No announcement yet.

Boyd Cordner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We can all sit back, watch and say Boyd needs to hang it up, retire from rep footy or take an extended break to rest and recover etc but one thing is for sure... Trent Robinson and the Roosters as a club would never risk or jeopardise a player’s health and welfare over some personal playing desire or competition success. I am sure that the club would, if they haven’t already spoken with Boyd and his manager (if required) to discuss his health issues. If they were to consider medically retiring him or advise him to seek further medical assessments, then they would, and it is a fine line between business vs personal well-being. The club, the NRL and this great state (NSW) have access to some of the best, world class medical facilities and services so I’m sure the club would be doing everything in its power and ability to assist and take care of Boyd. In regards to State of Origin, Freddy (being so close to the Roosters and Boyd) would also not run the gauntlet, and if it is suggested that he sit the next match or the entire series out (pending an investigation into the HIA call or not) then they will make a call for his best interest and obviously the game plan/strategy of the NSW team.

Let’s just hope that Boyd is ok whether he plays or not but also have confidence in the Roosters to handle Boyd.
    Last edited by DP1990; 11-09-2020, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Headless Chook View Post
      It's his body and it's his call. Why would he not want to play if he feels fine and the doctors have given him the all clear?? There seems to be a lot of 'neurosurgeons' out there prepared to make a call on Boyd's career without even consulting him at the moment
      Yep. Its Boyds decision until that decision is taken from him.
      FVCK CANCER

Comment

I’ll leave the worrying about Boyd’s future health to him and his loved ones. From a supporters point of view, his salary is taking up a significant amount of salary cap and we won’t get much value out of him if he continues to play. I think if he does continue to play the least he can do is concentrate on The Roosters and quit rep footy.

Will always appreciate him and wish him all the best but the club can’t afford to risk his health and waste space in the salary cap.

Comment

It’s annoying when commentators and other fans make uneducated opinions about Cordners issues and saying he should retire AND it’s very disappointing that our fans get into this topic saying the same thing because we should try to understand Boyd’s decision.

Can anyone imagine the pressure Boyd and his family is going through especially when he and his family read and hear idiots in the media talk out of their arse about something they really don’t understand.

Its Boyds life and career and listening to those buffoons in the media telling him he should quit would be depressing him AND though we cannot control what outsiders crap on about, Us fans should give him the respect and support with whatever decisions he makes, instead of jumping to conclusions.

Comment

Like most here I wish Cordner well and respect him and the club immensely however I can’t recall other players in the comp who having concussion issues. It has made me think is it the style of game we play? It was noticeable towards the end of the season and in Origin that opponents have really figured our pet plays resulting in our players being hammered.

Comment

It's his body and it's his call. Why would he not want to play if he feels fine and the doctors have given him the all clear?? There seems to be a lot of 'neurosurgeons' out there prepared to make a call on Boyd's career without even consulting him at the moment
              You and I are in a very small minority (is this a Mossopism?) on this issue.

The amount of 'experts' in regards to neuroscience, concussion effects and the like etc is absolutely bloody astounding. None more so than Dr Peter Fitzsimmons.

But the masses, like sheep, believe that what the media espouses is gospel.

Unbelievable.

Comment

IMO people confusing Robbo taking extra care of his players to ensure their longevity, with those players having serious issues and needing to retire.

We see this with Freddy putting Cordner straight back on. Matto saying Madge wanting him to play after concussion vs Robbo giving him the week off.

ps: where was all the concern for Friend who has had his third concussion in quick time?

Comment

Boyd Cordner has been ruled out of the NSW State of Origin team for the return game against Queensland on Wednesday night.

The NSWRL will make the announcement later this afternoon. Fullback James Tedesco will take over as the NSW captain.

Cordner is expected to leave the Blues camp later this afternoon and miss the rest of the series.

He is standing down on medical advice after a series of concussions during the season.

The NSW side will be announced at 4pm this afternoon.

