France with his job as an NRL coach.

The shake-up follows the election of new president Luc Lacoste, who admits the appointments represent a bold move.

"Certain mistakes from the past have required us to make some hard choices," Lacoste said on Monday.

"We want them to be daring and nevertheless realistic."

He said the French team will now move into a "decisive period".

"With the sole objective to bring honour to our colours during the next World Cup in England."

Lacoste is especially delighted with the commitment shown by Robinson, a fluent French speaker who is married to a French woman.

Robinson played for and coached Toulouse before moving to Perpignan to coach the Dragons.

"His experience at a very high level should allow the French team to grow quickly and soon find themselves in the top five of the world elite," Lacoste said.

"His involvement is a credit to the French team and its ambitions."

The 2021 Rugby League World Cup will be held in England between 16 teams, including Australia.

Does this increase ( or shorten) the odds of him eventually settling in France after winning 3- 5 more premierships with the roosters?

Comment

Originally posted by OMR View Post
      Does this increase ( or shorten) the odds of him eventually settling in France after winning 3- 5 more premierships with the roosters?
      Robbo is irreplaceable, I hope your wrong.

Comment

If he wins us 5 more premierships then I’d be less heartbroken if he leaves.

Comment

I would be happy with 2 more, but if you are promising 3-5 I will take it.

Comment

I think this just says he is passionate about developing Rugby League in France - he has a personal connection there having played, coached and his wife is french.

Regardless, because of this connection and interest he has in helping French RL, there will always be a big chance at some point in his career he may like to spend some years there again.

He is a young coach with a young family here in Aus which suits us, sadly the run will have to end one day where he may want to spend the twilight of his career in the south of France - but hopefully that shouldn't be for a long while

Comment

I'm a greedy bugger .never satisfied until we far outnumber the vermin Talley. Although in reality there tally is one

Comment

Originally posted by NorthChook View Post
                I think this just says he is passionate about developing Rugby League in France - he has a personal connection there having played, coached and his wife is french.

Regardless, because of this connection and interest he has in helping French RL, there will always be a big chance at some point in his career he may like to spend some years there again.

He is a young coach with a young family here in Aus which suits us, sadly the run will have to end one day where he may want to spend the twilight of his career in the south of France - but hopefully that shouldn't be for a long while
                yep. only right robbo tests himself in rep footy. not sure he'll have the team to do anything

Comment

Be interesting to see what happens with Fitzy as this is his last year- If he extends then you can assume he will take over the head coach role in the not too distant future as i have heard that Robbo's Wufe is keen to return to France - Depends if Fitzy is offered an NRL head coach role as he has turned down a few over the past year or so.

Last edited by King Salvo; 02-23-2021, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by zac View Post

yep. only right robbo tests himself in rep footy. not sure he'll have the team to do anything
                    Too true - no doubt though that French Rugby League has been a mess for year from what it once was (or could have been) and that his presence should at least improve their growth.

Does this mean that he will bring more Remi Casty's to our club as he scope's out their 'talent' to help them develop?

Comment

Originally posted by NorthChook View Post

Too true - no doubt though that French Rugby League has been a mess for year from what it once was (or could have been) and that his presence should at least improve their growth.

Does this mean that he will bring more Remi Casty's to our club as he scope's out their 'talent' to help them develop?
                      lol, remi wasn't one of robbo's better recruitments

Comment

Originally posted by zac View Post

lol, remi wasn't one of robbo's better recruitments
                        Casty went alright though - be a few French Rugger players he could bring over perhaps as it's the second footy card after Football.

Comment

I'm not sure I like this much at all...and I definitely wasn't consulted.

Comment

He speaks the lingo at least - Peut-il faire les deux rôles en même temps. Dur à dire?

Comment

Great appointment for French rugby league i predict he will coach France at some point and hopefully they will be a competitive side again.

Comment

Working...
                              X