Unhappy Players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unhappy Players

There seem to be lots of players at the moment unhappy with their deal and threatening to walk out on their club if they don't get an increase mid-contract.

Nathan Ross and Codey Walker come to mind straight away. They are the ones we hear about.

It's not fair for a couple of reasons.

1. Clubs are trying to manage salary cap more than a year (often years) in advance. They can't all of a sudden pay more just because the player thinks they are worth more.

2. If the player was happy with the money when they signed then that should stay the case even if they get better (which players are expected to do, by the way). You don't see clubs wanting to pay less mid-contract because they think the player is worth less than they paid.

The time to negotiate for more money is on your next contract. Players are out of line of they get upset during a contract on the basis they think they are now worth more.

I wonder why this is happening at this time. I think some of these players were hoping to cash in on a greatly increased salary cap that was supposed to come along next season. That won't happen now because the NRL is a money-flushing basket case so the players realise they are stuck. Players who let themselves come off contract at the end of this year for the express purpose of cashing on on that salary cap increase are in a really bad position. They will end up with less than they would have if they did a longer deal because some of those guys had an anticipated increase built on (though sadly for some it was to be a percentage of the increase).

Anyone got sympathy for these players that squeal mid-contract?

The only winners are the managers and they are as dopey as the players
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Comment

Zero sympathy.

It's a bit of a dangerous situation where you have these modern day prima donna's demanding upgrades or they'll have a big sook.

It's very destabilising.

Looking at the Walker situation I can totally imagine that some club has got in his agent's ear and said "how is Cody only on 200k? Get him out of his deal and we'll pay him 600k".

And I can see some club doing the same with Latrell (if they haven't already).

No one forces a player to sign a contract. If you want an upgrade then ask discreetly through the proper channels.
      If the club says no then tough luck. Back to work.

Comment

Originally posted by The Brain View Post
        The only winners are the managers and they are as dopey as the players

How shonky is that industry. And they are making a fortune.

Comment

Those are the only 2 I've heard about and I agree with them. Ross has been Newcastles best back (gagai is doing nothing of late) and is being paid less than some of their reserve grade players.

Cody Walker was promised by slimeball richo that if he signed for unders he would be the first one sorted out when they had money, only to find out that they're giving gagai a huge deal while he's still way underpaid. Which you could argue is his fault for trusting that scummy club but it's understandable why he's angry.

Comment

Originally posted by Moose View Post
            Those are the only 2 I've heard about and I agree with them. Ross has been Newcastles best back (gagai is doing nothing of late) and is being paid less than some of their reserve grade players.

Cody Walker was promised by slimeball richo that if he signed for unders he would be the first one sorted out when they had money, only to find out that they're giving gagai a huge deal while he's still way underpaid. Which you could argue is his fault for trusting that scummy club but it's understandable why he's angry.
            Neither of them have a leg to stand on but I do understand why Walker is pissed - even though I think he has no right to be. He was a nobody when he signed.

Maloney still has a year to run and is moaning as well:

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/pla...260c9198de22d1
            Last edited by Johnny Tobin; 05-19-2017, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Lol Jimmy.

Being paid less than Mitchell Moses! And half of Ben Hunt next year looool

Again, should have back himself and signed a shorter deal.

Comment

is the zero sympathy born out of jealousy from people everybody deserves to be paid what they're worth and I'm sure it's easy to mislead players in to believing they will be looked after clubs and fans go on about player loyalty but the players are the ones putting their bodies on the line and as we find out more and more their own mental health is on the line I think the players deserve the vast majority of the money on offer in rugby league I'm sure tommy s would do everything in his power to leave his job for an extra 400k elsewhere

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy Smith View Post
                  Lol Jimmy.

Being paid less than Mitchell Moses! And half of Ben Hunt next year looool

Again, should have back himself and signed a shorter deal.

I recall we offered him two years. Now here he is at two years and wants to re-negotiate. Pretty sure he would have gotten another couple out of us if his form held.

Comment

People want loyalty from players but why should they be loyal? Clubs aren't loyal to them, theyre happy to pay them as little as they can get away with for as long as possible. That loyalty should be a 2 way street, why should players be loyal to a club that severely undervalues them?

Comment

Originally posted by boogie View Post
                      is the zero sympathy born out of jealousy from people everybody deserves to be paid what they're worth and I'm sure it's easy to mislead players in to believing they will be looked after clubs and fans go on about player loyalty but the players are the ones putting their bodies on the line and as we find out more and more their own mental health is on the line I think the players deserve the vast majority of the money on offer in rugby league I'm sure tommy s would do everything in his power to leave his job for an extra 400k elsewhere
                      Noooo I would honour my contract.

Stop presuming what people would do.

If I signed a contract but wanted an upgrade I would privately ask the clubs powerbrokers for a pay rise. If they said no I'd be professional and get on with my job.

But before it even got to that stage I'd like to think thatI wouldn't sell myself short. Alas, if I did I'd deal with it like a man.

What I wouldn't do is leak it to the media or whinge to the media because I didn't get my way.

Comment

People want loyalty from players but why should they be loyal? Clubs aren't loyal to them, theyre happy to pay them as little as they can get away with for as long as possible. That loyalty should be a 2 way street, why should players be loyal to a club that severely undervalues them?

What about the ones they have severely overvalued? Do you see us wanting to decrease the salaries of Fergo and Guerra?

I am over people complaining about clubs not being loyal to players. It's business and if you agree to play for a sum then you should play for that sum.

Comment

​If they feel that they're being severely undervalued, then they shouldn't sign the contract in the first place. Simple as that.

​Or take a shorter contract so you're free to negotiate earlier if your form warrants an upgrade.

​Other than that, just play footy and STFU.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Tobin View Post

Neither of them have a leg to stand on but I do understand why Walker is pissed - even though I think he has no right to be. He was a nobody when he signed.

Maloney still has a year to run and is moaning as well:

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/pla...260c9198de22d1
                            Yeah wasn't Walker offered something like 500 a year by the Broncos before deciding to stay at Souths for less than half that. Ross signed late last season, I think he rushed into that. NCL may have had some cap issues for 17 but he or his manager if he has one should of ensured his 2nd year of the deal made up for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Insider View Post

Yeah wasn't Walker offered something like 500 a year by the Broncos before deciding to stay at Souths for less than half that. Ross signed late last season, I think he rushed into that. NCL may have had some cap issues for 17 but he or his manager if he has one should of ensured his 2nd year of the deal made up for it.

Looks like this is an annual thing for Walker:

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/...ac3270b5024f8b

Comment

Working...
                              X