Cody Walker is certain to play at five-eighth and selectors are tossing up between Nathan Cleary and Luke Keary for the half-back jersey.

Comment

Commentators are paid to comment. The rest of us are entitled to an opinion and I think those opinions are coming from a good place.

Equally, Boyd is entitled to ignore all of those comments and all of those opinions because in most cases, they aren't grounded in expertise and at the end of the day, the only opinion that matters is his own. I respect that he will form his opinion, having considered expert advice and he will decide when to retire. Personally, I have no expertise in and little knowledge of neuroscience. So what is my uninformed opinion?

Based solely on what I see - not on what others say - I fear for his health and I care more about that than the Roosters results. I think we all 'love' the man and have huge appreciation for his talents. We all want what is best for him and whilst we don't know what that is, nor do we claim to, we fear he may be too brave for his own good. It's all about Boyd.

Comment

I feel that as a club we take more caution and better care regarding concussions and that has increased media attention to us whenever a player has multiple head knocks? Not trying to take anything away from Cordner's health and wellbeing (or the others), just making a seperate point that I feel other clubs have players who have had multiple head knocks but no one notices because they don't rest them so it isn't reported.

In that sense I feel we are punished as a club for doing the right thing, while other clubs push their players back the week after a head knock and nothing is said?

Nice guys finish last? (in terms of sportsmanship anyway).

Not that we aren't used to being the focus of the media...

Comment

Cordner's been ruled out of series

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/11/06/...origin-series/

I was wondering if anyone thinks that Friend suffered a head knock in game 1- he got up and rolled his arm around like it was an arm/shoulder problem though

In my view Cordner and Keary are either 1 bad head knock or a series of minor ones away from medical retirement - Friend possibly also.

I was wondering if they isolate these head knocks to see if these or some could be avoided and thus train players to avoid these scenario's. One's such as when a player gets their head in the wrong position when tackling can be avoided - some of those one with front of tackles resulting in head clashes possibly - players being flung to the ground or back slammed and hit their head on the ground - up to refs/nrl i suppose if rules are required to eliminate these tackles.
                        Last edited by King Salvo; 11-06-2020, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Enjoy your holiday Boyd. Well deserved
                          ..it’ll be interesting to see

Comment

Originally posted by King Salvo View Post
                            Cordner's been ruled out of series

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/11/06/...origin-series/

I was wondering if anyone thinks that Friend suffered a head knock in game 1- he got up and rolled his arm around like it was an arm/shoulder problem though

In my view Cordner and Keary are either 1 bad head knock or a series of minor ones away from medical retirement - Friend possibly also.

I was wondering if they isolate these head knocks to see if these or some could be avoided and thus train players to avoid these scenario's. One's such as when a player gets their head in the wrong position when tackling can be avoided - some of those one with front of tackles resulting in head clashes possibly - players being flung to the ground or back slammed and hit their head on the ground - up to refs/nrl i suppose if rules are required to eliminate these tackles.
                            Other then the one against Canberra in the semis where he went off for his HIA before returning, I can't remember him having any issues at all this year. Was there an incident I have forgotten?

Comment

Other then the one against Canberra in the semis where he went off for his HIA before returning, I can't remember him having any issues at all this year. Was there an incident I have forgotten?
                              Keary has a history of them

Keary’s troubling history with concussions saw him sidelined for an extended period after suffering his fifth head knock in 18th months last year.

They have been doing research on the link between concussions and dementia and alzheimers and the increased risks of developing these symptoms opposed to people who haven't suffered concussions - they will more than likely develop either of these symptoms or both and maybe earlier than expected as a result of the concussions.- something like 70% chance

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/sta...543411bf4025db
                              Last edited by King Salvo; 11-06-2020, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by King Salvo View Post
                                I am well aware of the issues he suffered in 2019. The way people were carrying on I thought he must have had a knock in 2020 that I missed

Comment

Working...
                                X