100% Footy - Andrew Webster's Comment on Fittler & Mitchell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 100% Footy - Andrew Webster's Comment on Fittler & Mitchell

Did anyone catch 100% Footy last night. There was a discussion around Fittler's criticism of the media and how he likes to keep his own head, and his players, away from it in State of Origin.

Webster defended the media and claimed that Fittler had started the whole Latrell Mitchell thing by admitting to him that they (NSW coaching staff) were having the same problem with Mitchell that the Roosters were. Getting him motivated to play!

We all know the denials that followed. Naturally Robbo went into defense mode to put out the fire and protect his players. Looking back Fittler stood strong by his comments and certainly backed them up with actions.

Who to believe?

!00% Back Fittler , these players and I mean all of them are on big dollars to play football , a game they are suppose to love , a game all of us given there ability would love to play to that level.
    We need to start telling them the hard facts that for the remuneration they recieve , there performances are not up to scratch , wouldnt get away with the rubbish they have been producing in a normal workplace.
    No one is bibber than the club.
    Except Uncle Nic

Comment

Did you hear the dickheads blaming the media for Cotrics send off. They are the god damn media. It was hilarious
      The Internet is a place for posting silly things
      Try and be serious and you will look stupid
      sigpic

Comment

Hard to say but the fact is that Fittler got rid of Latrell and then we won the next 2 games and the series. It seems that at the least Latrell is a pretty moody guy.

Comment

Latrell had a bad game one. What player hasnt had a bad origin game? Not entirely his fault either and although NSW did well without him, I think they may have gone even better with him.
          FVCK CANCER

Comment

Originally posted by Kingbilly View Post
            Did you hear the dickheads blaming the media for Cotrics send off. They are the god damn media. It was hilarious
            Yes and it's hard and a bit unfair to blame the media for that one. Despite Ricky's ramblings, it looked bad. Only saving grace was that Cotric didn't land completely on top of him. But at no time did Cotric show a hint of pulling out, or easing up o the tackle. I'm with most who say Cotric is not a dirty player and this is not really in his game. Maybe SOO toughened him up a little but we'll let the judiciary decide on that.

But the press had no involvement wit the send off. It would have been a send off most times in the modern day game.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Man Rooster View Post
              Hard to say but the fact is that Fittler got rid of Latrell and then we won the next 2 games and the series. It seems that at the least Latrell is a pretty moody guy.
              I think there was a deeper message in Webster's words. He's admitting that Freddy has confided to him that the coaching staff (or whoever we is) are having a problem with Latrell. But the revealing part is he is also saying that it's the same at the Roosters. And the problem was motivation. So Freddy was up front it was already existent at the Roosters and it was putting people offside. And we as fans could see his form was way below what was expected. Especially in those lead up to origin games.

Gamewise it started after his 10 out of 10, when the media went wild and labelled him the world's best player. I'm not privy to what went on behind the scenes at that point other than he was trying to extricate himself from a contract with Steve Deacon, his life long manager, and get a new more lucrative contract. Freddy made it clear last year he wasn't interested in players whose heads were distracted by personal problems or contract negotiations etc. But he went ahead and selected Latrell anyway, even on the bad form. Danger Will Robinson!

The result was an extremely average performance, including a ten minute spell in the bin and it could have cost the series. It didn't. But he then dropped Latrell, citing motivational concerns etc. I've watched the replay a few times where Latrell first gets the ball and then just kicks it away in the other direction. It was childish. His lack of defensive pressure is plainly evident but he did try and inject himslef more after half time and especially when Cody Walker got hooked.

My point in posting this is to show that the Rossters (to their credit) tried to keep this all under wraps until it could be sorted. But team form has sufferred and we can't go into matches with someone who is not putting in. So hopefully the situation is resolved already as we enter the run home. One player do not maketh a team as Freddy so easily showed despite a heap of criticism coming his way. He is an Easts great and didn't deserve one bit of it that hysteria.
              Last edited by Louis N; 07-16-2019, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Louis N View Post

Yes and it's hard and a bit unfair to blame the media for that one. Despite Ricky's ramblings, it looked bad. Only saving grace was that Cotric didn't land completely on top of him. But at no time did Cotric show a hint of pulling out, or easing up o the tackle. I'm with most who say Cotric is not a dirty player and this is not really in his game. Maybe SOO toughened him up a little but we'll let the judiciary decide on that.

