Cronk on Big League Wrap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cronk on Big League Wrap

Loved Cronk's handling of the subject of Jakes performances this year. He was put on the spot, he praised Jake for his qualities of hard work and leadership, yet still got the point across that certain players have certain strengths that they should stick to and concentrate on while not trying to do things that are perhaps beyond their capabilities. He also included himself as an example, saying that over the years he had felt pressure to expand his game, be more creative etc, but that he found that if he concentrated on making the best of the strengths he had he could gradually add to them.

Cronk has great communication skills and handled the pressure of being but on the spot to answer questions about his captain and our current situation better that I have heard any other player except maybe Cam Smith. Also liked the way he praised Dean Pay who apparently had one on one's with his front rowers about simplifying their game with great results on the weekend, you could see he was suggesting maybe Trent take note without actually saying it.
    Overall he got the message across that as a team we all need to improve, but if we work together it will happen. He didn't say anything that could offend anyone but got out some hard home truths and certainly gave them something to think about.
    I really think Cronk should have been given the Captaincy before the season started, he is the most experienced player, has achieved the most accolades and has a higher level of communication and leadership skills than anyone else in the team. If we had done that then we would avoid what would have to be an awkward situation if we do make a leadership change mid season.

Not the captaincy but Robbo should be picking his brain on what needs improvement for certain.

Comment

The return of the modern day captain-coach. I reckon players like he and Cam Smith would handle the role comfortably.

Comment

what mick ennis said was spot on. Friend lacks flair and creativity and instead of focusing on his strengths he is trying to force his hand and force something out of his capabilities ( kicking, blind slide plays ). If friend works on his service to our playmakers and his defence and let our other creative players worry about bringing flair to our game i think he would be a great hooker for us.

Comment

Give the guy an Oscar. The 'highlights' of Jake Friend showed how embarrassing he is these days. Ennis was spot on with his appraisal of Friend

Comment

Originally posted by ChookMaster View Post
            what mick ennis said was spot on. Friend lacks flair and creativity and instead of focusing on his strengths he is trying to force his hand and force something out of his capabilities ( kicking, blind slide plays ). If friend works on his service to our playmakers and his defence and let our other creative players worry about bringing flair to our game i think he would be a great hooker for us.
            Of course Ennis could say more and in more direct language than Cronk could solely because of his position in the team. But Cronk showed skill in getting the same message across in a more diplomatic way. Notice he didn't disagree with Ennis's comments, didn't comment on them at all, so well handled.

Comment

Originally posted by NorfolkStreetKid View Post

Of course Ennis could say more and in more direct language than Cronk could solely because of his position in the team. But Cronk showed skill in getting the same message across in a more diplomatic way. Notice he didn't disagree with Ennis's comments, didn't comment on them at all, so well handled.
              Cronk is very well schooled, all we need now is for Cronk to play as good as he talks.

Comment

When the forwards have layed a platform Cronk has been outstanding.

Comment

Coops spoke very well. I just hope Robbo and the rest of the team were watching and what he said sinks in.
                  Coops, in what he said actually gave me hope for the rest of the season.
                  I must admit I was getting worried we were on a downhill slide.
                  One thing he did emphasise was how when everyone works hard for each other we get the results. We do have the talent there to make it happen. We just need to put that effort in and we will beat anyone. Problem is getting that effort every week, instead of one week on one week off.
                  Lets just hope what Coops said can get the ball rolling.

Comment

The problem is if Friend focuses on his strengths (defence) he is no use to our team,hence why he is trying to expand his game..
                    We need a running hooker who can keep the defence guessing and put our team on the front foot..
                    That person is NOT Jake Friend!

Comment

Originally posted by Lydon View Post
                      The problem is if Friend focuses on his strengths (defence) he is no use to our team,hence why he is trying to expand his game..
                      We need a running hooker who can keep the defence guessing and put our team on the front foot..
                      That person is NOT Jake Friend!
                      Jeez I would just be happy with a Dummy Half that gave crisp service, accurate passes and listened to the teams playmakers....

Comment

Originally posted by Arties Pie View Post

Jeez I would just be happy with a Dummy Half that gave crisp service, accurate passes and listened to the teams playmakers....
                        Do you honestly think Friend can master any of those 3 attribute?

Comment

Originally posted by Lydon View Post
                          Do you honestly think Friend can master any of those 3 attribute?
                          Once upon a time but not over the last couple of seasons... No I don't think he can.

Comment

Friend used to give quite good service.

Comment

Cronk more or less said Friend has the full support of the board.

Comment

Working...
                              X