Announcement

Collapse

Premium Subscriptions are now Active

Premium Subscriptions to TheChookpen.com.au can now be purchased and activated by clicking this link here or by clicking your Username at the top right, then User Settings, then Subscriptions. Thanks for your ongoing support leading into 2020! For more information about Premium Subscriptions, please click this link.
See more
See less

Withdrawn contract offers does not mean the player is leaving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The ticket View Post

Which stage is smug?
    Just being a smartass to a smartass. Might be the lowest form of wit but if you're going to be a smartass at least get it right.

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster_6 View Post

Just being a smartass to a smartass. Might be the lowest form of wit but if you're going to be a smartass at least get it right.
      Ok 6 if you want to be pedantic about it I will play your game and point out to you that there are in fact modern variants wherein denial is listed as the second stage.

https://www.thrivetalk.com/7-stages-of-grief/

Comment

Originally posted by ROC181 View Post
        Correct R6...I thought I'd add this article from the SMH today:

The owner of the $250,000 Mercedes that Latrell Mitchell drove for a month during this year’s finals series has come forward to identify himself – builder Alex Rahman.

And he has also stepped out to defend his mate of nine years.

“Anyone who says Latrell is greedy doesn’t know a thing about the man,” he said. “Latrell loves the Roosters, they are his club and leaving the team will hurt him to his core if that’s what happens.”
        The Roosters saw the car as a sign Mitchell had lost focus – and feared it belonged to an associate of advisor Mario Tartak – who was angling to get the star to leave. Taken for a ride: The Mercedes Latrell Mitchell has been driving was lent to him by a friend.
        “It’s my car, I’ve got a building company that employs 65 people ... I lent it to him because his Hilux broke down,’’ Rahman said. ‘‘People make so many assumptions about Latrell ... like the car. The facts are straightforward. He is a young dad, he has another child coming and he wants to make the most of his earning time in football. What’s wrong with that?
        Advertisement
        ‘‘He thinks he can do better than the money he was offered and he is having a look. He isn’t the first footballer to do that. The attacks on him won’t break him or worry him. He is tough as. He has copped it his whole life and now he is standing up for himself.” RELATED ARTICLE

Add to shortlist
        On Tuesday, the door was shut on Latrell Mitchell at Bondi.

For the Roosters, the view was simple. If a rival club has the money to take Mitchell for the 2020 season, he was theirs. It followed our column from last week where we told you Mitchell had all but made up his mind to go. It’s a long way from the moments straight after the club’s emotional grand final win last month.

In the minutes after full-time Mitchell had his daughter on his shoulders. She was wearing a red, white and blue dress and a giant smile. Mitchell was embracing his mum, Patricia, and his dad, Matt, had tears in his eyes as I talked to him. RELATED ARTICLE

OPINION

Add to shortlist
        “I said to him, you are 22 and not many players get to play in one grand final, let alone two,” Matt said of the moment. When I mentioned it had been a tough year for his son, Matt gushed: “The good thing about the Roosters family is they are all family. Robbo and the crew let him come home and sort things out.’’

Did he think Mitchell was staying at the Roosters?

“I hope so, I love this place.”

Fast forward a month and Trent Robinson is sitting opposite Latrell at his home in Maroubra telling him the offer is gone – $800,000 a year off the table.

Across the other side of the world Nick Politis was backing his coach, and fuming. He knows how much the club has done for Mitchell, and his family. Politis is about respect. He wasn’t feeling that from Mitchell.

By Danny Weidler
        November 9, 2019 — 10.24pm
        That last bit...may spell the end here for Mitchell
        Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Comment

Originally posted by Maxy Walker View Post

Ok 6 if you want to be pedantic about it I will play your game and point out to you that there are in fact modern variants wherein denial is listed as the second stage.

https://www.thrivetalk.com/7-stages-of-grief/
          You mean someone has repackaged her theory to try and sell it for self gain without facing copyright infringement?

Let me tell you about the 16 stages of grief...

Comment

Originally posted by The Brain View Post

That last bit...may spell the end here for Mitchell
            Sounds like a crock of shit made up by a journalist from an 'anonymous source'. If Politis values respect and loyalty above all else do you really think those around him would leak their private conversations where he aired his feelings on the matter to Danny Weidler....

Unless there is a direct quoute take it with a grain of salt, it's nothing more than a calculated guess from Weidler.

I'm sure Politis isn't happy, no one needs an unnamed source to take that kind of educated guess. However I think he's just as likely to put an arm around the kid and pull him back in line. There are just as many stories about Uncle Nick's kindness as there are his ruthlessness.

Comment

Let me tell you about the 16 stages of grief...
              Do you think 16 stages will be enough? I think you might need a few more. Acceptance seems a fair way off.

