Announcement

Collapse

Browse Ad-Free in Season 2020!

Support TheChookpen with a Premium Subscription and browse the forum AD-FREE. Click this link to purchase a subscription for the 2020 season! For more information about Premium Subscriptions, please click this link.
See more
See less

Tops feeds in Sydney

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by stsae View Post
    Horrie The Balkan is a great restaurant, that drink they hit you with, Slipovitz (I'm sure that's spelt wrongly) it's firewater but it washes the food down and gets you warm.



    Sea Bay Chinese Dumpling, 372 Pitt St Sydney. Lino tables looks like it's a dump but some of the best authentic dumplings style food I've ever eaten. Another place that does a roaring trade.

    There was and hopefully still is a Yum Cha restaurant in the Haymarket building (can't recall the name) that had the big fish tanks at the entrance. If you didn't arrive early you literally had to wait in a sea of people, it was very well known. It was a famous restaurant at night, seats hundreds. Best Yum Cha I've ever eaten, it was shown on a cooking program once overseas as the best Yum Cha outside of Asia.

    Redoak Boutique Beer Cafe, 201 Clarence Street Sydney. Great atmosphere and the tasting plates matching beers are brilliant. Definitely worth a run if you like your beer.

    Yeah mate, the Slivovist is like fire water, love it.
    Have heard good reports of Sea Bay dumplings but dont get into the city much to eat.Funny you mentioned Souths Juniors in your other post, i had to go and pick up some tickets there today so decided to check out the chinese there for yum cha, while there wasnt a huge variety what they had there was excellent, the flavours were beautiful, will go back again, the view from the 3rd floor is good.
    Besides the Golden Unicorn at Maroubra i go to Hung Cheung at Marrickville a lot,also sometimes go the Phoenix at Manly wharf, the yum cha there is good but sitting there by the windows looking at harbour just makes the experience complete.

    Comment


    • #17
      Big thumbs up on the Balkan seafood steaks its all good and good value, I have been eating there for 20+yrs.

      Forget what anyone says here about pies there is only one place to go and thats Patchetts pies Sarah St Mascot only open M-F 7-3pm, it is sort of near the domestic airport way.
      Let me tell you the place needs to be heritage listed its the bomb it is premium. I have tried them all it was a mission for yrs to find the best pie. Do your self a favour go there and get a real meat pie and a sausage roll.

      Hoh Won Chinese Restaurant, sounds good I might check it out
      " A man can only walk as far as he can see"

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by SConcierge View Post
        Know of a top feed in sydney from a killa hot dog a good kebab or fine dinning?


        I have been to a place called Tingha (asian food) at the Tigers leagues club at homebush opposite the markets. They do mud crab cooked in chilli sauce, XO, Ginger, salt and pepper and many other ways for only $17.60 per kilo, top value for money and a good feed. I dont know how they do it at that price.

        Fine dinning Bel Mondo at the rocks does a 2 course $55 or 3 course a la carte for $72 good value, good food beautiful setting (if u need to get in the good books with the misssus).

        Geeros/Kerbab Has to be brothers princess hwy, for the single ppl they have a good set up with a Hideaway next door and a pub across the road lol.

        Night out with the boys when you just want to fill up big time, you cant go past Big Johns Pizza at Sans Souci, they do a seafood plater for 4 its about $150 tried to polish it with 6 ppl and never got close on 3 occasions.
        The lick sip suck at the Cross best, best chilli and rabbit kebabs in town.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by SConcierge View Post
          Big thumbs up on the Balkan seafood steaks its all good and good value, I have been eating there for 20+yrs.

          Forget what anyone says here about pies there is only one place to go and thats Patchetts pies Sarah St Mascot only open M-F 7-3pm, it is sort of near the domestic airport way.
          Let me tell you the place needs to be heritage listed its the bomb it is premium. I have tried them all it was a mission for yrs to find the best pie. Do your self a favour go there and get a real meat pie and a sausage roll.

          Hoh Won Chinese Restaurant, sounds good I might check it out
          Thats interesting, i thought Patchettes pies was only a wholesale place at Mascot, didnt realise they had a cafe there, must check it out, i have seen the sign at O' Riordan St near the airport, have often seen their products in delis.I admit the best pie i have ever had is from Haydens Pies in Ulladulla, it was chicken, spring onion and sun dried tomato, it was just beautiful so everytime i go to Mollymook/Ulladulla i always call into Haydens, they have all sorts, had a lambs fry pie from there also which was yummy, ditto the goat pies.
          Just hope the Balkan is just as good when it re opens in Crown St.

