No announcement yet.

Meeting Players current and ex and other celebrities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was front row at a Pearl Jam concert about 20 years ago. Near the end of the concert I threw a towel I’d bought from merchandising straight at Eddie Vedder and it landed right on top of his head. The whole stadium laughed out loud and he walked off stage with it.

When he came back for the encore, I screamed at him ‘Eddie can I have my towel back?’.

He looked down at me, off his head, and handed his guitar pic and Tamborine to my wife and I.

Suffice to say I was happy with the exchange.
    Exonerate the West Memphis Three - www.wm3.org

Comment

Lived in Darlinghurst for a few years and used to shop at a lovely deli which a nice old couple ran, the couple sold the business and Ian Roberts had taken it over, we used to chat about football when i went in, such a nice guy, years later after he sold the business i was up in Brisbane at a function and he was a guest there and he made sure he came over and talked to me and my friends i was with. Haven't seen him around for a long while but ran into him at Target Broadway the Christmas before last and he came up to me and started chatting again, an absolute gentleman.

Comment

Originally posted by Mickie Lane View Post
        Im not big noting but I'll tell you a story about myself & Jack Gibson.

Jack had a son who was older than me who had schizophrenia but also used heroin & he overdosed & died I think in 1990. Anyway I was in a drug rehab called Odyssey House in 1992 & a fellow resident came & told me that I had a phone call so Ive made my way to the phone & said hello, from the other end of the phone line I heard this voice who said is that you Floyd this is Jack Gibson, he said to me that my parents had contacted him about their son who was on heroin & was now in rehab, I nearly dropped the phone I couldnt believe it that Jack Gibson was on the phone talking to me. He said that he wanted to meet me with my parents & invited me to Henson Park where the Chooks trained. So 2 days later on the Thursday my parents myself & one of my peers from Odyssey House drove from Eaglevale to Henson & met up with Jack & the Roosters team. He explained to me about how devastating it was to lose his son to heroin & said to me you dont want to do that to your parents, I remember looking at my mum & dad who were crying & then hearing Jack say find it within yourself to get off that shit otherwise you will bring alot of saddness to your lovely family.
        It wasnt the catalyst to why I stopped taking heroin but it was a moment in my life that I realised how much you hurt your parents running around destroying yourself.
        That’s brilliant Mickie. Fantastic story and well done to you!

Comment

In another life as a high school teacher I had care and control of a sizeable cohort of the Bra Boyz at Maroubra Bay High (Ian Roberts had been there a few years earlier as had Jeff Orford a handy East Winger and Toddy McNamara who used to lead the Chook Pen in raucous frenetic style in the 90s).
          It was in the days before the tatts but the brotherhood was emerging and prominent on campus though they were nowhere near being the worst kids in the school. Sonny Abberton was Sonny by name and sunny by nature and his Bra Boys doco remains the highest grossing doco in Oz film history. I always remember the cheery "You don't wanna do this sir, I'm a good guy" when he was sent to me for the stick. Never worked of course but I've sometimes wondered if the canings that I gave him/them set them on the path to violence. I do recall that he had a Year 11 girlfriend when in Year 9.
          MBH was the first school in which I saw a full on fight in a classroom, a brawl really and although it was Jai Abberton's class, he was not involved. The main perpetrator was Ronnie Reardon who went on to be Fly Weight Oz champ. Ronnie knew no fear. I see his 2 boys got off a murder charge recently - some homeless guy upset someone.

Comment

Originally posted by Thirteen View Post
            In 94 in Las Vegas I got a high five from Shaquele O’Neil.
            Would’ve been a low five for Shaq
            ..it’ll be interesting to see

Comment

I met Tim Shaw in 2019 (at a classical music by the lake event in Queanbeyan... he was the MC and while the music was playing & we were sipping wines he did some crowd walks).

Decent character. However, he seemed really pissed off when I mentioned Demtel (indirectly). I get it that he's moved on but let's be frank, that's what he's known for. He was polite, agreed to a photo and everything but eeerm... politely shrugged me off when I told him that I loved his work on TV in the 90's.