Comment

Rooster_6 Do you reckon Latrell will play for the Roosters in 2020?
                Get out of the way, I'm next

Comment

Considering that Jake Friend was able to turn it around after having his contract torn up, there might still be a chance that Mr Politis will take the kid aside and work out the problems. Haven’t given up totally yet.

Comment

There seems to have been this leap to the assumption that just because the Roosters withdrew their offer to Latrell Mitchell that he is now no chance of staying which just isn't true.

Offers are often just withdrawn because the two parties are working on different time lines.

In this case the Roosters have numerous top end players off contract this year and can't afford to wait until Latrell Mitchell finishes 'testing the water' because his 700-800k whilst not signed for has been allocated on the Roosters budget and therefore couldn't be offered to another player.

This puts the club at risk of losing a player before Mitchell makes his decision and if Mitchell choses to leave then the club loses 2 players with 800k in their hands looking clueless.

There is no doubt a lot of emotion involved in this, the Roosters feel disrespected as evidenced by their unprecedented statement on the issue.

Now I'm not naive, offers are also withdrawn because one of the parties no longer wishes to negotiate. The chances of him leaving are definitely higher than a week ago.

We are a passionate bunch, I just urge caution on this topic as there is a lot of mis-information being publicly spread on this topic and your feelings/comments on the matter can't be taken back.

My information on this is that the Roosters still would like to re-sign Mitchell and Mitchell does genuinley care about the club and what they've done for him.

Give it some time though and let some water pass under the bridge. It doesn't sound like we will hear a decision for some time contrary to what Tripple M are reporting.

Keep in mind too, none of this has been driven by Mitchell. He wants to test the waters and that's fair enough. It's the media's insane interest in him that has driven a lot of the talk and then our statement was like a bottle of gasoline that just ignited the whole chaos. Mitchell hasn't said a bad word about the club so whilst he's still here and wearing our colours I will continue to support him.
                    I would say that if a club withdraws a contract offer then it's pretty much certain they think the player will be signing with someone else as why withdraw it - Mitchell could play hard ball and not sign with anyone till late in 2020 season as after all he is off contract on 31/10/2020. If that is the case the Chooks would have to play him in FG if form warrants it - will they though ??

Comment

Originally posted by King Salvo View Post

I would say that if a club withdraws a contract offer then it's pretty much certain they think the player will be signing with someone else as why withdraw it - Mitchell could play hard ball and not sign with anyone till late in 2020 season as after all he is off contract on 31/10/2020. If that is the case the Chooks would have to play him in FG if form warrants it - will they though ??
                      Would you play him in FG if he’s playing hardball with you and using your team as a platform to improve his worth at other teams? I wouldn’t, I’d have him on the bench for north sydney for being “ offended “ by our offer ( if that’s what he said).

Comment

I detect Anger, that is stage 4 for you.

Rocky is at Stage 7, express conversion to Acceptance.

Latrel is goneski and can get forked sideways.
                        Who said 13 was an unlucky number? 13th Premiership in yr 13 on our 100th anniversary of our 1913 premiership.

Comment

I think we’re all missing the point. Whether latrell stays or goes, the fact of the matter is we will move on as a club. With Uncle Nick at the top and Coach Robbo at the helm, we are a powerhouse club where no player is too big or irreplaceable.

Have a look at basket case clubs like the Titans, who can hardly get their sh*t together; or the Knights, who are going in to their 6th or 7th year of “rebuilding”. We lost RTS, Jennings and Maloney all in one off season, as well as losing Pearce, JWH and Cordner for a large chunk of the following season (2016) and it took us less than 12 months to recover and become a force again.

Manu may not be as devastating as Latrell, but he brings other qualities such as footwork, finesse and setting up his outside man. I think Manu almost has more try assists than he has tries in the NRL.

Then if Latrell does go, we can look to replace him with the next kid on the conveyor belt: Billy Smith. He’s the same height, and only one pre-season away from being the same weight. We’ve seen how quick he is, I’m sure he can be just as destructive, without the high maintenance.

Latrell has won almost everything in his short time with us and he’s only 22. After back to back premierships in an era where 1 every 10 or 15 years is difficult to come by, he has my blessing to do as he wishes, not that anything I say matters.

- Cooper Cronk' scapula.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky Rhodes View Post

I detect Anger, that is stage 4 for you.

Rocky is at Stage 7, express conversion to Acceptance.

Latrel is goneski and can get forked sideways.
                            Anger is stage 2. Keep up Rocky.

Comment

Originally posted by King Salvo View Post

What BS. If Latrell leaves his decision to late 2020 he won't be playing anywhere as clubs will already have their rosters finalised by this time for 2021.

Comment

Anger is stage 2. Keep up Rocky.
                                lol, i see u going through stages of confusion too...and at stage 2

Stages of Confusion
                                Stage 1: I'm confused
                                Stage 2: See stage 1

Who said 13 was an unlucky number? 13th Premiership in yr 13 on our 100th anniversary of our 1913 premiership.

Comment

Working...
                                X