Napa released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cockadoodledoo View Post

Teddy, Cronk and now Creighton was the club admitting they got that badly wrong.
    Admittedly Tedesco & Keary were both signed because the club felt that the internal replacements tried weren't up to it.

Robinson clearly has a track record of trying to replace internally first before he goes to market.

Crichton is a bit of a stretch to the say the least, 4 years later & Cronk is probably the only example of 'losing a big player to be replaced by a big player' under Robinson's tenure.

Comment

Originally posted by dice View Post

A bit exaggerated. Panthers subsidised Jennings. RTS $1m. Supercoach chose the younger Hastings over Maloney. Ferguson, Nikorima, and Copley did not come for free.

Ultimately decisions were made in regards to future seasons rather than being forced to release stars.
      What does Jennings payment structure have to do with whether he was replaced by another big name or not? Copley wasn't a big name, lets be real.

What does RTS's Warriors salary have to do with whether he was replaced by another big name or not?

Nikorima was an investment in the future, he wasn't signed to replace anyone & Ferguson was a punt on a reject who came a reasonable price.

The point I'm making is that history shows Robinson generally likes to replace internally before going to the market, the only example I can think of where we lost a big name player and signed one in return would be Pearce & Cronk.

I agree decisions are ultimately made in regards to future seasons and that's why I don't necessarily think it's true that losing Napa means we will go out and sign a big name, there is an inflation of wages that comes with winning a premiership that we will need to navigate over the next 12-24 months.

Comment

Originally posted by Kelby View Post

How?

We lose a great club player, for what, a mercenary?
        for someone who'll make more than 80m a game and if that someone is taupau, the leading offloader in the comp

Comment

If we get injuries in the forwards and rep rounds taking 2 x second rowers, we lack depth.
          It's done, but I'll miss naps.

Why did the club pay for him to go to the usa?
          because he was part of the premiership winning side

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster_6 View Post

Admittedly Tedesco & Keary were both signed because the club felt that the internal replacements tried weren't up to it.

Robinson clearly has a track record of trying to replace internally first before he goes to market.

Crichton is a bit of a stretch to the say the least, 4 years later & Cronk is probably the only example of 'losing a big player to be replaced by a big player' under Robinson's tenure.
            Crighton is a replacement for Guerra and I am sure the club were hoping at some point to bring him in a year earlier. My point was Robbo (and let's be honest Uncle Nick is behind alot of this also) is pro-active in ensuring we have quality replacements brought in to replace players. BTW I will readily admit that the Taupau talk imho is just speculation and putting 2 and 2 together. Every chance he isn't even in the frame and the money is to tie up Latrell and Joey with a view to looking at Collins and or Faamausili to step up into the number 4 front rower position.

Comment

If we get injuries in the forwards and rep rounds taking 2 x second rowers, we lack depth.
              It's done, but I'll miss naps.

Why did the club pay for him to go to the usa?
              Napa was one of the players we were missing in the rep rounds. $600K is too much to pay for depth. Letting him go allows us to improve the squad because that money will be better spent with him gone.

Comment

We just won a Premierhsip without Napa.

No big loss and a great opportunity for the much hungrier Collins, Butcher and Farmer to make their mark.

That being said I wish Napa well as he's still a 100 game Rooster so good luck (you'll need it at the Dogs lol).

Comment

What does Jennings payment structure have to do with whether he was replaced by another big name or not? Copley wasn't a big name, lets be real.

What does RTS's Warriors salary have to do with whether he was replaced by another big name or not?

Nikorima was an investment in the future, he wasn't signed to replace anyone & Ferguson was a punt on a reject who came a reasonable price.

The point I'm making is that history shows Robinson generally likes to replace internally before going to the market, the only example I can think of where we lost a big name player and signed one in return would be Pearce & Cronk.

I agree decisions are ultimately made in regards to future seasons and that's why I don't necessarily think it's true that losing Napa means we will go out and sign a big name, there is an inflation of wages that comes with winning a premiership that we will need to navigate over the next 12-24 months.
                  Didn't the Titans pay most of Copley's contract? Maybe not marquee but Hodges said he was ready to play for QLD... IMO we had hopes for him, otherwise we wouldn't have signed him.

That said I agree that Robbo has a good history of making internals perform.

Based on his presence during GF celebrations and friendship with the boys, I reckon we'll see Sitili get a go really soon. IMO we should in no way assume that Taupau will be signed. Again, we signed Crichton thinking we'd do alright in 2018 and have a serious shot at the 2019 premiership. Instead we won the 2018 premiership and have boosted our squad regardless. Something's gotta give!
                  Last edited by ism22; 11-27-2018, 08:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by fletch View Post
                    The Sydney Roosters have today announced that Dylan Napa has been granted an immediate release from the final year of his contract to sign with another NRL club.

"We have granted this release with the view that it is in Dylan's best interests to secure his long-term future," said Easts Group CEO Scott Bennetts.

"Dylan has been a passionate clubman, and he will always have many friends at the Roosters. We thank Dylan for his contribution to the Roosters over the years, and wish him every success in the future," he added.

Napa made his NRL debut with the Roosters in 2013 and played 122 games over six seasons, highlighted with a Premiership win in 2018.
                    Don't we still have the money from when Pearce left us at the beginning of the year?

Comment

You made a specific reference to salary cap strains. I would otherwise agree that we generally don't replace star players with other star players.

Comment

Originally posted by fletch View Post
                        Will be interesting to see if Taupau is brought in this year or we bank Napa's cash and go on a spending spree for 2020.

Also important to remember that Latrell and Manu are going to need significant upgrades over the next couple of years.
                        Sorry, my last comment was supposed to be with this quote Fletch

Comment

While I'm sad to see Napa go , I think we have a good group of young forwards that will fill the void and deserve more 1st grade experience.
                          Bring on 2019.

Comment

Newcastle owe Easts big time, after building there team from what it was maybe they should give us Ponga

Comment

I don't think he will be replaced by any big name. We have to give others a go or they will leave.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaggers View Post
                                What happens next?
                                We cry, reminisce and move on.
                                2019 will be a struggle thou.

Comment

Working...
                                X