Your greatest punting stories…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your greatest punting stories…

I know there are a at least a few punters on here…so let’s here your stories! Whether it was a great win, a close loss or a dodgy betting agency that ripped you off? I had 10 bucks on nathan brown for first try scorer at 81 bucks earlier this season which got up…but have several sad stories I could also relate….let’s hear them!

I would be here for years talking about my punting stories.

A relative of mine trained Aunty Mary to win the 94 Villiers, I was 19 at the time and had $200 on her to collect $12k,.big money then and paid for my first car.n

I've had shares in numerous greyhounds, trained a few but mostly all by people now disqualified. We had a race at Appin in the early 90's where we had all 8 dogs in the race, just in other peoples names. 7 of them we hadn't worked for weeks except that morning on a private trial track. We had 1 good pup that was a rocket, he won a 274m race by 18 lenghts. We took 25k off the bookies (you could get on back then) ...also several trips to headquarters interviewed by stewards.

They are the good stories, hundreds of bad ones. Great times but you dont win punting lol

Comment

I don't bet for money because of my 'special' intuition but I did predict Selino would win the Sydney Cup a few months before it happened and also had a vision of a jockey wearing green and black so this was Realm of Flowers which has been nominated for Caulfield and Flemington for a little race in November... I've been tipping since I was a child and my first tip for Dad was Leilani when I was 7 years old which ran second in the 1974 Melbourne Cup. I kept doing this for Dad and he would bank the money for Mum & I from his Punters Club for Christmas. One year I bought a various artists album (that's vinyl for you young people) called 1982 The Winners in honour of the horses and also Parra. My winning streak of predicting the NRL winners was 12 years in a row. One of my nerdy colleagues from my old job worked out I had tipped $185,000 worth of winnings over the 12 years including the horses. But I do it for fun and the pleasure of seeing others do well, not to make money.

Last edited by redwhiteblue; 09-11-2021, 05:57 PM.
      "It's these little things, they can pull you under
      Live your life filled with joy and wonder"

Comment

$100 on Carney to win the Dally M medal in to Easts to win the grand final in 2010, it was paying something like $50. 40 minutes away from the win.

It wasn’t major money but I slapped $100 on Easts to beat Melbourne in 2007 at $5.50 or something early in the week, Freddy had the time firing it was always going to happen.

Comment

Part owned an AJC Derby runner in early 00s.
          After an unlucky run in the lead up Canterbury Guineas I thought it was a super chance at 50/1.
          I put on a few $10 each way bets and when he made the field I handed them out to my Dad, Father-in-law, brothers and brothers-in-law. Also had $400 on for myself.
          He was 20 lengths off them in the back straight and stuck on the fence and my face was white. Coming around the bend the horses in front of him kept leaving the fence and he kept taking inside runs. I thought FM if the two in front do the same he is in this. Then came the open sesame and he took the run along the fence and raced away. The family collected about $600 each. The best $3600 I ever gave away.

Comment

Originally posted by BUDDY View Post
            Part owned an AJC Derby runner in early 00s.
            After an unlucky run in the lead up Canterbury Guineas I thought it was a super chance at 50/1.
            I put on a few $10 each way bets and when he made the field I handed them out to my Dad, Father-in-law, brothers and brothers-in-law. Also had $400 on for myself.
            He was 20 lengths off them in the back straight and stuck on the fence and my face was white. Coming around the bend the horses in front of him kept leaving the fence and he kept taking inside runs. I thought FM if the two in front do the same he is in this. Then came the open sesame and he took the run along the fence and raced away. The family collected about $600 each. The best $3600 I ever gave away.
            Ambitious General ??

Comment

I had $5 on former Rooster ‘The big hombre’ to be last try scorer in the 2005 GF at $54

Comment

Had $ 200 bucks on Brett Mullins for first try scorer at 20/1 it had been 8 weeks in and he had not scored one meat pie so I thought he was due..and so behold he scores I see back at the club I shove 4 scooners in front of him he goes whats that for?I told him and he was amazed at 20/1 ..next week it was acase of let it ride again he comes in at 20/1 I must of pulled off about 8 first try scorers and just missed on a good one had $500 on mini in the GF but he lost it..me the idiot was jumping up and down with joy as I didnt look at the big screen....lol akso had 2 grand on chooks ..took it out early at 10/1 most of my mates jumped on at 17s and 20s later in the year.
                Ask JT for his best ever first try scorer miss. ..he got ripped .
                Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Comment

Not the greatest story but close to decent coin off an early investment.

At the start of 2019 season I got odds of 110/1 for the Roosters/Bears premiership double in the respective comps. Put $100 on it.

Bears got to 2nd week of finals and only bundled out by Jets with Hutch missing a kick from in front to win the game. So close. And Easts got the cash as you know.

P.S. as there are a few punters on here, good luck if you are in the Kosciuszko draw for tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by redwhiteblue View Post
                    I don't bet for money because of my 'special' intuition but I did predict Selino would win the Sydney Cup a few months before it happened and also had a vision of a jockey wearing green and black so this was Realm of Flowers which has been nominated for Caulfield and Flemington for a little race in November... I've been tipping since I was a child and my first tip for Dad was Leilani when I was 7 years old which ran second in the 1974 Melbourne Cup. I kept doing this for Dad and he would bank the money for Mum & I from his Punters Club for Christmas. One year I bought a various artists album (that's vinyl for you young people) called 1982 The Winners in honour of the horses and also Parra. My winning streak of predicting the NRL winners was 12 years in a row. One of my nerdy colleagues from my old job worked out I had tipped $185,000 worth of winnings over the 12 years including the horses. But I do it for fun and the pleasure of seeing others do well, not to make money.
                    I have that album.
                    Some great songs on it.
                    Great southern land, Rosanna, Solid rock, Jack and Diane and one of my favorites, Lady what’s your name by Swanee.

Comment

Part owned a horse in the early 2000s that won at Hawkesbury at 100/1. Felt pretty good having a drink in the winning owners room after the race.
                      Born and bred in the eastern suburbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Easts75 View Post

Ambitious General ??
                        He came 2nd to Fiumicino.

Comment

I had $10 on Tim mannah first tryscorer one Monday night v tigers I think at 100/1, tigers got a disallowed try, then mannah went over, it was only a week or two later that parra played the roosters, and just for fun I put $10 on him again, at 100/1, as I was at the bar, my mate said “should of bet on mannah again as he just scored the first try” I just smiled as I came back with drinks and said I did

drinks were on me for the rest of the day.

Comment

Originally posted by BUDDY View Post

He came 2nd to Fiumicino.
                            That's it, it was a bog from memory

Comment

Had a day at with the kids & missus at Taronga zoo and was punting on my phone the whole time. Turned $100 into $3800. Got home and needed a nap-but i thought ill put a quaddie on Port Hedland- as you do! My combinations came to $30 so i took it 10 times- costing $300- fark it i was on a roll. At worst ill take out $3500

Woke up checked the results- beauty after 3 legs i was still alive and got 2 horses in the last leg. Logged into my account to see if there were any approximates at what they were paying....and my balance wasnt $3500- it was $800- i was spewing. Checked my bet-being half asleep instead of taking it 10 times i took it 100 times at a cost of $3000.

Long story short- got up and paid $470.....a cool $47,000 collect

Comment

Working...
                              X