Our forwards are bludgers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our forwards are bludgers

What is it with our forwards, only one of them if that makes over 100 metres a game, why?,in last weeks game and again today I witnessed an entire set of tackles go pass without our forwards taking a run, if your lucky one might have a run on the fifth.
    And now we have this Stupid tactic of Sam Perret taking a tap restart after a penalty, that will hardly strike fear in the oposition team, come on forwards have a dig,

Most them are bludgers and cream puffs.

Brian smith is doing a great job addressing the problems

Comment

I think our game plan allows them to be bludgers. Isn't it obvious that our plan is for our backs to do most of the running? I posted the stats from last week in another thread. They read something like our back 5 doing 69 runs at 550m, with our 10 forwards doing 77 runs at 660m.

I had a quick look at the stats today something roughly around back 5 doing 73 runs (metres ?) and 10 forwards doing 77. Too disheartened to look at metres. Our backs are slow cause they are stuffed I would suggest.

Comment

Most of our forwards don't have the size required to be genuine metre eaters. Kennedy and Masoe absolutely, but I think the rest of our forwards aren't suited to the hard slog in the middle. JWH is a backrower. Tasi is too small to make those big metres. Cordner and Aubusson are fabulous on the edge. Guerra is much the same. To me, our forward pack dictates our style of play - a couple of big boppers up the middle helped out by our wingers, then shift the ball wide to find Aubusson, Cordner and co to link up with the backs. I think our team will be complete when we:
        • Find a replacement fullback who can break the line and has great support play
        • Find a creative half to ease the pressure on Pearce - let him organise where the forwards run, not create tries.
        • Fully develop Kane Evans into the final piece of the big bopper puzzle.
        • Sign that star quality player that we seem to be missing.
        • Get Moga settled into first grade (and dominating).

Comment

No problem with size.

No problem with bending the line.

Big problem with Smith's game plan.

The following is our set of six.

1. Perrett takes a hit-up - makes initial metres, but gets dominated and turned on his back. Defence regroups.

2. Mini crabs sideways, gets dominated and out-wrestled. Defensive line is set, ready to move up.

3. One of our props get the ball with the defensive line in their face - limited metres.

4. Depending on the speed of the play the ball, the above repeats with a chance of an extra 2 metres at best. Otherwise we play laterally against a set line which shuts us down.

5. Typical mid-field bomb for the sake of bombing with no real chase.

I think after 2+ seasons, other coaches have figured out the gameplan.

We can all see what Tasi/Masoe/Kennedy/JWH can do off a quick play the ball. The problem is that most of the time they don't get that luxury due to our backs being outwrestled.

There is definately a place for backs to help out with the metre game, but we are so predictable. On top of that they are trying to do it against set markers.

Perret's 100+ metres mean jack when he puts us on the back foot each set.

Comment

Originally posted by BigMike View Post
            No problem with size.

1. Perrett takes a hit-up - makes initial metres, but gets dominated and turned on his back. Defence regroups.

2. Mini crabs sideways, gets dominated and out-wrestled. Defensive line is set, ready to move up.

3. One of our props get the ball with the defensive line in their face - limited metres.

4. Depending on the speed of the play the ball, the above repeats with a chance of an extra 2 metres at best. Otherwise we play laterally against a set line which shuts us down.

We can all see what Tasi/Masoe/Kennedy/JWH can do off a quick play the ball. The problem is that most of the time they don't get that luxury due to our backs being outwrestled.

There is definately a place for backs to help out with the metre game, but we are so predictable. On top of that they are trying to do it against set markers.

I like it.

Comment

How do you explain Kennedy, Myles & Ryles all averaging over 100m last season then BigMike?

As much as it's an obvious game plan to use our wingers to make a lot of metres it's surely just as obvious that our forward pack aren't up to it this year and the the runs are there if they want them as Kennedy showed with 16 runs for 133 metres in 40 minutes today. Combined JWH & Tasi just made 16 runs for 122 metres in 80 minutes.

Again you overrate our forward pack and seem to judge them on their potential not on what they've proven.

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster_6 View Post
                How do you explain Kennedy, Myles & Ryles all averaging over 100m last season then BigMike?

As much as it's an obvious game plan to use our wingers to make a lot of metres it's surely just as obvious that our forward pack aren't up to it this year and the the runs are there if they want them as Kennedy showed with 16 runs for 133 metres in 40 minutes today. Combined JWH & Tasi just made 16 runs for 122 metres in 80 minutes.

