Announcement

Collapse

Browse Ad-Free in Season 2020!

Support TheChookpen with a Premium Subscription and browse the forum AD-FREE. Click this link to purchase a subscription for the 2020 season! For more information about Premium Subscriptions, please click this link.
See more
See less

Roosters legendary centre Mark Harris doing it tough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roosters legendary centre Mark Harris doing it tough

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/mark-ha...b-843a4d5e2d9b

One of the Eastern Suburbs Roosters greats and Mark will always have a special place in my heart and is part of a magic period of my childhood. I wish him well in his current health challenges.

A legend in all senses of the word. Was one of my favourites in the 70's...loved watching his unstoppable charges on the ball. Sat in front of him at a club game at Allianz in 2018 and we had a chat about the old days....we shared our opinions on the play that day...a very friendly and approachable man...I wish him well in his struggle.....

Comment

All the best to an Easts legend.

Comment

Medical reports, though vague, don't sound good. Hope he can get a few more quality years.

A great player in a golden age for us.

Comment

An integral part of our great 74 75 side, A great player and a great bloke. I'll never forget a game against St George at the SCG in 75 when he scored 2 tries from the first and 2nd kick offs, it was 10-0 after 3 minutes. Get well Mark.

Comment

Mark was before my time, but was one of my father's favourite players in that golden 1970's era. I wish him, his family and his extended Easts 'family' well during this challenging and upsetting set of circumstances.
            MRR or Rabid

Some people believe supporting the Roosters
            is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed
            with that attitude. I can assure you it is
            much, much more important than that.

(1981 Bill Shankly quote variation)

Comment

Part of our previous B2B premierships.

Ran like a forward in our backline.
              For our younger supporters please Google him!

Absolute legend on the field and a gentleman off the field.

Very sad news indeed.

Comment

Cancer!!!! I just lost one parent to this insidious disease and will lose the other one soon also. One of these days I hope science can find a cure.
                Best wishes to Mark and his loved ones. It's a horrible thing to go through.
                I only saw him play at the end of his career as I didn't start following the game properly till about 1978.

Comment

Pioneer.
                  Once you’ve had fat, you’ll never turn back

Comment

Hey Mark Harris, you are a legend of this great club and I know that if you remain positive and show some of that grit and determination you showed for the Roosters you'll get through this.
                    I had throat cancer when I was 64 and I had to have the Lymph nodes removed from my neck as they were cancerous as well as a tumor in my neck 3 weeks of chemo and 8 weeks of radiation and I was discharged. Good luck with it all Mark. I am thinking of you mate you were one of my favorites at the Roosters.

Comment

Originally posted by mightyrooster View Post
                      Cancer!!!! I just lost one parent to this insidious disease and will lose the other one soon also. One of these days I hope science can find a cure.
                      Best wishes to Mark and his loved ones. It's a horrible thing to go through.
                      I only saw him play at the end of his career as I didn't start following the game properly till about 1978.
                      Sorry to read that MR. I think pretty much everyone has been impacted by it, directly or indirectly, one way or the other. Terrible.
                      MRR or Rabid

Some people believe supporting the Roosters
                      is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed
                      with that attitude. I can assure you it is
                      much, much more important than that.

(1981 Bill Shankly quote variation)

Comment

I was only young when he was playing for the Roosters (I got his autograph) but I clearly remember him going over to the States to play Gridiron, no one had ever done that before. He had a wicked nose as well.
                        Anyway I hope the best for him.
                        Originally posted by Chook;n805564
                        Why the fark anyone takes any notice of modern media is beyond me. It's all click bait populist crap aimed at the lowest common denominator.

Chook.

Comment

Wishing him all the best
                          #InRobboWeTrust

Comment

Hope Mark gets to read some of these messages.

He was a big part of a golden Roosters era that attracted so many new fans. A beast of a ball carrier who could send defenders flying like ten pins and had pace too. A true Roosters legend and hero- i think he would be surprised how popular he still is amongst so many supporters of that era.

Keep fighting big fella...... you got an army of Roosters supporters praying for a speedy recovery

Comment

Watched him play many many times. Back in those days there was no Foxtel only the Sunday afternoon game on TV so if you wanted to watch your team you went to the game. We would go to every game back then. The furthest you had to go was Penrith. Mark was a fantastic attacking player and a massive kicker if the ball. Hence he went to the US to play gridiron. All he did over there was the kick off. Probably got well paid but not a lot of satisfaction from it, so he came back to Rugby League. He was great to watch. Big, strong, exciting ball runner.
                              I hate to say it but Latrell plays like him.

Comment

Working...
                              X