          Comment


          • #20
            This place is interesting, recently opened in Alexandria on O'Riordan st, had a couple of nice lunches there but they now have a buffet breakfast on Saturdays which is nice. Grandmas Little Bakery.http://www.grandmasbakery.com.au/

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by horrie hastings View Post
              Thats interesting, i thought Patchettes pies was only a wholesale place at Mascot, didnt realise they had a cafe there, must check it out, i have seen the sign at O' Riordan St near the airport, have often seen their products in delis.I admit the best pie i have ever had is from Haydens Pies in Ulladulla, it was chicken, spring onion and sun dried tomato, it was just beautiful so everytime i go to Mollymook/Ulladulla i always call into Haydens, they have all sorts, had a lambs fry pie from there also which was yummy, ditto the goat pies.
              Just hope the Balkan is just as good when it re opens in Crown St.
              Do your self a favour go to mascot and get them fresh they have an outdoor area attached, its worth the trip
              " A man can only walk as far as he can see"

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by horrie hastings View Post
                This place is interesting, recently opened in Alexandria on O'Riordan st, had a couple of nice lunches there but they now have a buffet breakfast on Saturdays which is nice. Grandmas Little Bakery.http://www.grandmasbakery.com.au/
                thats near my place I love a good breakfast, so what is it like a buffet? the site says $20
                " A man can only walk as far as he can see"

                Comment


                • #23
                  The best cake shop in Sydney is in outer Sydney, it's in St Helen's Park. Outer Cambelltown.

                  The best pies, sausage rolls, custard tarts, custard rings, chocolate eclairs, finger buns, donuts & flavoured milk that you will ever have.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by SConcierge View Post
                    Know of a top feed in sydney from a killa hot dog a good kebab or fine dinning?


                    I have been to a place called Tingha (asian food) at the Tigers leagues club at homebush opposite the markets. They do mud crab cooked in chilli sauce, XO, Ginger, salt and pepper and many other ways for only $17.60 per kilo, top value for money and a good feed. I dont know how they do it at that price.

                    Fine dining Bel Mondo at the rocks does a 2 course $55 or 3 course a la carte for $72 good value, good food beautiful setting (if u need to get in the good books with the missus).


                    Geeros/Kerbab Has to be brothers princess hwy, for the single ppl they have a good set up with a Hideaway next door and a pub across the road lol.

                    Night out with the boys when you just want to fill up big time, you cant go past Big Johns Pizza at Sans Souci, they do a seafood plater for 4 its about $150 tried to polish it with 6 ppl and never got close on 3 occasions.
                    Love Bel Mondo, but it's for special occasions. As well as Rockpool and or Spice Temple.

                    For Italian, Moretti's at Leichhardt in Norton Street is brilliant, or Limoncello at Double Bay.

                    Thai is Limelight at Cremorne or Little Chilli at Peakhurst.

                    Not a big fan of Chinese, but if I do, it's either the Golden Century for chilli crab in Sussex Street, with heaps of bread to mop up the sauce. The place above the Fish markets, don't know what it's called is brilliant as well for crab, or Neptunes Palace at Circular Quay for the soft shell crab and wasabi beef. Yum Cha is Skygardens. I'm sure there are better places for Yum Cha but I like the mango pancakes there. The Malaya is pretty good too, but I've been there frequently for work lunches / dinners and am bit jaded towards it. The food is good though.

                    Kobe Jones for Japanese, absolutely love the volcano sushi. The best goyza are at Rengaya at North Sydney.

                    Looking for a new Indian place, as my preferred one closed down ... but the Banana Leaf in Racecourse rd, Singapore is my absolute favourite. Bit out of the way, but worth the trip if you're in town.

                    Love the new Greek place at Beverly Hills, for lamb, of course. Don't mind the Athenian in Martin Place either.

                    There's a fantastic little Vietnamese place at Marrickville called Trami for the pancake. The food is fantastic, the place is really rustic ... fold up chairs and tables. Cheap as, but very tasty.

                    Chophouse, Steersons for steaks and love the vibe of Hurricanes at Bondi for ribs.

                    Apart from that ... I don't eat out much ....