Again you overrate our forward pack and seem to judge them on their potential not on what they've proven.

It's not as simple as noting that a player made over/under 100 metres. It's the quality of the hit-up. I value bending the line + quick play of the ball a whole lot more than just pure metres.

There were many instances last year when Myles/Ryles took 12+ hit-ups and failed to make 100 metres. Especially Myles who got dominated in every tackle. Great work-rate. Poor quality.

I think you will find that MK's metres are a little inflated today because a few times he found himself free in broken play.

There were plenty of times today, where we had our props ready to hit it up, yet the ball found itself in the backline. Whether it is Pearce's fault(organiser) or Smith, i wouldn't know. It seems like the only time they like to go to our props is on face-balls close to the line.

Nobody is questioning that our props are not green, but they are big, powerfull and enthusiastic and we should use that energy to march upfield instead of watching yet another monotonous dummy half run from our backs.

PS, i think you will find that i was against Ryles leaving as i thought he would be a great leader to our young props.

Comment

Watching the replay, i am amazed how many times we ran our props in their 10. I understand taking a settler to center the attack, but there were so many useless runs which amounted to minimal gain.

Comment

No problem with size.

I would have gone with:-
                    1) Perret takes dummy half sortie
                    2) One of our forwards fumbles ball
                    ..end set

Comment

Originally posted by stevo View Post
                      What is it with our forwards, only one of them if that makes over 100 metres a game, why?,in last weeks game and again today I witnessed an entire set of tackles go pass without our forwards taking a run, if your lucky one might have a run on the fifth.
                      And now we have this Stupid tactic of Sam Perret taking a tap restart after a penalty, that will hardly strike fear in the oposition team, come on forwards have a dig,
                      Notice that, whenever other teams take a tap restart they're allowed to run up quickly to the mark, the ref blows the restart whistle before the player tapping gets to the mark and the team keeps running...
                      ...and how when we go to do that the refs make us wait on the mark until the other team is back onside and their defence set?

Time Smith started speaking in outrage at the refs...now is the time!
                      ...not at the end of the season like he and Anasta did last year.

Comment

No problem with size.

This is pretty much bang on, also factor in that it's all one out running with NO SUPPORT PLAY which makes it very easy for the defensive line to read and focus on throwing in numbers to the tackle. It's very very ordinary coaching, every forward pack should be playing the way Des has the Dogs pack playing - in numbers at the line, there's no excuse for this one out predictable junk.

Comment

Watching the replay, i am amazed how many times we ran our props in their 10. I understand taking a settler to center the attack, but there were so many useless runs which amounted to minimal gain.
                          And when the time came for the big run at the line to score, a light back rower was used.

Jack Gibson, yes times have changed, used to start the game with all his biggest forwards, and have them run onto the ball at pace as they charged up the middle of the field, or on the fringes sometimes...that's running onto the ball at pace.
                          ...in the first half.
                          Then he'd bring on his 'running backrowers' in the second half after his big forwards had trampled the oppposition.

Jack wins! many times.

Yesterday our starting forwards were 'walking' in the heat and were replaced too late.

We need some "Knock em down, drag em out" [legally]forwards in the old style.
                          Props need to go forward, hurting opposition players who try to tackle them.

It was just a training run for the Panthers yesterday...tackling Perrett all day.

Zero points scored yesterday...a meek and mild 'surrender'.

Time to 'bash' the Raiders (legally of course...NO lifting tackles please )
                          Last edited by bondi-boy; 03-12-2012, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Hows your good mate Carney going at the gummies bondi?

Comment

Originally posted by elo View Post
                              This is pretty much bang on, also factor in that it's all one out running with NO SUPPORT PLAY which makes it very easy for the defensive line to read and focus on throwing in numbers to the tackle. It's very very ordinary coaching, every forward pack should be playing the way Des has the Dogs pack playing - in numbers at the line, there's no excuse for this one out predictable junk.
                              Exactly correct.

So why isn't it happening at our club?
                              Why aren't our two coaches coaching our team like that?

Why can't they watch the video and see that?

Bulldogs have won both their games.
                              Manly won last year...why aren't our coaches copying Hasler's style?

Comment

Working...
                              X