Souths feeding Mitchell's "I am the victim" bullshit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Souths feeding Mitchell's "I am the victim" bullshit

South Sydney are on a collision course with the NRL over what the Rabbitohs see as the exploitation of their star Latrell Mitchell.

The Rabbitohs have been privately seething for months about the NRL’s approach to Mitchell. There have been a number of flashpoints, but it peaked at when NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo was asked about the scheduling of Souths’ match against Sydney Roosters.

Abdo did little to hide his delight at the timing of the game, which is scheduled for round three when Mitchell returns from a ban for his hit on Joey Manu.

The smile on Abdo’s face when he delivered the news was what irked Souths as much as the scheduling of the match.

The clash between Manu and Mitchell was one of the most dramatic on-field moments of the year, one that still divides the two clubs – and fans. Mitchell missed the Rabbitohs’ run to the grand final and will sit out the first two games of 2022 after he pleaded guilty to a grade-two reckless high tackle for the hit that left Manu with a fractured eye socket.

Souths claim there has been no real consideration given to Mitchell in the scheduling of the rematch – quite the opposite – and that he is being exploited.

Souths chief executive Blake Solly chose his words carefully.

“The NRL are quick to utilise Latrell and his profile to market the competition or ask him to take a leadership position on issues such as vaccination – when it benefits them,” he said. “It would be more impressive if they were as quick to protect and defend him from some of the outrageous personal criticism and abuse he receives at other times.”

Solly and the Rabbitohs were privately seething at the game’s bosses – Abdo in particular, who said Mitchell should have been sent off – for the way they reacted to the incident. That the NRL publicly criticised the match officials prior to Mitchell’s case being concluded annoyed Souths, but they bit their tongue.

The last comment Solly made about racist attacks on Mitchell is a direct reference to a real sore point at Souths that has lingered for two years. It relates to a story first raised in this column when Mitchell was asked to wear an Indigenous flag in the return of the Simply The Best ad campaign, without prior consultation with Souths or Mitchell. The Souths star posing draped in the flag became a focal point of the heavily criticised commercial and Mitchell was left to handle the fallout.

“I certainly didn’t mean any disrespect by smiling or my comments,” Abdo said. “The draw throws up lots of situations and we don’t focus on one individual. I was smiling because it wasn’t something that was planned for or I had thought about.

Meh... I predict Souffs will s*ck and we'll finally run them through after a few quiet years.

Comment

It's enough to get you to run off and illegally use firearms while pissed, I tell you.

Comment

When you have Latrell at your club then you have to expect all the who har that comes with him.
        Its just Latrell & his destiny of being a big name NRL player that will always be in the media for things like Aboriginal rights, racism, social media bullying

Comment

Can't reconcile rothfields comment about bennets comments being "fair enough" about robbo having "a few players of his own" following latrells recklessness on Joey.

Can someone remind me of any current player that caused as much damage as latrell did to Manu?

Radley and JWH are our lunatics, but can't remember them rearranging someone's face?

Comment

I do think it's on the nose that the NRL would schedule the re-match on Latrell's return from suspension.

They're capitalising on foul play.

Like all those highlight packages featuring hits players do serious time for.

Comment

Originally posted by Bansai Pipeline View Post
              I do think it's on the nose that the NRL would schedule the re-match on Latrell's return from suspension.

They're capitalising on foul play.

Like all those highlight packages featuring hits players do serious time for.
              How? That's the week he's due back from his suspension. He has to play against someone. Why not make it against the biggest rival?

Comment

Well they'll use the hype around his illegal tackle - if you can call it that - to hype the game. 100% they will. That's profiting off foul play.

The NRL can be amateurish.

Comment

Originally posted by Bansai Pipeline View Post
                  Well they'll use the hype around his illegal tackle - if you can call it that - to hype the game. 100% they will. That's profiting off foul play.

The NRL can be amateurish.

I doubt they will use footage of Mitchells blatant foul play to promote the game. That would be wrong and stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by NorfolkStreetKid View Post

I doubt they will use footage of Mitchells blatant foul play to promote the game. That would be wrong and stupid.
                    I don’t , that’s just up the NRLs cul-de-sac to do something like that …and you just know FUXLeague will have the fkn hit on loop all that week

Comment

I don't believe for a second that the NRL didn't deliberately schedule this clash with Latrine's return in mind. Its all about the hard hitting promos.

IMO the NRL should always have the Easts vs Souffs game in round 1. That would've avoided the above situation. I know it hasn't happened for a couple of seasons now, but it should return. And numerous non Easts/Souffs fans I know agree that the two foundation clubs should kick off the season.

Comment

Instead of trying to paint Latrine as the victim in all this, maybe Souffs could try holding him accountable for his "I'm bigger than the game" attitude. His ego is the cause of all the dumb sh^t he as done and will continue to do.
                        Alas what am I talking about its Souffs Sydney.... the same club that allowed GI and Burgarse to get away with bringing the game down time after time and would attempt to cover it up.
                        Last edited by SupermanSupportsEasts4Eva; 11-18-2021, 08:51 AM.

Comment

I really don’t understand why Souths are having a winge about this game. It will be their home game. Big crowd expected. They will make a bundle from the gate takings. So why carry on about it?

Comment

Originally posted by SupermanSupportsEasts4Eva View Post
                            Instead of trying to paint Latrine as the victim in all this, maybe Souffs could try holding him accountable for his "I'm bigger than the game" attitude. His ego is the cause of all the dumb sh^t he as done and will continue to do.
                            Alas what am I talking about its Souffs Sydney.... the same club that allowed GI and Burgarse to get away with bringing the game down time after time and would attempt to cover it up.
                            If they do that he starts carrying on like a baby and wants to leave.

Comment

Farkin whining soft cock$ playing the victim card.

Look out for Mrs Karma Latrell!

Comment

Working...
                              X