Announcement

Collapse

Premium Subscriptions are now Active

Premium Subscriptions to TheChookpen.com.au can now be purchased and activated by clicking this link here or by clicking your Username at the top right, then User Settings, then Subscriptions. Thanks for your ongoing support leading into 2020! For more information about Premium Subscriptions, please click this link.
See more
See less

Latrell Online Racial Abuse - NRL Following Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latrell Online Racial Abuse - NRL Following Up

The NRL Integrity Unit will launch an investigation into racist online abuse of Roosters star Latrell Mitchell as players speak out against social media trolls.

Mitchell was one of several players to be targeted via social media over the weekend, with CEO Todd Greenberg labelling derogatory comments about the Indigenous powerhouse as "disgusting".

NRL.com understands that should the proponent of Mitchell’s abuse be identified as a club member, they would face having their membership revoked along with being banned from attending NRL games.

"Racism must be called out in all its forms because the standard you walk past is the standard you accept," Greenberg said.

"I commend Latrell for doing just that. These comments are disgusting and have no place in our game.

"What I love about rugby league is the diverse cultures and backgrounds it brings together. The heritage of our players is what makes our game so special.

"Incidents like this show why our school programs like In League In Harmony and Indigenous rounds are so important to educate the next generation about inclusion.

Thompson responds to racial abuse levelled at Latrell

"There is no place for any sort of abuse on social media towards our players or their families."

While not of a racial nature, Wests Tigers winger Paul Momirovski and Cowboys forward Josh McGuire were also subjected to online abuse following matches played last weekend.

More to come

Noticed Latrell posting about this on Instagram last night, many were writing in to support him. Glad the NRL are following up to try and find those responsible. We ask players to open up with the media and social media just for cowards to anonymously abuse them 24/7 without any consequence

It’s simply ridiculous that people do this in this day and age, no player deserves to get abused online racially or for poor performances, I hope Latrell, Momo and Moose can recover from this and get back in the right headspace.

Comment

Snowflakes! Freedom of speech! Australia!
      Making Steve Naughton look like Vince Mellars...

Comment

Originally posted by Bahrain Rooster View Post
        It’s simply ridiculous that people do this in this day and age, no player deserves to get abused online racially or for poor performances, I hope Latrell, Momo and Moose can recover from this and get back in the right headspace.
        Latrell cops it when he loses, and like yesterday he cops it at a personal level just because he was a part of winning football side - pathetic

The media flips it to make out they care about his well-being too when they are half responsible - the media isn't racist but they add to it with their over the top reporting of him, especially when they deemed him out of form just encourages these keyboard warriors to pile on the hate

no wonder players have bad head space

Comment

Hard to give an exact response without knowing exactly what was said, but anyone who criticises a League player for being Aboriginal is almost like criticising an Olympic sprinter of the modern era for being black. It's an advantage.

Also not too happy with anyone criticising players wearing our jersey because of how they were born.

Comment

Originally posted by zac View Post
            Hard to give an exact response without knowing exactly what was said, but anyone who criticises a League player for being Aboriginal is almost like criticising an Olympic sprinter of the modern era for being black. It's an advantage.

Also not too happy with anyone criticising players wearing our jersey because of how they were born.
            From Latrell's instagram the message he was bringing to everyone's attention was

"****en oath I wish that some one would break that filthy black maggot Latrell Mitchell neck I would laugh my guts up"

Disgusting and totally uncalled for. As Australians and as Roosters supporters we should be supporting Latrell 100% with this sort of stuff, he shouldn't have to cop that in 2019 and he was right to call the person out on it
            Last edited by NorthChook; 08-12-2019, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthChook View Post

From Latrell's instagram the message he was bringing to everyone's attention was

"****en oath I wish that some one would break that filthy black maggot Latrell Mitchell neck I would laugh my guts up"

Disgusting and totally uncalled for. As Australians and as Roosters supporters we should be supporting Latrell 100% with this sort of stuff, he shouldn't have to cop that in 2019 and he was right to call the person out on it
              Shakespeare's got nothing on that bloke.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthChook View Post

Geez that's hardcore.

Throw the book at the abusive troll.

So much abusive stuff (esp regarding people with high profiles) is just ignored.

Good on you Trell.
                To our fans we tell you
                If you have not been told
                We play this game for all of us
                We play it from the soul!

(Jack Gibson, 2002)

Comment

Originally posted by Salvatori Grubber View Post
                  Snowflakes! Freedom of speech! Australia!
                  That’s not funny , if it was intended that way. Freedom of speech does not give any one the right to abuse or denigrate the race or culture of another individual, it’s plain disgusting.

Comment

The canberians are lnown for constant abuse against players...and getting away with it..time zNRL shut them down...have heard a lot recently
                    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Comment

Racial abuse and the encouragement of violence against another individual has to be caught out and most importantly heavily penalised. Naming and shaming isn't enough...it has to be dealt with and calling freedom of speech on this is just pathetic.

Comment

Originally posted by OMR View Post

That’s not funny , if it was intended that way. Freedom of speech does not give any one the right to abuse or denigrate the race or culture of another individual, it’s plain disgusting.
                        SG is our resident lefty - he was taking the piss.

Comment

It’s a myth that we have freedom of speech. That’s an American thing.

That bloke has probably committed a crime.

Comment

I really hope they find the perpetrator of that vile comment. They need to made an example of. Name and Shame them. If these gutless trolls had their identities plastered over the back page of the newspaper it might have a impact and stop it from continually happening. Latrell cops a lot at games from opposition fans when taking kicks from the sidelines but this is worse cause these trolls hide behind fake names and wouldn’t have the guts to say it to Latrell face to face.

Comment

whos the resident leftie? we must speak?

Comment

Working...
                              X