Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dinner at Trent Robinson’s house could decide future of Brandon Smith

In tomorrow's DT

Off-contract Kiwi star Brandon Smith will have dinner with Trent Robinson at his eastern suburbs home this week as the Roosters make a last-ditch attempt to beat Wayne Bennett in the race to woo the in-demand dummy half away from the Melbourne Storm.

It comes as Smith’s agent Stan Martin revealed that he was hoping his star client would make a call on his future soon after his guided tour through the Roosters’ headquarters in the coming days.

The face-to-face with Robinson will be the final stopover on a high profile trip down the eastern seaboard that also included visits with the Dolphins, Titans and Cowboys, who all tabled offers over the past fortnight.

It is understood at this point Robinson’s Roosters are the biggest threat to Bennett’s Dolphins, who are shaping up as the dominant force in this battle for one of the game’s most sought-after signatures, especially given Smith’s desire to continue playing hooker and Harry Grant’s ongoing presence at the Storm.

Bennett makes no secret of his keenness to sign the nuggety New Zealander as one of his marquee men at the NRL’s newest franchise, and the Dolphins seem pretty confident they will get their man.

But the fact is that when it comes to rugby league recruitment, no one does it better than Roosters supremo Nick Politis, who has a track record of getting what he wants, with superstars Sonny Bill Williams and Cooper Cronk among his former high profile targets.

However, Martin said Smith was not scheduled to meet with Politis this week, who was expected to be away on business.

But Robinson is also known to drive a very compelling argument when it comes to selling his vision for the Roosters.

“Trent has organised with Brandon, or is going to organise, to have dinner at his place,” Martin said on Sunday.

“He has got about a week in Sydney before he heads down to Melbourne.

“He will make a decision then I would hope. We might have to talk to Melbourne before we close off but I am hoping it is not too far into the distant future. Maybe two or three weeks I’m hoping.”

Martin is convinced Smith’s best position is dummy half, and that is where he should continue playing.

“He is the Dally M hooker of the year,” he said.

“It is not better for Brandon (playing out of position behind Grant).

“I don’t know if you remember but about a year ago we said that Brandon is a hooker.

“That is what we wanted.

“We always wanted that, never wavered off that.”

But he said continuing to play hooker at the Storm would be highly unlikely given Grant’s presence until at least the end of 2023.

“I don’t see that happening. They have got Harry, haven’t they?” Martin added.

Martin also conceded how Smith thought he might handle living in Sydney could factor into his final decision, with his parents currently living in Brisbane.

“There are lots of things going around in his head,” he continued.

“Monetary side of things is important. Being a leader is important.

“Building a legacy, which he won’t do at Storm because the legacy is Cameron Smith’s.

“All of those things are obvious issues. He will have visited all four clubs by the time this is over.

“I have a preference, but at the end of the day, he will have a preference and we will have a chat. We will have a Zoom conference and we will hopefully come to a club that we can agree to.”

> “He is the Dally M hooker of the year,” he said.

> “It is not better for Brandon (playing out of position behind Grant).

Good to see his manager confirming my thoughts. Dally M hooker doing all the work while Golden Boy Grant takes all the credit. Something has to give and I think the Drizz have made it clear who their long-term hero is.

Now either Brandon wants a few extra bucks to play under a frail old codger who's just been divorced by his wife for unfaithfulness (while she was looking after 2 kids with disabilities)... or he wants to sign-up as part of a dynasty, alongside the likes of Teddy, Manu, Keary, Walker, JWH, Crichton, Suaalii...etc (with B-Moz, Cords, Ryles, Friend...etc helping out with the coaching long-term).

Wouldn't personally trust Wayne with anything, unless I were Darius Boyd (and that ship sailed long ago... the footy playing son he wishes he had!)
    Last edited by ism22; 11-22-2021, 07:32 AM.

Comment

I can't see him not signing with us

Comment

Originally posted by Easts75 View Post
        I can't see him not signing with us
        I can.

I really hope you are right.

We need more superstars. The side we run out this season is a poor imitation of our premiership sides. Not saying they can't win the comp but there are fewer superstars.

Comment

We need a hooker! We have just lost Jake friend. We need a premiership winning hooker.

Comment

Doesn't look good for Sammy.

Comment

Originally posted by Fourteen View Post
              We need a hooker! We have just lost Jake friend. We need a premiership winning hooker.
              Sam was looking the goods until he did his knee.

Comment

The headline in the Telegraph is "inside the Roosters' plot" to get Smith. Why are the Roosters activities in the player market always described as "plots"? Other teams have "plans" or "recruitment strategies", but for some reason there is always something evil about the Roosters' activities in the player market.

Comment

I hope Sammy proves everyone wrong next season. I think he has the goods. Don’t expect Luke and Lindsay to hit the ground running coming back from ACL injuries. Sammy will be better for us in 2022. I am confident of that. I don’t have such a short memory. I remember 2019 clearly. He was our hooker for most of the year with Friend out injured for months. He scored the first try in the GF and played a huge part in us getting there. He will come good. I have a lot of confidence in him.

Comment

Originally posted by Spirit of 66 View Post
                    The headline in the Telegraph is "inside the Roosters' plot" to get Smith. Why are the Roosters activities in the player market always described as "plots"? Other teams have "plans" or "recruitment strategies", but for some reason there is always something evil about the Roosters' activities in the player market.
                    It’s just part of the media’s ‘pantomime’ of rugby league. The Roosters are the rich and evil baddies that you have to boo when you see them.

The Roosters also ‘poach’ new players whilst other teams ‘scoop’ them. It’s just what the audience want to read or hear.

Comment

Trent better get the bag man in. Warm up a plate.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Tobin View Post

Sam was looking the goods until he did his knee.
                        I think his eye is playing a part too, his best quality was his service. Added a 10% bonus to the rest of the team getting the ball at the right time in the right place.

I imagine vision troubles hinder that.

Comment

I would be happy just like everyone else if we sign him. I can't help but think it is amazing how fast his cocaine scandal has been forgotten though.

Comment

Originally posted by roostersrule2 View Post
                            I think his eye is playing a part too, his best quality was his service. Added a 10% bonus to the rest of the team getting the ball at the right time in the right place.

I imagine vision troubles hinder that.
                            With the eye an the knee issues make sense to buy smith! Our other hookers are still developing

Comment

Originally posted by Bansai Pipeline View Post
                              Trent better get the bag man in. Warm up a plate.
                              Bahahaha

Comment

Working...
                              X