No announcement yet.

Boyd Cordner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If he sits out 2021 then he may as well retire- I suppose they analyse his concussions to see if things in his game can be changed to lesson the risk which may or may not help. He defends on the left so no use moving him to the right where more defence is needed since the majority of tries are scored by teams left side attack.

Does his running style increase the risk of concussions - some are saying he leads with his head- i have to watch some video to see if this is correct -maybe trying to get quicker play the balls by landing on his stomach which means he is leading with his head in some way and this increases the risk of concussion?.

Comment

Originally posted by Bansai Pipeline View Post
      Three premierships, two Origin series, whatever else for the Roos. Bald at 28. What else does he have to prove?

What's the need to play on into your 30s anyway?
      Really?!

Maybe cause he is enjoys it and gets paid pretty well to do it.

Comment

With all this pressure on him to retire, has any one thought of how his mental state will be affected? I’ve heard many ex players who went into depression upon retiring as they didn’t know what to do without football. We need to tread carefully and let Boyd assess his situation and come up with what he and his family think is the best long term outcome.
        Some will say he can become involved with the roosters coaching, but how many ex players can you fit? I wish the best for Boyd and no matter what he decides, I’m sure we will all support and continue to love and adore him for the warrior he is/was.

Comment

From the telegraph:

Boyd Cordner’s latest concussion could potentially save the Sydney Roosters as much as $400,000 off their salary cap next season.

But amid growing concern that Cordner could miss the entire 2021 NRL season as he recovers from a series of worrying head knocks, his manager was adamant no decision had been made on the star’s future at this point.

“I don’t think any decisions like that would be made in the short term,” David Riolo said on Monday.
          “That would be really foolish.”

It comes after Blues captain Cordner ruled himself out of the rest of this year’s State of Origin series following his setback in last week’s opening clash in Adelaide.

While Cordner’s health is the top priority for everyone involved, it would still be an enormous blow to the Roosters from a salary cap perspective if the back-rower was to sit out an entire season.
          Even though Cordner’s latest head injury occurred while he was on NSW duties, under the NRL’s policy relating to injuries sustained in rep matches the Roosters could apply for salary cap relief, but that figure would be capped at $350,000.

It doesn’t matter that Cordner is reportedly on a $750,000-a-season contract.

The policy was introduced after Canberra’s Josh Hodgson injured his knee while playing for England at the 2017 World Cup.

As has been the case with other injured players since, Cordner would have to sit out a minimum of 12 rounds for the Roosters to get that full entitlement.
          But regardless of how long Cordner stays sidelined, the salary cap relief would stay fixed at $350,000 for the duration of 2021.

Cordner has three years remaining on his multimillion-dollar contract.

The only way Cordner’s full salary would be excluded from the Roosters’ cap would be if Cordner sought a medical retirement.
          Understandably, there is huge concern across the game for Cordner’s short and long term welfare.

“I think everyone just needs to take a breath and not speculate and not try and force him (to make a decision),” Riolo added.

“There is no hurry to make any decisions on anything right at this second.

“What Boyd needs is a bit of space.

“Obviously he will be guided in the future by the best medical advice there is.

“Anyone agitating and pushing for long term decisions in the short term are kidding themselves.

“I think everyone just needs to leave him along and drop off to be honest.”

Riolo said Cordner was doing “alright” since leaving NSW camp on Friday.

“He just has to take a bit of stock and what will be will be,” Riolo said.

“But you don’t make those decisions on a whim.”

It comes in the wake of Roosters chairman Nick Politis opening up to The Saturday Telegraph about his personal concern for Cordner’s ongoing welfare.

Politis initially revealed that the tough NSW captain may need to take a complete break from rugby league for “longer than a month or two”.
          The NRL is also investigating the decision to allow Cordner to return to the field after he passed his HIA test in Adelaide.

There has been a huge debate about whether Cordner should have been sent back out despite him passing his HIA.

Politis wouldn’t buy into the medical debate.

But he spoke from the heart about the conversation he had with Cordner last week.

“I rang him and said, ‘just be careful’,” Politis said of his phone call last Thursday.

“I said ‘take care, we love you’.”

Asked if he was concerned about the Australian, NSW and Roosters captain’s ongoing health, Politis was up front: “Well, we are.

“That is why when Robbo gets back (from a family holiday) we will see what happens.

“He might have to take a bit of a break, longer than a month or two. I don’t know.”

Comment

Originally posted by Thirteen View Post

Really?!

Maybe cause he is enjoys it and gets paid pretty well to do it.
            Reckon he's enjoying himself? Doesn't look like it.

Comment

Just on the topic of Boyd's HIA issues, as a comparison Sydney Crosby sat out about a year of his NHL career in 2011 due to concussion concerns. He returned and hasn't missed many games in the 8 or so years since.

So there is precedent for Boyd to sit out a year. Frankly the decision to play in this year's Origin was absurd and he should already be in the midst of a 6-9 month break from footy.

Comment

Originally posted by OMR View Post
                With all this pressure on him to retire, has any one thought of how his mental state will be affected? I’ve heard many ex players who went into depression upon retiring as they didn’t know what to do without football. We need to tread carefully and let Boyd assess his situation and come up with what he and his family think is the best long term outcome.
                Some will say he can become involved with the roosters coaching, but how many ex players can you fit? I wish the best for Boyd and no matter what he decides, I’m sure we will all support and continue to love and adore him for the warrior he is/was.
                I think it applies to everyone - not just foot players.
                I know I have just started semi retirement - working 5 days a fortnight with a plan to retire at the end of 2021.
                I don't know what I'm going to do either - it's a common problem
                There's a reason why the young and idealistic become the old and cynical.
                It's called experience.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyHarry View Post

I know I have just started semi retirement - working 5 days a fortnight with a plan to retire at the end of 2021.
                  Cocaine & hookers ??

Comment

Maybe put in 20 hours a day on here?

Comment

Originally posted by Bansai Pipeline View Post

Maybe put in 20 hours a day on here?
                      Now that would make me depressed
                      There's a reason why the young and idealistic become the old and cynical.
                      It's called experience.

Comment

you must have some interests and travel plans when travel is okay to do again that is - i'm sure Big Ed Mustapha has other Bobby Maxwell/People's revolutionary strike folk you can take care of though with your 44 Magnum in your retirement.
                        Last edited by King Salvo; 11-09-2020, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Is Pangai Jnr an option, once more ?

Comment

Originally posted by monaco's fan club View Post
                            is pangai jnr an option, once more ?
                            nooooo

Comment

Originally posted by Monaco's Fan Club View Post
                              Is Pangai Jnr an option, once more ?
                              Fk no.

Bloke is possibly the dumbest footballer/person in the competition.

Comment

Originally posted by Steakface View Post

Fk no.

Bloke is possibly the dumbest footballer/person in the competition.
                                Dumber than Matt Lodge? Big statement when you are talking about the NRL lol

Comment

Working...
                                X