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by SConcierge View Post
                      thats near my place I love a good breakfast, so what is it like a buffet? the site says $20
                      Generous selection of homemade delicacies
                      •Enjoy the traditional Borekas pastry selection with: spinach & feta, Cheese Borekas & Bolognese roll,
                      •Fresh Dips selection: Tzaziki, Hummus, pesto, coriander mix and much more,
                      • Greek salad,
                      •Quinoa salad with dried tomato & Bococcini,
                      •Couscous salad,
                      •Shakshuka - Traditional eggs cooked with our popular tomato & capsicum base,
                      •EigĀ“a – traditional vegetables & herbs omelet,
                      •Cheese selection: Feta with olive oil and Zater, Ricotta with olives tapenade,
                      •Toasted bread with Fedra olive oil, pesto, tomatoes & basil,
                      •Pashtida- baked Frittata with Ricotta & spinach,
                      •Our farm extra virgin olive oil & olives selection,
                      •Scones served with cream & jam,
                      •Sweet pastries selection,
                      •Organic bread selection,
                      •And much more...


                      I just cut and pasted it from the site, basically what is listed plus a few others, the time i went they had a tuna and pasta or was it potato salad, it is all a strange but interesting mix for breakfast, i will probably go this Saturday, i dont eat a lot of jams but had scones with a cherry jam to finish off, the cherry jam was yummo.Tea or coffee are extra but you can just graze for a while and for around $25 you will be full until dinner time comes around

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Imadog View Post

                        Apart from that ... I don't eat out much ....
                        I like your style mate.

                        I didn't dig Hurricanes. Atmosphere was pumpin but im not into sweet BBQ sauce. Then again I'm hard to please when it comes to steak ribs etc, spent many years in butchers, I cook meat better than most, IMO of course.

                        For pies has anyone tried Whites Bakery 24 Arden St Clovelly??? It was always very good.

                        For seafood Vaucluse Ocean Foods, 669 Old South Head Rd Vaucluse. Not a restaurant and a little pricey but it's very very good quality.

                        There is a Thai place up here in The Tweed, SukkoThai. Food is great and I know the owner and can walk there, doesn't get much better.

                        Horrie get to Sea Bay, the food is great, you won't regret it. Same with you Concierge, Hoh Won is quality.


                        You've all given me some great new places to try, I usually leave Sydney 5 kegs heavier, next trip I'm gonna bust a buckle.

                        Last edited by stsae; 10-12-2012, 12:51 AM.


                        The FlogPen .

                        You know it makes sense.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          For a Chinese feed, the Golden Century at Sussex St is an old fav of mine.
                          And is open late..... everyday till 4am!

                          * Pippies in XO sauce with fried bread

                          * Chilli Crab

                          * Steamed Perch with ginger & shallots

                          Not cheap, service very hit and miss, but a great feed!

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by stsae View Post
                            Hoh Won Chinese Restaurant, 134 Anzac Pde Kensington. Great Chinese meal outside China Town, BYO there's a bottles Shop just down the road where a good Rooster man works, wear your colours.

                            I hit Hon Won last night with the missus she wasnt impressed but I thought it was great, as soon as I saw the vynal chairs I got a good feeling LOL. Gee it packs out, I got beef in XO sauce with crispy noodles thumbs up. Four dishes $37 oh yeah, I told the missus I am happy to bring her every week but I got a dirty look I think I might be going with the boys... anyway its a good tip, good food and cheap
                            " A man can only walk as far as he can see"

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by SConcierge View Post
                              thats near my place I love a good breakfast, so what is it like a buffet? the site says $20
                              Went here yesterday for the buffet breakfast and left so full that when i met friends out for dinner at 6pm i still wasnt hungry.They had cabbage rolls, bologanaise frittas and pumpkin pizza beside most of the stuff listed, i filled up on a beautiful smoky eggplant dip.Definately good value for $20.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by horrie hastings View Post
                                Went here yesterday for the buffet breakfast and left so full that when i met friends out for dinner at 6pm i still wasnt hungry.They had cabbage rolls, bologanaise frittas and pumpkin pizza beside most of the stuff listed, i filled up on a beautiful smoky eggplant dip.Definately good value for $20.
                                I am def checking it out mate in two weeks, I was going to hit it yesterday too but we ran out of time. I love breaky its my fav meal of the day #1 for me is eggs anything but especially eggss benedict ooooooooo mmmmm aaaaa lol. Mate check out that Patches pies and their sausage rolls u sound local but its on Mon-Fri closes at 3
                                " A man can only walk as far as he can see"

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X