NRL 2020 Ad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Moose View Post
    God you're a bunch of sooks, everyone is "too pc" but as soon as something isn't directly aimed at you, you basically throw a tantrum. It's an ad, it's supposed to bring in new fans, not more middle aged men.
    But it’s the middle aged men that bring in the money

Comment

God you're a bunch of sooks, everyone is "too pc" but as soon as something isn't directly aimed at you, you basically throw a tantrum. It's an ad, it's supposed to bring in new fans, not more middle aged men.
      Yeh ok i’m sure you don’t see 2 guys kissing or red necks drinking in a pub for the latest National Netball ad aeeeeee. Its not about being sooks just sad to see an agenda being pushed & used through our sport especially for the young kids to see

Comment

Yeah..those bastards.

They're like the Romans...what have they ever done for us?

Comment

The thread started by asking for our thoughts. Therefore we have responded with our opinions. I wouldn’t say we are throwing tantrums just because we don’t like the add.
          Also, I feel the add isn’t directed at the Rugby League following public to entice more to become fans and come to the games which it should be doing. I feel it’s trying to make a political statement using the game do it. I reiterate, it’s just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowzy View Post
            Thoughts on the Ad? I am so over the NRL trying to be so politely correct and trying to please everyone. Your product is football, highlight that.

from a Roosters perspective, think it’s a bit of a joke we only get 5 seconds of the ad, after being the first team to go back to back in 25 years.

https://youtu.be/3afWSPoIBs8
            Bon Jovi's This Is Our House was better.

Comment

Originally posted by OMR View Post

But it’s the middle aged men that bring in the money
              the middle aged men are already fans

Comment

Originally posted by GrubBER View Post

Yeh ok i’m sure you don’t see 2 guys kissing or red necks drinking in a pub for the latest National Netball ad aeeeeee. Its not about being sooks just sad to see an agenda being pushed & used through our sport especially for the young kids to see
                what agenda? being inclusive?

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks Fur Coat View Post

Yeah..those bastards.

They're like the Romans...what have they ever done for us?
                  the middle aged men who are going to be fans already are fans.

Comment

Originally posted by RoosterChick View Post

The thread started by asking for our thoughts. Therefore we have responded with our opinions. I wouldn’t say we are throwing tantrums just because we don’t like the add.
                    Also, I feel the add isn’t directed at the Rugby League following public to entice more to become fans and come to the games which it should be doing. I feel it’s trying to make a political statement using the game do it. I reiterate, it’s just my opinion.
                    what political statement? was this ad sponsored by the LNP or something?

Comment

the middle aged men who are going to be fans already are fans.
                      So I guess you would still be ok if the ad featured Teddy draped in our Aussie flag, and no Lattrell/Indig one?

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks Fur Coat View Post

So I guess you would still be ok if the ad featured Teddy draped in our Aussie flag, and no Lattrell/Indig one?
                        because being inclusive of a marginalized group that has massively contributed to the game is a bad thing right?

Comment

Paul Kent wrote an article saying he sees the ad as divisive and reading the comments here, you would have to agree

Comment

Originally posted by Headless Chook View Post
                            Paul Kent wrote an article saying he sees the ad as divisive and reading the comments here, you would have to agree
                            I'm far from a PK fan, but the article is some of his best work.

Comment

what political statement? was this ad sponsored by the LNP or something?
                              As stated didn't mind the add except letting vermin back in comp but how can 2 woman kissing and Latrine draped I indiginous flag , and not showing Aussie flag not be considered political

Comment

Kents article..

March 2, 2020 9:44pm
                                DAILYTELEGRAPH.COM.AU

The advert is a revival of Tina Turner’s famous ‘Simply The Best’ campaign – 2020 marks the 30th anniversary of the campaign.

In attempting to be courageous and visionary the NRL’s new ad has failed miserably.

It is neither courageous nor visionary.

Instead the new ad is stale and cliched and, if you wanted to insult high schoolers, nothing better than ninth graders could trot out in film class.