But the press had no involvement wit the send off. It would have been a send off most times in the modern day game.
                I think the refs were forced to send cotric, and probably a bit of a scapegoat, so much was made of them not using the send off anymore and not sending burgess for the eye gouge and others for late hits on playmakers, that this was a way of making a statement that they still have the balls to do it, and it’s hard to argue it too.

Comment

Originally posted by milanja View Post

I think the refs were forced to send cotric, and probably a bit of a scapegoat, so much was made of them not using the send off anymore and not sending burgess for the eye gouge and others for late hits on playmakers, that this was a way of making a statement that they still have the balls to do it, and it’s hard to argue it too.
                  I agree with you, the George Burgess eye gouge non send off was the straw that broke the camel's back. The next player to seriously infringe was always going to go.

Comment

Nicks a good kid and as discussed, its not in his game at all. Doesnt change what he did and he should do a week or two for it but I can assure you that you will never see it again from him. Hes not silly.
                    FVCK CANCER

Comment

Even if you believe Webster's version of events it's 3rd hand information.

A Roosters official told Freddy
                      Freddy told Webster
                      Webster told the world

The original comment may have been something so minuscule and mundane... like most Chinese whispers generally are.

It's not worth discussing. Latrell was tremendous on Sunday. Time to move on.

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster_6 View Post
                        Even if you believe Webster's version of events it's 3rd hand information.

A Roosters official told Freddy
                        Freddy told Webster
                        Webster told the world

The original comment may have been something so minuscule and mundane... like most Chinese whispers generally are.

It's not worth discussing. Latrell was tremendous on Sunday. Time to move on.
                        As Freddy made the comment more than once, well before Webster's comment and proceeded to drop Latrell it was definitely not Chinese whispers. Far from it.

It seems everybody knows about Latrell's problems extricating himself from Deacon's management, Latrell's own admissions that he felt so depressed he didn't want to get out of bed etc and his obvious drop in form, culminating in being dropped from the SOO side - except for you. And such important events to one of our star players is 'not worth discussing' on a Roosters forum.

Sweeping stuff under the carpet, belittling it with Chinese whispers claims is farcical. Continue to live in dreamland if you must and continue your Cronk is gone crusade. You don'r imperiously decide what we discuss. Or do you?

The only thin we agree on is that is has to be moved on from. I am hoping that the Cowboys game was our Rubicon and it is onward and upward from here. Billy Slater said on the same show that he believes the Roosters can now go undefeated for the remainder of the season.

Comment

As Freddy made the comment more than once, well before Webster's comment and proceeded to drop Latrell it was definitely not Chinese whispers. Far from it.

It seems everybody knows about Latrell's problems extricating himself from Deacon's management, Latrell's own admissions that he felt so depressed he didn't want to get out of bed etc and his obvious drop in form, culminating in being dropped from the SOO side - except for you. And such important events to one of our star players is 'not worth discussing' on a Roosters forum.

Sweeping stuff under the carpet, belittling it with Chinese whispers claims is farcical. Continue to live in dreamland if you must and continue your Cronk is gone crusade. You don'r imperiously decide what we discuss. Or do you?

The only thin we agree on is that is has to be moved on from. I am hoping that the Cowboys game was our Rubicon and it is onward and upward from here. Billy Slater said on the same show that he believes the Roosters can now go undefeated for the remainder of the season.
                          I'm well aware of Latrell's struggles, I feel for the guy.

Losing people close to you is tough at the best of times let alone with how much other noise was being generated around him publicly. A transfer move, new management, dropped for origin and questions over his motivation/effort whilst dealing with the death of someone close to you is something I doubt any of us could relate to.

All I'm saying is who knows what information Freddy received from a Roosters official 2 months ago that Webster is now regurgitating to try and keep the story going. Everyone has their own agenda, I'm not denying Latrell's struggles.

Let's move on. As a supporter group surely we can recognise that compassion and not fuelling the rumour mills about "who should we believe" is more beneficial at this stage.

This story is done. I'm over hearing about it. I'm not deciding what we discuss I'm just expressing my opinion and as I have every right to. Just like you do.

Comment

I didn't like Fittler telling tales out of school at all. Unacceptable.

Comment

The concern wasn't about the struggles. It was Fittler saying we weren't happy with him.

Comment

Working...
                              X