Tops feeds in Sydney

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by milanja View Post

Spot on when you say comfort food, I actually think the selection is too big, I had the duck ragu for entree, veal osso bucco main and a really good parfait desert. The wife went for seared scallops entree, orange roughy main and tiramisu dessert, It was ok but I think the seafood was all slightly overcooked, I was tossing up between the pork belly, king island beef fillet but chose the osso, very generous serve.

breaky was just a good hearty well cooked meal with a good selection of bread,yoghurt, and other condiments.

cant believe he is 77 and Vanessa 72! They said they are slowing down, they take about 4 months off a year, when we left they were straight into the cleaning, vacuuming, washing ironing, crazy how they just keep going.

would definitely stay there again though.

on the Friday night we stayed in Nowra cos there was no accommodation left anywhere, and notice a restaurant called the wharf just under the shoalhaven bridge, Sydney chef that has moved down that way, and now gets to use a lot more local produce, couldn’t get a table, but will check it out next time I head towards Jervis.
    When they first went to Milton the selection was a lot bigger but I think they worked out what was more popular and cut a few things off the menu, I have noticed the food while still good was a lot better years ago when they were at Marrickville then a brief stint at Neutral Bay and when they first started at Milton, Analtolij had heart problems a few years ago so very surprised they have kept going . The pork belly is usually very good and I sometimes have the duck ragu which is large for an entrée but I usually always enjoy the squid and mussels for an entrée, a simple dish but done so well. I remember having a really nice borsch the first time I went to the Milton venue but haven't seen it the menu since. Desert wise they used to have a beauty called bananas brennan but they have taken it off the menu now and sometimes they have frozen grapes, when they have them I order one for myself besides another desert and also one for the whole table, Analtolij told me how he prepares them but I'm still yet to do them myself, the sour cream dressing was wicked.
    Have driven past the wharf restaurant at the bridge at Nowra but have never been, Sydney Weekender did a story on it a few years ago but with Nowra I just love driving straight through, I hate how the traffic banks up getting into it and also getting out of it so happy to get through as quick as possible with out stopping.

Comment

• Originally posted by horrie hastings View Post

When they first went to Milton the selection was a lot bigger but I think they worked out what was more popular and cut a few things off the menu, I have noticed the food while still good was a lot better years ago when they were at Marrickville then a brief stint at Neutral Bay and when they first started at Milton, Analtolij had heart problems a few years ago so very surprised they have kept going . The pork belly is usually very good and I sometimes have the duck ragu which is large for an entrée but I usually always enjoy the squid and mussels for an entrée, a simple dish but done so well. I remember having a really nice borsch the first time I went to the Milton venue but haven't seen it the menu since. Desert wise they used to have a beauty called bananas brennan but they have taken it off the menu now and sometimes they have frozen grapes, when they have them I order one for myself besides another desert and also one for the whole table, Analtolij told me how he prepares them but I'm still yet to do them myself, the sour cream dressing was wicked.
      Have driven past the wharf restaurant at the bridge at Nowra but have never been, Sydney Weekender did a story on it a few years ago but with Nowra I just love driving straight through, I hate how the traffic banks up getting into it and also getting out of it so happy to get through as quick as possible with out stopping.
      The borscht soup has been off the menu for a little while they said because it takes a couple days to make. and they said they used to also do cabbage rolls. The soup sounds amazing, I’ve never tried it.

yep, Nowra at any peak holiday season is a disaster, went to berry on the Saturday, and the bypass has made it a dream to get to now, and no trucks to clog up the main road, some very cool deli’s and chocolate shops there, but was way too hot and muggy on the weekend to hang around for long, would like to try the hungry duck restaurant there also run by Dave Campbell who took over the wharf.

Going to eden in a few weeks for a fishing charter, hope the mussel farm is open, I was there a few years ago and there was a disease in the water, so no mussels, compensated by going towards Pambula and getting some oysters from there instead.

Comment

The borscht soup has been off the menu for a little while they said because it takes a couple days to make. and they said they used to also do cabbage rolls. The soup sounds amazing, I’ve never tried it.

yep, Nowra at any peak holiday season is a disaster, went to berry on the Saturday, and the bypass has made it a dream to get to now, and no trucks to clog up the main road, some very cool deli’s and chocolate shops there, but was way too hot and muggy on the weekend to hang around for long, would like to try the hungry duck restaurant there also run by Dave Campbell who took over the wharf.

Going to eden in a few weeks for a fishing charter, hope the mussel farm is open, I was there a few years ago and there was a disease in the water, so no mussels, compensated by going towards Pambula and getting some oysters from there instead.
        Curious to see the Berry bypass, when I have been driving south most times I will go via Gerringong and Shoalhaven Heads just to miss the Berry traffic jam. I got spoiled by Berry when friends owned the Silos winery back in the 90s, they sold it off years ago but i used to love going down and staying there and going into Berry when they did have interesting shops, now Berry just seems like a tourist trap with lots of generic stuff you can get anywhere. I do agree I would love to try the Hungry Duck which has been there for quite a while now, another restaurant I would like to try is called South Of Albany down there.

I remember you saying when you went Eden last time about the disease that effected the mussels, I love a good feed of mussels but the upside you got to sample the local oysters, last trip that far south I bought some Wapengo Lake oysters at Bermagui and I would rate them as the best oysters I have even eaten, I am going up the north coast early March and love the seafood up there but I do reckon the south coast oysters are far superior to the north coast ones. Look forward to a full report on your fishing charter trip and what you catch once you are back from there.

