Positions next year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Positions next year

I was just thinking about our recent signings and the resigning of manu. Walker going into next year may still not be big enough to assume an 80 minute role, and we’ve promised manu a bigger role. Do any of u think it’s possible that at least for the first few rounds manu will be the 5/8, Watson at centre and walker off the bench for more a 40/50 minute game. Feel free to destroy me if u feel I’m talking out of my ass

You might actually be onto something mun.

They may play Mom and Suaali in the centres for the first few rounds with ManU at 5/8th and Walker on the bench.
    Exonerate the West Memphis Three - www.wm3.org

Comment

Watson at centre thats interesting.

I think if everyone is fit the backline to start will be
      Teddy
      Toups
      Momorovski
      Manu
      Smith/Suaalii
      Keary
      Walker

Watson at 14

Comment

No and for a few reasons.

1) I don't believe Robinson is the type of coach to make promises about positions to players. From everything I've ever heard and read about his management style he will open up doors and opportunities for you but it's up to you to go and grab that position, nothing is handed on a platter.

2) If Robinson thought Joey Manu was a good enough 5/8 he would've played him there last year but instead he continued to pick Hutchinson and Lam ahead of him. So if he doesn't think Walker is ready logic would suggest that Hutchinson would be next choice.

3) There's been no action within in our squad to suggest we're about to convert an outside back into a half. Yes we've signed Momorovski, but we've lost Josh Morris, Brett Morris & now Matt Ikuavlu. 1 in and 3 out doesn't speak to a club who's about to further deplete outside back options to convert one into a half.

4) The myth about Sam Walker not being ready to play a full season is just that it's a myth. Last year as an 18 year old from the minute he made his debut he played 1,427 minutes out of a possible 1,840 minutes. That's nearly 80% of available minutes, people are talking about him as if he crumbled like a 1 ply sheet of toilet paper. He showed a lot last season, none more so than some real ticker and an ability to play through injury. All as an 18yo.

5) Sam Walker is special. His partnership with Luke Keary is seriously exciting for any Rugby League lover and Robinson is just that. Don't even listen, just watch the way he talks about Sam Walker.

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster_6 View Post

1) I don't believe Robinson is the type of coach to make promises about positions to players. From everything I've ever heard and read about his management style he will open up doors and opportunities for you but it's up to you to go and grab that position, nothing is handed on a platter.

2) If Robinson thought Joey Manu was a good enough 5/8 he would've played him there last year but instead he continued to pick Hutchinson and Lam ahead of him. So if he doesn't think Walker is ready logic would suggest that Hutchinson would be next choice.

3) There's been no action within in our squad to suggest we're about to convert an outside back into a half. Yes we've signed Momorovski, but we've lost Josh Morris, Brett Morris & now Matt Ikuavlu. 1 in and 3 out doesn't speak to a club who's about to further deplete outside back options to convert one into a half.

4) The myth about Sam Walker not being ready to play a full season is just that it's a myth. Last year as an 18 year old from the minute he made his debut he played 1,427 minutes out of a possible 1,840 minutes. That's nearly 80% of available minutes, people are talking about him as if he crumbled like a 1 ply sheet of toilet paper. He showed a lot last season, none more so than some real ticker and an ability to play through injury. All as an 18yo.

5) Sam Walker is special. His partnership with Luke Keary is seriously exciting for any Rugby League lover and Robinson is just that. Don't even listen, just watch the way he talks about Sam Walker.
          Agreed. Last season Walker did just fine while partnered by Hutcho. This season he'll be partnered by an international grade half (who I presume will take the lead role... remember all those words about Keary seizing the responsibility of being #7...etc? He'll take a LOT of pressure off Walker and build an awesome combo).

Manu hasn't officially re-signed has he? Given it's more than likely he will... I think he'll play as centre (Dally M was a 'centre' - it's not a bad jersey for a Rooster to wear). Robbo's indicated he'll have more responsibility and I reckon an $800k contract speaks for itself in terms of expectations.

Watson's role will be interesting. I reckon he'll be #9 in round 1 (with Verrills suspended). From there, who knows? I think he's our #14, with Lam (assuming he stays), Hutcho and Keighran playing for the Bears. As last season showed, our 2nd and 3rd tier players are still VERY good! It's a tough team to make it in.

Comment

what sort of percentage does his manager of his salary? just put of interest?

Comment

I think Hutchison will start the year at 5/8th. Keary might not even be ready for round one, wait and see how the rehab/preseason goes.
              Last edited by RoosterBooster; 11-13-2021, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Keary and walker need to play every game beside each other building their combinations .Its exciting for the club the superstar 5/8 and the most exciting young half in the game they will terrorize the other clubs when they click, I cant wait to see it, bring on the season,

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster_6 View Post

Don’t get me wrong, I love walker. I think he was fantastic last year and will be our superstar for years to come. I’m just saying that much like sualii (who I’ve said in the past shouldn’t be playing till at least 19/20), if he hasn’t bulked up he could possibly be injured (not a liability, just injured). I also reckon manu won’t be playing much centre this year. My hot take is that he plays as a second fullback off the wing if not at 1/6. A lot of us have forgotten about mr injury himself billy smith, who on his day is a consistent and strong fg.

Comment

Originally posted by FlamingRooster View Post

Don’t get me wrong, I love walker. I think he was fantastic last year and will be our superstar for years to come. I’m just saying that much like sualii (who I’ve said in the past shouldn’t be playing till at least 19/20), if he hasn’t bulked up he could possibly be injured (not a liability, just injured). I also reckon manu won’t be playing much centre this year. My hot take is that he plays as a second fullback off the wing if not at 1/6. A lot of us have forgotten about mr injury himself billy smith, who on his day is a consistent and strong fg.
                    He's naturally much bigger than James Maloney ever was and also naturally bigger than Luke Keary. I don't see his size being as much of an issue as some are making it out to be, he will come back bigger every season just through natural growth, if there's some value in accelerating that then the coaching team will be all over it but he just played 1500minutes as an 18yr old, it only gets easier for him from here.

For any teenager entering first grade getting up to speed mentally is more of a challenge than the physical challenge and then injury prevention is always a concern as their bodies adapt to playing against men but that has nothing to do with size. SBW's body broke down on him consistently as a teenager and he was playing in the outside backs with arguably the greatest physique the code has ever seen for an athlete.

Simply put I think Sam Walker is heavy favourite to start Round 1.

Comment

Watson’s not playing centre next year unless due to injuries.

Comment

I have big concerns about the sizes of Keary and Walker. They are the Timothy Chamolets of the NRL.

Comment

Keary and Walker will develop into the most potent 7 and 6 combo in the competition as long as our pack can get back to there dominant ways.

Comment

Originally posted by Bondicigar View Post
                            Keary and Walker will develop into the most potent 7 and 6 combo in the competition as long as our pack can get back to there dominant ways.
                            100% dependant on our pack, spot on. Egan Butcher looked good with every touch last year (when he held it lol)
                            So dominant and powerful carryingn the ball with very quick play the balls also. Egan will be phenomenal fornus this year and will create plenty of room for our halves to play off the back of when he is on the field

Comment

Manu cannot kick. I think you need at least 2 kickers in the team, one either side of the ruck. Probs why he wasn't 5/8th back end of last year when we could have used his x factor. I'd like to see E Butcher start and Sitili off the bench. Egan B reminds me of Brad Clyde.

Comment

Working...
                              X