Boyd Cordner Retiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mickie Lane View Post
    Im out in my garage on my own on the laptop & I log onto the Roosters home page & click on Boyds speech announcing his retirement, I tell ya's the tears just flowed from my eyes, mate its devastating whats happened, the Roosters captain NSW captain & the highest honour of all the Australian Kangaroo's captain has to retire. The toughness Boyd & Jake brought to the Roosters is second to none. To watch 2 young men play with so much ticker for this club I love & have to retire just makes me cry.
    He mentioned a few people but for me the 3 comments that stuck out for me where "Robbo is the leader of this club & the Roosters will always be a successful team whilst he is the coach.
    Then he said "To Nick, when you think of the Sydney Roosters you think of Nick Politis.
    Then he was asked what his biggest achievement had been & he said "PLAYING FOR THE ROOSTERS.

I just want to thank you Boyd for being a champion player for the Roosters & I wish you the best of luck from here on in.
    Agree with everything you wrote except I think he said “BEING A ROOSTER” which has a different meaning to “ playing for the roosters”, as many may play for the roosters but not many can say they were a rooster.

Comment

• Originally posted by OMR View Post

Agree with everything you wrote except I think he said “BEING A ROOSTER” which has a different meaning to “ playing for the roosters”, as many may play for the roosters but not many can say they were a rooster.
      "I think the number one thing for me would be to be able to call myself a Rooster, definitely." - Boyd Cordner
      Gave me goosebumps.

Comment

• Originally posted by OMR View Post

Yeah you are right.

Comment

• Originally posted by BUDDY View Post

"I think the number one thing for me would be to be able to call myself a Rooster, definitely." - Boyd Cordner
          Gave me goosebumps.
          Correct.

Comment

• Apologies if someone posted this elsewhere but I found it a good read.

A day after his retirement, Boyd Cordner has heaped praise on the new long-term owner of his No.11 jersey, declaring Angus Crichton will be the player that drives the Roosters’ culture for years to come.

The premiership-winning captain also declared the team’s hard work and “steely concentration” would help them go close to winning the 2021 NRL title.

Cordner produced a heartfelt and professional retirement speech on Monday, and made it known on Tuesday he would remain around the team through the season and even travel to Penrith on Friday for the blockbuster clash against the Panthers.

The rapid rise of Crichton to become one of the premier back-rowers in the game, and now on Cordner’s left edge, is just one reason the former skipper is pumped about the coming months.

“It’s plain to see how good ‘Gussy’ is playing football at the moment,” Cordner told the Herald.

“Angus has taken his game to another level and the club’s future is in good hands with him there.

“He has a great character and a willingness to learn. He’s the hardest trainer and hardest worker at the club – he leaves nothing out there every session – and that’s why he has so improved so much, because he cares so much and trains so hard. When you do that consistently you get results.

“That’s why the Roosters are still so successful. There have been a lot of injuries, but guys like Angus have stepped up with the way they train and play, and they’re driving the culture now.

“He’s only 25, but with the younger guys coming through, they’re looking up to him now. He’ll be that guy at the club the next few years.”

Crichton told the Herald at the start of the year he was only ever the temporary owner of the No. 11 jersey, and was prepared to move, most likely back to the right edge, once his inspirational skipper returned.

He will wear the No. 11 against the Panthers in a game that features the return of skipper James Tedesco after an Origin enforced break.

Cordner said while Crichton was now one of the leaders, Sam Walker, 19 on Wednesday, was every player’s “younger brother”, and one of the great shames about his premature exit from the game was being denied the chance to play alongside the No. 7.

Walker, who has played just nine NRL games, has already shown he is Cordner-like tough.

“Sammy Walker is such a good kid, he’s like a younger brother to all of us at the Roosters, and with him being such a respectful young kid, you have so much time for guys like that coming through,” Cordner said.

“He’s always had talent, but he was all heart again on the weekend when he came off [against the Titans] and then returned and kicked [the winning field-goal]. That will give him so much confidence. He’ll have a very successful career at the Roosters.

“I think we can definitely still win it this year.

“The hard work and steely concentration every player has during every meeting, the preparation, the way they train and how hungry they are, that was all driving me to get back and play.

“It will be a challenge for us because of all the injuries, but you’ve seen everyone step up, and if we keep working hard and get to the finals, we’re a really big chance.”

‘We knew five weeks ago things weren’t right with Boyd. He wasn’t close to playing’

Cordner said the plan was to take some time out but he would remain around the team for the remainder of the season.

“I don’t think I can sit still for too long, and I’ll be out at Penrith on Friday night,” Cordner said.

“I’ll still go to games. I want to finish the year with the Roosters and be around the boys. I want to finish the year with them, not just for the team but for myself personally.

“I’ll be watching and supporting them. They’re still my best mates.”

Comment

• another good read
              The retirement of Boyd Cordner this week was not at all unexpected. After multiple head knocks sustained in the act of performing his stellar and relentless defence, the lad from the NSW Mid North Coast has put his long-term health above his unquestioned passion for his beloved Sydney Roosters and called time on his career. […]

Comment

• Originally posted by zac View Post
                another good read
                Wade Graham will be the next one who will have to retire due to head knocks.

Comment

• Obviously coming in late to this one, but wanted to pay my respects. Boyd - you are a club great, legend and an all round top bloke. You will be sorely missed, but your health, welfare and well-being have to come first. Best wishes, and I hope that you maintain a strong and close association with our club for many years to come.
                  MRR or Rabid

Some people believe supporting the Roosters
                  is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed
                  with that attitude. I can assure you it is
                  much, much more important than that.

(1981 Bill Shankly quote variation)

Comment

Working...
                  X