Comment

Curious to see the Berry bypass, when I have been driving south most times I will go via Gerringong and Shoalhaven Heads just to miss the Berry traffic jam. I got spoiled by Berry when friends owned the Silos winery back in the 90s, they sold it off years ago but i used to love going down and staying there and going into Berry when they did have interesting shops, now Berry just seems like a tourist trap with lots of generic stuff you can get anywhere. I do agree I would love to try the Hungry Duck which has been there for quite a while now, another restaurant I would like to try is called South Of Albany down there.

I remember you saying when you went Eden last time about the disease that effected the mussels, I love a good feed of mussels but the upside you got to sample the local oysters, last trip that far south I bought some Wapengo Lake oysters at Bermagui and I would rate them as the best oysters I have even eaten, I am going up the north coast early March and love the seafood up there but I do reckon the south coast oysters are far superior to the north coast ones. Look forward to a full report on your fishing charter trip and what you catch once you are back from there.
          The bypass is superb.

was in the Spanish deli in berry and stumbled across the suckling pig in a tin can that i have been wanting to try, heard about it from a restaurant in canberra, it’s a 2kg 3 or 4 week old suckling pig that has been confit in duck fat and packed into a tin can, it is from an Iberio pig, to cook it you open the tin can and let it simmer in hot water until the duck fat dissolves, then you take the piggy out and roast it for 30min to crisp it up. I didn’t buy it because the wife is still grossed out about it. At least I know where to buy it now though.

Comment

The bypass is superb.

was in the Spanish deli in berry and stumbled across the suckling pig in a tin can that i have been wanting to try, heard about it from a restaurant in canberra, it’s a 2kg 3 or 4 week old suckling pig that has been confit in duck fat and packed into a tin can, it is from an Iberio pig, to cook it you open the tin can and let it simmer in hot water until the duck fat dissolves, then you take the piggy out and roast it for 30min to crisp it up. I didn’t buy it because the wife is still grossed out about it. At least I know where to buy it now though.
            Lol, I can understand your wife being grossed out about it, it sounds quite bizzare and the same time so delicious too. I just noticed the Berry show is on Friday the 2nd Feb, I would have driven down for a look but have to work that day

Comment

• Going to a place called Grassy Goose tonight, it is in the middle of the bush basically in the middle of nowhere at Grassy Head, got good reviews so looking forward to it.

Comment

• I have t go through this thread and get some tips, I had a cracking feed on Saturday night at Kuki Tanuki in Erskineville......very well priced Japanese. They have the BEST chicken wings in the world! and killer good soft shell crab burgers in bao.
                " A man can only walk as far as he can see"

Comment

• Originally posted by SConcierge View Post
                  I have t go through this thread and get some tips, I had a cracking feed on Saturday night at Kuki Tanuki in Erskineville......very well priced Japanese. They have the BEST chicken wings in the world! and killer good soft shell crab burgers in bao.
                  Went to the Erko bowlo for the ham raffle last night then walked up towards Newtown for dinner afterwards, walked past Kiki Tanuki and checked out the menu, saw the chicken wings on the menu and it stated something like best chicken wings in the world lol, the blue cheese put me off a bit though, might check it out sometime, pretty solid crowd for a Sunday night there. Ended up going to Atom Thai in Newtown which is our regular go to Thai in Newtown, last night they had flash fried school prawns with kaffia lime leaves , chilli and galangal on their special board, they were so good that we ordered a second serve.

Comment

• Had lunch at the Jamie's Italian Restaurant in Pitt Street the other day. Very nice, and some of the prices were reasonable.
                    NER or Northern and Eastern Suburbs Rooster
                    (Bondi Express, Eastsport, Tickthebox, Outsidethesquare or BETO)

Every season since 1908, flying the flag, loud and proud
                    Go the mighty Tri-Colours, the envy of the league
                    Back to back
                    Easts to win

Comment

Went to the Erko bowlo for the ham raffle last night then walked up towards Newtown for dinner afterwards, walked past Kiki Tanuki and checked out the menu, saw the chicken wings on the menu and it stated something like best chicken wings in the world lol, the blue cheese put me off a bit though, might check it out sometime, pretty solid crowd for a Sunday night there. Ended up going to Atom Thai in Newtown which is our regular go to Thai in Newtown, last night they had flash fried school prawns with kaffia lime leaves , chilli and galangal on their special board, they were so good that we ordered a second serve.
                      those chicken wings mate are unbelievable and their soft shell crab burgers are amazing

Comment

• Originally posted by North_East_Rooster View Post
                        Had lunch at the Jamie's Italian Restaurant in Pitt Street the other day. Very nice, and some of the prices were reasonable.
                        I thought that closed down, I have been there afew times and its decent

Comment

• I recently had a work section lunch at Diethnes Greek Restaurant in Pitt Street, Sydney. I think it has been in business since around the 1950's. The food was wonderful, and it seemed to me to be very good value for money. I came out of there full, and can highly recommend it. Well worth the effort.
                          MRR or Rabid

Some people believe supporting the Roosters
                          is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed
                          with that attitude. I can assure you it is
                          much, much more important than that.

(1981 Bill Shankly quote variation)

Comment

• Originally posted by SConcierge View Post

I thought that closed down, I have been there afew times and its decent
                            You're not wrong. It was great. I wish I could have spent more time there than just one lunchtime!
                            NER or Northern and Eastern Suburbs Rooster
                            (Bondi Express, Eastsport, Tickthebox, Outsidethesquare or BETO)

Every season since 1908, flying the flag, loud and proud
                            Go the mighty Tri-Colours, the envy of the league
                            Back to back
                            Easts to win

Comment

• Spice Alley, Broadway has a few good eats.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dazza-da-linguist View Post
                                Spice Alley, Broadway has a few good eats.
                                Do they sell fairy floss at any of them?

Comment

Working...
                                X