2022 Roosters NRL Season Lineup & Predictions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mickie Lane View Post

Artie had more skill but was not the fittest bloke where as JWH is much much much more fitter & plays a heaps more physical style game.
    I saw Artie play when I was young, I even have his autograph but if I had to pick between them in the current format of the game I would go JWH.
    I dont remember Artie being as physical as JWH. When Artie played they tackled around the legs & there was no structured defence. The game was dirtier back in the day but it wasnt as fast & brutal as it is now.
    No Artie is perfect for this six again shit...10m rule..he would have a field day with it... ..he was mobile and powerful and skillful...he didnt look like he was fit but he had natural stamina....Artie laid out a hell of a lot of blokes..god love him.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Comment

Originally posted by Headless Chook View Post

How old are you Mickie? I'm a 67 drop and saw Artie at the back end of his career. He could mix it up when he wanted too and would certainly have gone toe to toe with JWH if required. The surprising thing with Artie was actually his speed off the mark. Watch some of the highlights from 75 and you will see times where he left defenders grasping off a standing start. I think back to the first ever SOO game and he went after the NSW pack physically that night. He could intimidate if he needed to
      Im 55 12/66. I was 8 & at the 75 GF headless but at 8 you can easily be distracted at a GF with 60 odd thousand people so I didnt particularly watch Artie but my dad loved him, I liked Johnny Mayes because I played half back.
      Dont get me wrong I fully rate Artie & as I said he had more skill than JWH & yes he could hurt opposition players legally & illegally when he was playing but JWH is a true WARRIOR & has been for over 10 years. His contact per game compared to Artie would be at least 3 times more, JWH is a dead set machine who plays the game on the edge, I love him & I love Artie too. They're both champions.

Comment

Originally posted by The Brain View Post

No Artie is perfect for this six again shit...10m rule..he would have a field day with it... ..he was mobile and powerful and skillful...he didnt look like he was fit but he had natural stamina....Artie laid out a hell of a lot of blokes..god love him.
        They're both CHAMPIONS.

Comment

I was running alongside Artie Beetson one day at pre season training More Park 72 before i went back to Moresby , we were pretty much back of the pack after a while he turned and said to me. you wont make first grade running back here with me young fella.I respectfully fired back maybe so but I reckon ill beat you around here . Good guy beetson looked after the young guys, Greg Bandiera was a good bloke too. That SFS dressing shed was pretty average, if you didn't get into the shower quick you had a cold one. Don't think the boys have to worry about that in the new joint.

Comment

Originally posted by mattyh View Post
            i love jwh because he is a grub and a bully.

despite the protests of some on here he is a grub.

he is the kind of guy most oppossing players say " oh fark, were playing that carnt next" .

i do think some of the real nrl tough guys ie gall, s burgess , jwh , cords, jfh love the conflict and maybe getting hurt and returning in kind....
            You need grubs to win a comp. Who wants a bunch of nice guys playing in the forwards. No disrespect to Aubo.

Comment

Originally posted by kakaruk View Post
              I was running alongside Artie Beetson one day at pre season training More Park 72 before i went back to Moresby , we were pretty much back of the pack after a while he turned and said to me. you wont make first grade running back here with me young fella.I respectfully fired back maybe so but I reckon ill beat you around here . Good guy beetson looked after the young guys, Greg Bandiera was a good bloke too. That SFS dressing shed was pretty average, if you didn't get into the shower quick you had a cold one. Don't think the boys have to worry about that in the new joint.
              Great story kakaruk, I reckon Artie would have hated anything over 100 metres.

Comment

1. James Tedesco (c)
                2. Daniel Tupou
                3. Joseph Suaalii
                4. Paul Momirovski
                5. Joseph Manu
                6. Luke Keary
                7. Sam Walker
                8. Jared Waerea-Hargreaves
                9. Sam Verrills
                10. Lindsay Collins
                11. Angus Crichton
                12. Sitili Tupouniua
                13. Victor Radley

14. Connor Watson
                15. Siosiua Taukeiaho
                16. Nat Butcher
                17. Egan Butcher

A great overall squad, and one that should realistically make the top four. The experience gained from the youngsters last season will be invaluable, as arguably 99% if not all the top 30 have experienced NRL football at some capacity.

The backline has plenty of strike and experience, it's just a matter of how it's structured. Teddy, Toops, Manu and Momirovski essentially have four of the five positions locked up, so it's up to Joseph Suaalii, Billy Smith, Adam Keighran and Kevin Naiqama to fight for the last spot.

Controversial, but I've thrown Manu on the wing - I feel like he was more involved and more dangerous there at the back end of the season when injuries forced reshuffles. The more times he got the ball in his hands the more opportunities he had to challenge the defence. I've got Suaalii edging out the others for the last spot, and playing inside the experienced Toops couldn't hurt at all. Momirovski takes the other centre spot.