It contains none of the daring of the original ad, which took tremendous early vision from the game’s then-boss, John Quayle, and then required courage to see it through.

If ever there was a metaphor for the game today …

The new ad attempts to call on the competition’s heritage.

The new ad attempts to call on the competition’s heritage.

Once Quayle recognised that the game needed to go in a new direction to find a new audience, and Quayle convinced Tina Turner’s manager Roger Davies What You Get Is What You See should be the new anthem, the great shadow of Rex Mossop nearly killed it all.

Mossop, then the game’s biggest media figure, called Quayle with a question that sounded much more like a threat.

“Tell me it isn’t true,” he said. He’d heard an American grandmother was going to be the new face of the game, which isn’t quite how he actually said it, and he did not think it was a particularly good idea.

Quayle played dumb to Mossop, saying he wasn’t sure, but within hours others inside League headquarters grew terrified of the media backlash and urged Quayle to scrap it and go with something more traditional, more familiar and easier to like.

It was going to cost them their job, they said.

Quayle refused, saying, “I’ll stake my job on it.”

Retro affections fail to capture the original spirit.

Retro affections fail to capture the original spirit.

It took only days for the ad to become the benchmark around the world for how to sell a sport. The following year, 1990, the game launched Turner singing Simply The Best and the game went to another level again.

The NRL has re-launched Turner’s song to commemorate the 30th anniversary.

It is with some reluctance that a hand goes up today to admit that I was part of a small committee, along with several other league journalists, asked by the NRL to contribute storylines from the past 30 years for the ad.

I will leave it to the others to confess their role. The smart ones will admit nothing.

Perhaps that is why the ad actually looks like it was put together by committees and interest groups.

It looks like a box-ticking exercise. Bland, politically correct gestures from an NRL losing touch with the great majority of the game’s fans as it continues its blind path towards irrelevance.

It is a dangerous path they follow, ignoring the great majority of its fans.

“A big moment for equality …” says the voiceover, while also showing a photograph of Women’s State of Origin couple Karina Brown (Queensland) and Vanessa Foliaki (NSW) kissing after the game.

Then up pops Macklemore, involved in rugby league for, oh, about 15 minutes tops, to take his place as another significant part of the past 30 years.

If there was a minority that was missed the NRL will be deeply depressed.

Meanwhile, forget about those who have volunteered a lifetime to the game, a great majority who once believed they were actually part of what was good in the game.

No, they remain unrepresented now, unless that is them in generic crowd shots, or perhaps marching down George St in support of the banished Rabbitohs, their moment swathed in anger.

South Sydney’s fans fight for their club gets a nod.

South Sydney’s fans fight for their club gets a nod.

The Super League war gets a start, another cause for division.

In all, it is an angry ad, highlighting everything that has or does divide our society. It overlooks the years of hard work many good people did to make rugby league an inclusive game, a game that actually united communities.

So Latrell Mitchell’s protest is recognised, a proud Mitchell dominating the ad while draped in the Aboriginal flag.

The actual reality, that indigenous players almost always bring a light to children’s eyes, that the women’s competition is so far ahead of its AFL rival, goes unrecognised as the game chooses to focus on other aspects of their contribution.

Is the new ad inspiring or divisive?

Is the new ad inspiring or divisive?

Rather than unite the game, as Turner’s ad once did, this ad creates the thought that there is separation.

Turner’s original ads were so outstanding you could dim the sound and it still visually stirred.

Turn down the sound on this one and by the end of it you will be angry enough to kick in your television set.

No, after 30 years all that survives is the power of Turner’s song.

The original ad made you feel a part of rugby league.

It was courageous and visionary and it made you feel good for being a part of it.

This one does not.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/opinion/new-nrl-is-a-bland-exercise-in-boxticking-that-misses-the-spirit-of-the-simply-the-best-campaign/news-story/7273ebd31f155fb703

Comment

Working...
                                X