Meeting Players current and ex and other celebrities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meeting Players current and ex and other celebrities

Has anyone met any of the above and were surprised or disappointed when your met them and what were the circumstances etc.

I had a poor experience with the real John Tobin as i have mentioned before short changing me and denying it at his newsagency after i got him to sign his Scanlon Footy card- I always wonder if i had reported it to the police he may never had embarked on a life of crime - sure the cops would say oh yes we will give it top priority sunny after we deal with a few minor matters such as murders/rapes/burglaries/assaults/drug dealers etc.

Not quite sure if he would like to be called a celebrity but i remember being in London meeting up with relo's- They invited me to go some art exhibition maybe for charity or something so attended this with some of the cousins who fancied themselves as artists having attended art school.

Anyway one of the artist or painters in attendance was Paul Simonon ( Clash Bassist ) - my cousins have the gift of the gab so we went over to talk to him - I thought it's always a bit of an issue doing this as they may not want to be bothered - completely the opposite a really nice bloke.

When my cousins said this is our Aussie cousin he remembered the i think magnificant seven tour and asked if i went - nervously i replied ahhhh yes i did it was great- anyway he then says if you hang on a sec i'll bring Mick Jones(Clash Guitarist and Song writer with Joe Strummer ) over as he's here as well - Nice bloke as well - I was wearing my Clash T-Shirt so that may have helped.

The above was in the late 80's

https://www.pinterest.com.au/huntdeb...uls-paintings/

Last edited by King Salvo; 02-20-2021, 03:09 PM.

I danced on stage with Daryl Somers at the Macquarie Centre in the early 80's.
    FVCK CANCER

Comment

Originally posted by rented tracksuit View Post
      I danced on stage with Daryl Somers at the Macquarie Centre in the early 80's.
      Ozzie and Dickie sat that one out I assume ?

Comment

Im not big noting but I'll tell you a story about myself & Jack Gibson.

Jack had a son who was older than me who had schizophrenia but also used heroin & he overdosed & died I think in 1990. Anyway I was in a drug rehab called Odyssey House in 1992 & a fellow resident came & told me that I had a phone call so Ive made my way to the phone & said hello, from the other end of the phone line I heard this voice who said is that you Floyd this is Jack Gibson, he said to me that my parents had contacted him about their son who was on heroin & was now in rehab, I nearly dropped the phone I couldnt believe it that Jack Gibson was on the phone talking to me. He said that he wanted to meet me with my parents & invited me to Henson Park where the Chooks trained. So 2 days later on the Thursday my parents myself & one of my peers from Odyssey House drove from Eaglevale to Henson & met up with Jack & the Roosters team. He explained to me about how devastating it was to lose his son to heroin & said to me you dont want to do that to your parents, I remember looking at my mum & dad who were crying & then hearing Jack say find it within yourself to get off that shit otherwise you will bring alot of saddness to your lovely family.
        It wasnt the catalyst to why I stopped taking heroin but it was a moment in my life that I realised how much you hurt your parents running around destroying yourself.

Comment

I called Steve Smith a cheat and a wanker to his face because he refused a photo with my kids (who had just finished playing cricket and were in their cricket gear) at Waverley Oval while sitting on the sidelines watching a game.

In 94 in Las Vegas I got a high five from Shaquele O’Neil.

Comment

Originally posted by King Salvo View Post

Ozzie and Dickie sat that one out I assume ?
            Luckily for the kids in attendance, yes!
            FVCK CANCER

Comment

Originally posted by Mickie Lane View Post

Jack had a son who was older than me who had schizophrenia but also used heroin & he overdosed & died I think in 1990. Anyway I was in a drug rehab called Odyssey House in 1992 & a fellow resident came & told me that I had a phone call so Ive made my way to the phone & said hello, from the other end of the phone line I heard this voice who said is that you Floyd this is Jack Gibson, he said to me that my parents had contacted him about their son who was on heroin & was now in rehab, I nearly dropped the phone I couldnt believe it that Jack Gibson was on the phone talking to me. He said that he wanted to meet me with my parents & invited me to Henson Park where the Chooks trained. So 2 days later on the Thursday my parents myself & one of my peers from Odyssey House drove from Eaglevale to Henson & met up with Jack & the Roosters team. He explained to me about how devastating it was to lose his son to heroin & said to me you dont want to do that to your parents, I remember looking at my mum & dad who were crying & then hearing Jack say find it within yourself to get off that shit otherwise you will bring alot of saddness to your lovely family.
              It wasnt the catalyst to why I stopped taking heroin but it was a moment in my life that I realised how much you hurt your parents running around destroying yourself.
              Good on ya bud. Glad it stuck with you.
              FVCK CANCER

Comment

Thanks for telling that story. Respect.

Comment

Mate that' takes courage sharing that and even more courage getting of that crap. Well done

Comment

Your legendary status just gets bigger on here mickie.
                    Onya rooster.

Comment

Amazing story Mick...thanks for sharing with us.

Comment

Originally posted by Thirteen View Post
                        I called Steve Smith a cheat and a wanker to his face because he refused a photo with my kids (who had just finished playing cricket and were in their cricket gear) at Waverley Oval while sitting on the sidelines watching a game.

In 94 in Las Vegas I got a high five from Shaquele O’Neil.
                        haha, good work 13, that nice guy act seemed a bit too fake, once a cheater, always a cheater.
                        should never captain Australia again.

Comment

Originally posted by milanja View Post

haha, good work 13, that nice guy act seemed a bit too fake, once a cheater, always a cheater.
                          should never captain Australia again.
                          If he's the best choice for the job, I couldn't care less what he's done. Almost every player at that level does something to try and gain the upper hand. The poor bastard is simply guilty of being too dumb not to get caught!
                          Last edited by rented tracksuit; 02-20-2021, 04:23 PM.
                          FVCK CANCER

Comment

Originally posted by rented tracksuit View Post

If he's the best choice for the job, I couldn't care less what he's done. Almost every player at that level does something to try and gain the upper hand. The poor bastard is simply guilty of being too dumb not to get caught!
                            His mistake was telling lies, if he had of just copped he would have got the same punishment the South African captain got. 2 games.

Comment

His mistake was telling lies, if he had of just copped he would have got the same punishment the South African captain got. 2 games.
                              Exactly right. He was dumb to lie and get caught out.
                              FVCK CANCER

Comment

Working...
                              X