Andrew Webster of the SMH - Souths PR campaign to save Burgess

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by johnnysekret View Post
    It's interesting to note the moral outrage expressed here, stating what a deplorable and despicable man Sam Burgess is without even a single shred of evidence.

I respect that, everyone has a right to moral outrage, even when misdirected and without proof.

However considering Blake Ferguson was convicted in a court of law for indecent assault and Zane Tetevano admitted in court to bashing his girlfriend on four different occasions, just out of curiosity may I ask do you feel some of you are exhibiting gross double standards?

You're happy to have such individuals in your team and treat them like heroes, but you'd like Sam Burgess rubbed out of the game for "maybe" having had a sex chat video with a willing participant who agreed to the chat.

Interesting.

I would have expected these high moral standards would be applicable to all.

Interested in your thoughts.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...g-scandal.html No evidence?

Almost everyone deserves forgiveness for the mistakes they have made, but the first step to earning that forgiveness is to take your punishment and own up to your errors. Blake and Zane have taken their medicine and done their time, owned up to their past errors and poor behaviour. You're talking at a cross-purpose.

Comment

• Haha.. when these media darlings who use their brand profile to rake in money from corporations only for it to unravel with a stray dick pic. Too funny.

And Webster defends them or is at least sympathetic to his journalistic colleague Phoebe. Give us a break. We see it.
      ..it’ll be interesting to see

Comment

• Originally posted by zac View Post

This is a forum of opinion so what is a fact is a bit of a grey area. But, yes, anyone who doesn't know the facts shouldn't be pushing an agenda, shouldn't be making countless, repetitive posts on the one thread.

Not my job, but I wouldn't have a problem if you were banned from the site.

Don't take it personally, and I wish you luck but, yes, this is a Roosters forum.
        I am not pushing any agenda. I have stated I don't know if Burgess did what is alleged.
        However so many people here have him tried, convicted, fined and suspended despite the fact that thus far there is not one photo, video, audio or anything else to prove he did it.

The ones you should be addressing are those doing this, as they are making a massive assumption based on, at this stage, zero proof.
        And if it's a forum of opinion as you state, then my opinion is as valid as anyone's.

Yes, it IS a Rooster forum, so why the obsession with Burgess?

Are you not more excited about your team's chance to beat Souths and appear in a GF?

Lastly, it interests me that you'd like me banned.

I am a member of many league forums and in every one of them the whole essence of having a forum is to respectfully and intelligently debate views, both those we agree with and those we don't.

If you ban and silence people for a differing view you may as well close the forum. It would be exceedingly boring if every poster agreed with every other poster.

Thanks for your response.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rooster_6 View Post

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...g-scandal.html No evidence?

Almost everyone deserves forgiveness for the mistakes they have made, but the first step to earning that forgiveness is to take your punishment and own up to your errors. Blake and Zane have taken their medicine and done their time, owned up to their past errors and poor behaviour. You're talking at a cross-purpose.
          Yes I have read that article, but it does not provide any proof.

Still media accusations, no pics, no videos, no audio.

The "mistake" could well mean Sam leaving his phone around, losing it, lending it to someone etc etc etc, or even being dumb enough to accept this persons request for a chat initially.

However if you do find any links with actual proof I'd actually love to read it.

Lastly, I can't agree everyone deserves forgiveness. There is no excuse, ever, under any circumstances to commit sexual assault against a woman, I have far too much respect for women to ever condone or forgive that sort of behaviour. Anyone who does that has serious mental issues.

Last edited by johnnysekret; 09-18-2018, 09:05 AM.

Comment

Yes, it IS a Rooster forum, so why the obsession with Burgess?
            Because of what the nrl did to Pearce you idiot.
            Why should we cop these double standards from them and the media just because they all piss in the squirrel-grippers pocket?

Comment

So you're saying you will accept players wife bashing and indecent assault as long as it's in the past?

Okay, I can accept your opinion.

Nah It's the different rules different clubs stuff.

Roosters never escape consequences.

Your club doesn't operate on the same level. It pretends or tries to but we all know there's no evidence of it, your fans, PR spin doctors, coach, owner all protect Souths by talking about us or serving up this whataboutery, pointing at indiscretions by anyone in the history book to justify the lowest common denominator behaviour by your own club.
              If roosters were in this position this week - a scandal and an upcoming prelim - and our fans, Robbo, Politis could only talk about Souths I would think jesus christ are we that weak we cant even stand on our own 2 feet?

Facing stuff head on and not dropping your bundle is not in your club DNA. On & off field. Bring on Saturday.

Comment

Would that apply equally to all? In other words should everyone who doesn't know the facts give it a break?

I do accept this is a Rooster forum, which makes the obsession with Sam Burgess even more surprising.

However this is an available topic, the thread is open, and I am providing my opinion on the issue just like everyone else who has contributed to this thread.