Halves are fairly self-explanatory, but Luke Keary and Sam Walker are a dream combination. Drew Hutchison put in an awesome effort last season at five-eighth but logically you'd have to go with the experience of Keary and the excitement of Walker. With Watson in the side, I don't think the side could afford to have Walker on the bench.

JWH and Collins head the front row for mine. Jared was solid off the bench at the beginning of last season but he proved that he is the pack's cornerstone. Collins may need time to get back after the ACL but I'm confident he's the next-best prop in the side.

Back row of Crichton, Tupouniua and Radley is self-explanatory, although I think Sitili will have plenty of pressure from the Butcher bros and Naufahu Whyte, while Victor will have his own competition with the incoming Watson who proved to be dangerous at 13 while at Newcastle.

Speaking of which, Connor is the obvious choice as the bench utility, able to play anywhere on the field probably minus the wing, but with experience everywhere else he really fills in that utility role perfectly. Siua had his fair share of niggling injuries in 2021, and I think JWH and Collins just pip him, but he's has great impact whether starting or on the bench.

The Butcher brothers are my final bench members, contrasting styles but both very effective in the middle of the field. Nat brings the workload and Egan brings in the punch. A great combination to watch.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Realistically this side should make the top four, and will certainly challenge for the Minor Premiership if injuries are kind. Up there with Melbourne and Penrith, the Roosters have every reason to claim Premiership no.16 in 2022.

Comment

artie was probably the most skilful forward ever. he could do the rough stuff but he had the ball playing of the best half backs. it was a different game back then and very hard to compare players from different eras.
                  as great a career as jwh has had his season last year might have been his best. i reckon he was the reason why we didn't fold despite all the injuries. the guy was all heart.

Comment

Originally posted by kakaruk View Post
                    He was simply a great bloke and accommodating to all..met a few foootballers in my time ...none better than him and put peardy next to him=heaps of laughs ..plus he actually did take 6 spare pies off me at Henson and scoffed them down like there was no tomorrow...hahahha
                    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Comment

• I predict that the new rule change - penalising defensive teams in their opposition half rather than calling 6 again - will be used as a way of giving underperforming teams a leg up and to reduce the number of blow out scorelines.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spirit of 66 View Post
                        I predict that the new rule change - penalising defensive teams in their opposition half rather than calling 6 again - will be used as a way of giving underperforming teams a leg up and to reduce the number of blow out scorelines.
                        Are piggy backs easier to defend than six agains?

I know Souffs won in 2014 on the back of piggy backs!

Born and bred in the eastern suburbs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Johnny Brass View Post

Great story kakaruk, I reckon Artie would have hated anything over 100 metres.
                          So did I....I remember been 18 playing in the group 6 comp our coach killed us with road runs so I worked it out ..My Mate "pommy" had a motorbike we would k it near the start of the run..jump on get off a 100m before the finish line..one day I said to the coach since I finished first...too easy coachI could run another 10k...lol so he farken sent me on another run ..hahhaha no bike this time.

Comment

• Round 1

1. James Tedesco (c)
                            2. Daniel Tupou
                            3. Momo
                            4. Manu
                            5. Kevin Naiqama
                            6. Hutchison
                            7. Keary

9. Marschke
                            10. Lindsay Collins
                            11. Angus Crichton
                            12. Sitili Tupouniua
                            13. Victor Radley

14. Connor Watson
                            15. Siosiua Taukeiaho
                            16. Nat Butcher
                            17. Egan Butcher

For my 2 bobs worth....

Comment

• Originally posted by Kelby View Post
                              Round 1

1. James Tedesco (c)
                              2. Daniel Tupou
                              3. Momo
                              4. Manu
                              5. Kevin Naiqama
                              6. Hutchison
                              7. Keary

9. Marschke
                              10. Lindsay Collins
                              11. Angus Crichton
                              12. Sitili Tupouniua
                              13. Victor Radley

14. Connor Watson
                              15. Siosiua Taukeiaho
                              16. Nat Butcher
                              17. Egan Butcher

For my 2 bobs worth....
                              Im pretty sure Sam Walker will be the starting 7 other than that I dont think you will be far off.
                              If B Smith is fully fit I would have him & Momo in the centres with Toups, Manu & Teddy making up the back 3.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mickie Lane View Post

Im pretty sure Sam Walker will be the starting 7 other than that I dont think you will be far off.
                                If B Smith is fully fit I would have him & Momo in the centres with Toups, Manu & Teddy making up the back 3.
                                Only if he has suddenly learnt how to tackle in the off-season. He was well exposed last year.

I think Manu would consider a move to the wing as a demotion. He’s great there cause he gets more involved but moving from centre to wing is a bit like trading in the Porsche for a Mazda.

Comment

Working...
                                X