How smart is Robbo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How smart is Robbo?

i think he can talk the bullsh1t. Can he outthink his opponents?
    history would say...no.

he seems popular and articulate.....but can he be polarising and silent?
    barbarian ......arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!!!!!!!

And tactical
    barbarian ......arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!!!!!!!

Comment

He's not so smart with bench rotations,

room to improve
      "Qui audet adipiscitur"

WHO DARES WINS

Comment

Along with Chris Anderson’s one marker tactic, toops sitting on the bench for 70min in a major semi, is a tough one to split for who the smarter coach is.

Comment

Robbo is alot smarter than what people think. Robbo runs the show at the Roosters & Nick & co couldnt be happier.

Comment

He sure is smart. He’s very astute and measured. Very political whilst still maintaining the behaviours that allow the punter to relate to him and most importantly for a rugby league club, his valued persona to his players.

What he’s not is great tactically. He’s responsible for nothing inventive or intuative in terms of what his team does on field. In his 5 year tenure he has brought nothing to the game that sits him in the top run of coaches. His premiership in 13 gets credited to SBW, Maloney, Jennings but I have had many reflections over that time where I see all our 2013 goodness streaming through in the Cowboys side - yes I insinuate that Green brought more than his share to the table in our successes.

I am repeating myself here, but last year 12-14 other teams out shitted us. They lost games to us and each other like no ones business and as a result we over achieved. Seeing no evidence to suggest he tried to fix our a) handling, b) penalties and c) rotations deflated a lot of my confidence in him. Our greatest hope I feel is a combined effort between Taylor and Cronk to give our game life.

Questions I have...

How do you allow a weapon like Latrell to consistently have single digit touches in a game?

How are none of our middle 3rd in the top 20% for metres made.

How are none of our middle 3rd, or squad for that matter, in the top for offloads and metres made after contact.

WTF 2nd rowers playing centres consistently. What does say about our roster management amongst other things.

Why has, how has Jake Friends game gone that far backwards?

How have ave we ended up with poor to average depth (outside of our top 13 we are thin-no more evident than our halves.. We will regret letting Watson go.

Lastly, the Tupou decision smacked of absolute arrogance to me. He pinned his hopes to Tupou not having to play, which I can only assume he did so thinking we had the cows covered. That they couldn’t keep doing what they were doing...

Comment

1st - Premiership
              1st
              1st
              Bad year
              2nd

Yeah I'd say he goes alright. If that doesn't qualify him as in the "upper echelon" of coaches then what does?

I mean no coach is perfect. Wayne Bennett choked away the 2015 GF by playing conservatively when they should have won well. And his team has faded poorly the two following years. Does that disqualify him from being in the upper echelon?

How about Des Hasler. His Dogs teams have been AWFUL and he's out of a job. Not upper echelon?

It just seems to me that the only two upper echelon coaches accoeding to some are Bellamy and Green. And oh look, between them they had the 5 best players in the game by a mile - Smith, Slater, Cronk, Thurston, Lolo.

And btw, saying that 2013 is down to SBW Maloney and Jennings is absolute bullshit. I suppose the Storms title was down to Smith Slater and Cronk. And Munster and Bromwich. So no credit to Bellamy either. And none to Green because he had Thurston Morgan Lolo and Scott. None to Stuart as he had Freddy. None to Bennett as he had the Australian team at Brisbane. None to Hagan as he had Joey (ok that one's true).

People always seem to think that the grass is greener on the other side. When Robbo leaves and is replaced by an inferior coach we'll see that it isn't. He isn't perfect but he's still damn good.
              Last edited by Tommy Smith; 01-21-2018, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Smarter than the av-er-age bear!

Comment

We have been very poor in the games that count since 2013, the loss to the Panthers and Cowboys in Semis were abysmal. I honestly believe though Cronk will bring that guidance and edge we desperately need !!

Comment

Originally posted by trewhella View Post
                    i think he can talk the bullsh1t. Can he outthink his opponents?
                    history would say...no.
                    What history is that?

History shows that very few coaches have been able to get the wood on Trent Robinson over the course of his 5 year NRL career.

If he was being out thought so often like you suggest history shows then you'd have to think he'd really struggle against the same 'smarter' coaches time and time again.

Comment

Originally posted by <ME> View Post
                      Questions I have...

How do you allow a weapon like Latrell to consistently have single digit touches in a game?
                      Latrell is not a quantity output player. What you say isn't untrue because for centres in the NRL last year Latrell Mitchell ranked in the bottom third for average possessions per game.

However for centres, Latrell Mitchell ranked 1st in the NRL for Total Try Involvements per game last year, 1st in Avg Linebreaks & eqaul 1st in Avg tries per game.

The same argument can be made for Luke Keary. In 2017 Keary ranked in the bottom four 5/8's for average possessions per game yet amongst the 5/8's he ranked 1st in Avg Linebreaks, 1st in Avg Linebreak Assists & 1st in average Try Assists.

These aren't quantity players, they're quality players!!

Robinson is a genius, you're just too smart to see it!

Comment

Originally posted by <ME> View Post
                        Questions I have...

How are none of our middle 3rd in the top 20% for metres made.
                        Ignoring what a ridiculous premise this is to measure a coaches ability I can't help but just point out how factually incorrect this insinuation through question is.

Below is a table of the Top 20 Avg forward metre makers of the 2017 season. And on the right of the table is how many representatives from each club appear in that top 20.

Geez Craig Bellamy has got some hard questions to answer for after the 2017 season.

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster_6 View Post

Ignoring what a ridiculous premise this is to measure a coaches ability I can't help but just point out how factually incorrect this insinuation through question is.

Below is a table of the Top 20 Avg forward metre makers of the 2017 season. And on the right of the table is how many representatives from each club appear in that top 20.

Geez Craig Bellamy has got some hard questions to answer for after the 2017 season.

congrats you have just show 4 examples that stats mean nothing. Its all about the end result.
                          Common sence would tell me if latrell is doing damage get him More involved and if robbo keeps falling short in september his job is in danger. Football is not a complicated game

Comment

Originally posted by Bondicigar View Post
                            congrats you have just show 4 examples that stats mean nothing. Its all about the end result.
                            Common sence would tell me if latrell is doing damage get him More involved and if robbo keeps falling short in september his job is in danger. Football is not a complicated game
                            C'mon BC if you're going to try and belittle me by using common sense* at least spell it correctly.

I believe the law of diminishing return partially has a lot to answer for as to why your simple solution isn't so simple & easy.

Give the best player on the field more ball might work in Under 10's, not at NRL level.

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster_6 View Post

C'mon BC if you're going to try and belittle me by using common sense* at least spell it correctly.

I believe the law of diminishing return partially has a lot to answer for as to why your simple solution isn't so simple & easy.

Give the best player on the field more ball might work in Under 10's, not at NRL level.

The only diminishing returns are your replys. All spin and no substance

Comment

Working...
                              X