Hi Johnny

Thanks for spending some of your time this week providing your thoughts and deliberations on the problems going on at Souths. As a non disclosed supporter of any team, you obviously are very keen to see a balanced approach on this forum to the matter. You, like Sam and the whole Souths club, are stoic and professional in all of your dealings in such a sensitive and difficult time.

Would you do us the honour of popping in next week as we get ready for another grand final (assuming we win through on Saturday)?

Souths will be just a vague memory as they plan their end of season celebrations and put some further risk management strategies in place for their next player behavior mishap.

All the best and thank you again from all of us here at Easts.

Comment

without even a single shred of evidence.
                  lol. Proves you have an agenda.
                  Fat Sam has brought the game bad publicity, and acted like a teenager who hasn't learnt how to conduct himself. Plenty of evidence to support that.

Comment

• Sam Burgess is guilty of bringing this game into disrepute, irrespective of what may or may not have happened - FACT!

Comment

• Originally posted by eddie View Post

Because of what the nrl did to Pearce you idiot.
                      Why should we cop these double standards from them and the media just because they all piss in the squirrel-grippers pocket?
                      Insults and abuse reflect badly on the individual using them, however happy to address your points.

Pearce: Serial offender, visibly drunk on a video in which he is clearly identifiable.
                      Forces a kiss on a woman, is asked to leave the premises and doesn't, mimics sex with her dog, all while captain of a high profile "glamour club". Video supplied by someone present.

Burgess: Accused of exposing his naughty bits in a video chat initiated by a woman unknown to him. No photos, videos or even audio identifying him as the accused. He is not captain of the club and has a clean off field record.

There are no double standards because the two instances are not even remotely comparable.

If Burgess is guilty, then his alleged offence is more in line with that of Konrad Hurrell who received a 5k fine and no suspension.

If Burgess IS found guilty and you want consistency then he should receive a small fine like Hurrell did.
                      Albeit Hurrell was clearly identifiable in his video so perhaps Burgess' fine should be smaller to be consistent wth the Hurrell precedent.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jacks Fur Coat View Post

Hi Johnny

Thanks for spending some of your time this week providing your thoughts and deliberations on the problems going on at Souths. As a non disclosed supporter of any team, you obviously are very keen to see a balanced approach on this forum to the matter. You, like Sam and the whole Souths club, are stoic and professional in all of your dealings in such a sensitive and difficult time.

Would you do us the honour of popping in next week as we get ready for another grand final (assuming we win through on Saturday)?

Souths will be just a vague memory as they plan their end of season celebrations and put some further risk management strategies in place for their next player behavior mishap.

All the best and thank you again from all of us here at Easts.
                        Thank you for the invitation, I'll be happy to pop in post game.

Comment

Fat Sam has brought the game bad publicity, and acted like a teenager who hasn't learnt how to conduct himself. Plenty of evidence to support that.

Boofhead has history in going to any lengths to get 'satisfaction' like even when he did the squirrel grip on a player. He has no moral compass as shown with this incident where 'He Made a Mistake..."

He'll be giving a press conference later about Saturdays game so lets see what he has to say about this tawdry episode.

Comment

Yes I have read that article, but it does not provide any proof.

Still media accusations, no pics, no videos, no audio.

The "mistake" could well mean Sam leaving his phone around, losing it, lending it to someone etc etc etc, or even being dumb enough to accept this persons request for a chat initially.

However if you do find any links with actual proof I'd actually love to read it.

Lastly, I can't agree everyone deserves forgiveness. There is no excuse, ever, under any circumstances to commit sexual assault against a woman, I have far too much respect for women to ever condone or forgive that sort of behaviour. Anyone who does that has serious mental issues.

Correct me if I am wrong, but all we know for sure is that:

- a woman wrote an email of complaint in May
                            - it was accompanied by photos subsequently verified to have been sent from Sam Burgess' phone
                            - she received a brief response from the club, promising follow-up, but this was not delivered
                            - she sent two more emails, asking the club what it had done
                            - these emails received no response
                            - she escalated the complaint to the NRL

As far as I can determine, no additional testimony has been received from the woman. What we have seen (and which was the point of my original post) is a steady stream of stories emanating from Souths and strategically promoted in the media, designed to generate as much doubt as possible about the allegations and to discredit the woman involved - e.g. she's a Roosters fan, she set a honey trap, she asked for it, she sent him lewd pictures first etc.

There is evidence. It just needs to be assessed fairly, not through this fog of innuendo.

(No need to "thank me for my response". It comes across as both supercilious and disingenuous.)

Comment

Insults and abuse reflect badly on the individual using them, however happy to address your points.
                              I'm sorry you are such an idiot.

Comment

If Sam is fat then the guy in the photo is not Sam, the guy in the photo has a clearly defined six pack of abs.
                                Thanks for pointing that out.

Comment

Working...
                                X