Comment

Jack had a son who was older than me who had schizophrenia but also used heroin & he overdosed & died I think in 1990. Anyway I was in a drug rehab called Odyssey House in 1992 & a fellow resident came & told me that I had a phone call so Ive made my way to the phone & said hello, from the other end of the phone line I heard this voice who said is that you Floyd this is Jack Gibson, he said to me that my parents had contacted him about their son who was on heroin & was now in rehab, I nearly dropped the phone I couldnt believe it that Jack Gibson was on the phone talking to me. He said that he wanted to meet me with my parents & invited me to Henson Park where the Chooks trained. So 2 days later on the Thursday my parents myself & one of my peers from Odyssey House drove from Eaglevale to Henson & met up with Jack & the Roosters team. He explained to me about how devastating it was to lose his son to heroin & said to me you dont want to do that to your parents, I remember looking at my mum & dad who were crying & then hearing Jack say find it within yourself to get off that shit otherwise you will bring alot of saddness to your lovely family.
                It wasnt the catalyst to why I stopped taking heroin but it was a moment in my life that I realised how much you hurt your parents running around destroying yourself.
                that is beautiful
                barbarian ......arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Roosterfarian View Post
                  I was front row at a Pearl Jam concert about 20 years ago. Near the end of the concert I threw a towel I’d bought from merchandising straight at Eddie Vedder and it landed right on top of his head. The whole stadium laughed out loud and he walked off stage with it.

When he came back for the encore, I screamed at him ‘Eddie can I have my towel back?’.

He looked down at me, off his head, and handed his guitar pic and Tamborine to my wife and I.

Suffice to say I was happy with the exchange.

vedder strikes me as surprisingly decent
                  barbarian ......arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!!!!!!!

Comment

Great story Mate.

Comment

Originally posted by The Skeez View Post
                      Would’ve been a low five for Shaq
                      Yes Mate it was. I’m 6”2’ but I still had to reach up pretty high. Still the biggest human I’ve ever seen. Maybe not the tallest human but just the biggest all round person.

Comment

I can't top Daryl Sommers but..
                        I've interviewed Carlos Santana, Will I Am.
                        Mark Boznich, Adam Garcia & Wendell Sailor are acquaintances through work and scene.
                        Have worked closely with Johnny Depp & Chris Hemsworth in those movies.
                        And met many more because I used to work in the entertainment and nightclub industry.

Comment

Originally posted by ROC181 View Post
                          I can't top Daryl Sommers but..
                          I've interviewed Carlos Santana, Will I Am.
                          Mark Boznich, Adam Garcia & Wendell Sailor are acquaintances through work and scene.
                          Have worked closely with Johnny Depp & Chris Hemsworth in those movies.
                          And met many more because I used to work in the entertainment and nightclub industry.
                          Did you give them all your autograph?

Comment

Did you give them all your autograph?
                            My agents number... I think it may have been the wrong one cause they haven’t called yet.

Comment

Originally posted by ism22 View Post
                              I met Tim Shaw in 2019 (at a classical music by the lake event in Queanbeyan... he was the MC and while the music was playing & we were sipping wines he did some crowd walks).

Decent character. However, he seemed really pissed off when I mentioned Demtel (indirectly). I get it that he's moved on but let's be frank, that's what he's known for. He was polite, agreed to a photo and everything but eeerm... politely shrugged me off when I told him that I loved his work on TV in the 90's.
                              He works very closely with the McGrath group down here now.
                              “You couldn’t ask for more!”
                              FVCK CANCER

Comment

Originally posted by rented tracksuit View Post
                                He works very closely with the McGrath group down here now.
                                “You couldn’t ask for more!”
                                No it was "But Wait, there's more " oh and the free set of steak knives if you called and placed an order in the specified time period. I know people who ordered via this Demtel company on TV within the time period - mmm the free steak knives had run out.

Don't know what was more annoying those info adds or the call me adds after 12 am .
                                Last edited by King Salvo; 02-20-2021, 11:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X