Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ricky's Best-of-Three Grand Final Series

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...52a5cd58463018

Canberra coach Ricky Stuart first tabled a bold plan to have a best-of-three grand final series way back in 2005. Now he says the cash-strapped NRL can’t ignore the concept for a second time.
    It’s the rugby league revolution 15 years in the making.
    Ricky Stuart tabled a best of three grand final series in his Sunday Telegraph column in 2005, and now says the cash-strapped NRL must not ignore this potential gold mine for the second time.

Stuart remains convinced the idea would be a winner, even if some say it is not a part of rugby league’s tradition.

Stuart has won grand finals and lost grand finals as a player and as a coach, so he has seen both sides of the argument.

#####

"Gold mine"?
    Because fans would have to pay 3 times to see the end result?

What … play 3 Grand Final matches at 3 different venues...Melb, Brisbane, Sydney?

What do I think?
    I have no idea.

Thoughts please.

I have always been a fan of the idea of a 'series' rather than a once off. But Im happy with it the way it is as well.

The risk of running a 3 game series is that you wont fill every game.
    FVCK CANCER

Comment

Why stop at 3? Why not best of 5? Or 7?

And let's run the Melbourne Cup a few times too. And the federal election.

Comment

that original article was part of Ricky's therapy - he was trying to deal with losing B2B gfs. If Canberra had won last year he wouldn't be giving it another airing.

Comment

In such a tough sport i don't agree. Keep it to one.

I have never liked the basketball and baseball final series. Image having a final series in the cricket or soccer world cups.

Comment

Finals series and origin are a couple of the few things that aren't broken in the league atm. There's no need to try and fix them.

Comment

I don't mind it, might earn the NRL some coins

Comment

Originally posted by Spirit of 66 View Post
                Why stop at 3? Why not best of 5? Or 7?

And let's run the Melbourne Cup a few times too. And the federal election.
                Nice laugh at that 66...I think with a generous top 8 we don't need more than 1 grand final. Thanks Stick.

Comment

What if one team wins the first 2/3 , do they still play the third? Nice idea but not for league, leave it for basketball and baseball

Comment

Originally posted by OMR View Post
                    What if one team wins the first 2/3 , do they still play the third? Nice idea but not for league, leave it for basketball and baseball
                    Agree original (and rightful) Old Man Rooster.

NFL and Rugby League is different to baseball, basketball and AFL. Such a tough physical contract sport can suffice with one decider.

Comment

Just Ricky trying to be a visionary.

Comment

Trent disagrees. His idea is to get as many clubs involved for as long as possible. If they have 3 grand finals over 3 weeks, only 2 clubs are involved. Makes sense to me, Trent is a true visionary. The league knows this and will try and poach him eventually.

Comment

I’ll buy a ticket to game 2 thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Thirteen View Post
                            Trent disagrees. His idea is to get as many clubs involved for as long as possible. If they have 3 grand finals over 3 weeks, only 2 clubs are involved. Makes sense to me, Trent is a true visionary. The league knows this and will try and poach him eventually.
                            And Trent is the only coach on the NRLs panel created to devise a plan to restart the competition.

It speaks volumes to a) his intellect and b) his selflessness. The NRL can trust Robbo to devise a plan for the benefit of the game, not just himself.

Imagine Wayne, Bellamy or Hasler doing that. Never in a million years.

We've never seen a coach like Robbo and never will again.

Cherish the Robbo era and long may it last.
                            Last edited by Tommy Smith; 04-02-2020, 06:15 PM.

Comment

The best of 1 with the kick off at 3 pm . The nrl have been trying to fix things that aren't broken for years.

Comment

Working...
                              X