100% Footy - Andrew Webster's Comment on Fittler & Mitchell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spirit of 66 View Post

“The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability”. I think there’s a word for that,..but maybe i’ve misunderstood you.
    I believe that Trew is referring to culture, not race.

The vast majority of Indigneous players come from small regional communties with laid back lifstyles; so to go from there to the big cities and pressures of being a pro footy player under a very regimental system - that must be quite the culture shock and takes its toll.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy Smith View Post
      I believe that Trew is referring to culture, not race.

The vast majority of Indigneous players come from small regional communties with laid back lifstyles; so to go from there to the big cities and pressures of being a pro footy player under a very regimental system - that must be quite the culture shock and takes its toll.
      Lot of excuses seem to be made for Latrell , an amazing talent no doubt , but I/2 the players in league come from small laid back towns ,white , indigenous , Fijian , Kiwi. Its not about where you come from .

Comment

Originally posted by woftam View Post
        !00% Back Fittler , these players and I mean all of them are on big dollars to play football , a game they are suppose to love , a game all of us given there ability would love to play to that level.
        We need to start telling them the hard facts that for the remuneration they recieve , there performances are not up to scratch , wouldnt get away with the rubbish they have been producing in a normal workplace.
        No one is bibber than the club.
        Except Uncle Nic
        Fair point with Origin - $50k PER GAME!!! I suspect a lot of people on here would be lucky to clear that kinda cash in a year, working their butt off 9-5 (or greater).

Freddy picks his team and woulda copped it big time from the media if he didn't win. While I was initially angry about Latrell being dropped let's be frank... I do take such things personally because I'm a massive fan of the guy.

My observation with all journos/commentators is that they hold themselves in very high esteem and often have their own agenda going on. I get tired of reading reactionary media cr@p, where they ramble about how their muck stirring is all about 'freedom of speech' and how forces that be are trying to silence them (when really they're being ratbags and a lot of sensitive subjects need privacy for good reason... 99% of the time this does not mean there's a cover-up... it means people are being badgered by the media during sensitive moments and need some space).

While I'm no superstar, my current job involves knowing a lot of big news stories before the media. My opinion has developed into one that they're not particularly well educated and 90% of the time they'll miss the big, sensitive items in search of their own agenda. Frankly... this happens because they come in with their agenda, don't read the facts properly and instead, badger people with irrelevant questions that 'prove' their agenda along the lines of '[person] refused to answer yes or no, so it must be true'. They use the same trick every time and it gets the same, boring result.
        Last edited by ism22; 07-17-2019, 09:21 AM.

Comment

One thing about Robbo's resting policy is that it's at odds with Gus and Freddy's dictum that 'Origin players have to back up for their clubs'. This might be an issue for our blokes who are borderline selections.

Granted, if they get on the field, they should give 100%, but if we think it's in our best interests - looking at the season as a whole - to give them a rest then it seems ridiculous that they should be penalised with non-selection.

Or, put is this way - a bloke who is rested from club footy for the match after Origin 3 will not be penalised with non-selection, while a bloke who is rested after Origin 1 will be (even though the rest after Origin 1 might allow him to play better in Origin 2).

Comment

Originally posted by Old Man Rooster View Post
            Hard to say but the fact is that Fittler got rid of Latrell and then we won the next 2 games and the series. It seems that at the least Latrell is a pretty moody guy.
            That first Blues SOO team was a mess. A truckload of newbies.
            And the loss was all Latrell's fault? LOL
            Wasn't Latrell who threw the intercept pass....and if I remember correctly Walker played poorly.

Latrell can't leap tall teams in a single bound...he's only one player in the backline.
            Last edited by bondi.boy; 07-17-2019, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bondi.boy View Post

That first Blues SOO team was a mess. A truckload of newbies.
              And the loss was all Latrell's fault? LOL
              Wasn't Latrell who threw the intercept pass....and if I remember correctly Walker played poorly.

Latrell can't leap tall teams in a single bound...he's only one player in the backline.
              Don't try to school me you silly old fool.

Comment

Originally posted by trewhella View Post
                If it was up to me I would give Indigenous players a seperate set of rules and expectations to meet.
                ive met a a fair few in my life and I am fond of all of them.
                they are simply not designed for first grade rugby league regimen.

square peg. Round hole.

we all need to understand that their minds don’t work the same as ours.
                Classic example was the way Gus handled Andrew Walker.

Gus knew how to get the best out of him. Got him back from walkabout and from that moment was unstoppable until he left for rugby union.

Born and bred in the eastern suburbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Vasco View Post
                  Classic example was the way Gus handled Andrew Walker.

Gus knew how to get the best out of him. Got him back from walkabout and from that moment was unstoppable until he left for rugby union.
                  We once had a match at 2.30pm on a Saturday or Sunday and my mate arrived at Central Station at 2pm to make the walk to the game. He saw Andrew Walker there jumping into a cab. Walker played in that match.

Comment

Originally posted by Cockadoodledoo View Post

We once had a match at 2.30pm on a Saturday or Sunday and my mate arrived at Central Station at 2pm to make the walk to the game. He saw Andrew Walker there jumping into a cab. Walker played in that match.
                    I'd believe it. He was probably half cut also.

But that's how naturally gifted he was.

Comment

I agree on Indigenous players, especially those from the bush. Andrew Walker was a classic case. So much talent but marched to the beat of his own drum. I wonder what he is doing these days?

Comment

I agree on Indigenous players, especially those from the bush. Andrew Walker was a classic case. So much talent but marched to the beat of his own drum. I wonder what he is doing these days?
                        When he played for the Brumbies he was living in a bush block outside the ACT somewhere. Every chance he is still there.

Comment

Originally posted by Vasco View Post
                          When he played for the Brumbies he was living in a bush block outside the ACT somewhere. Every chance he is still there.
                          Yeah I would believe it. He was an unbelievable talent.

Comment

Last I heard he was still playing a bit of 7s rugby. That was about a year ago tho.
                            FVCK CANCER

Comment

Originally posted by Cockadoodledoo View Post

Shoulda hit him up for a lift.
                              FVCK CANCER

Comment

Originally posted by woftam View Post

Lot of excuses seem to be made for Latrell , an amazing talent no doubt , but I/2 the players in league come from small laid back towns ,white , indigenous , Fijian , Kiwi. Its not about where you come from .
                                True, its about where you want to go and how you are going to get there.
                                FVCK CANCER

Comment

Working...
                                X