Is Teddy right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Teddy right?

Are we really the victims of foul play that's going unpunished.

Is it because we do not play for penalties and teams know it and exploit it against us.

Or has the game become so fast that fatigue is causing poor form or technique.

Read a statistic that head injuries are up 700% over the opening 8 rounds compared to the past 3 years.

Crazy what has become of our game, and I personally don't enjoy it.

Take me back to our 2013 battles with Manly any day of the week. Those close, defensive games of chess we had with then throughout the 2013 season was amazing.

Now days we're watching under 20s games with adults playing.

I don't understand why we insist on making it so fast. Most successful sports are rather slow. It's taking the character and intellect out of the game. Not to mention the injuries.

Comment

I detest the 6 again rule.

Comment

I have a theory that every (re)action the NRL has taken in regards to avoiding head injuries has resulted in more head injuries:
        - banning shoulder charge completely means defenders (especially short defenders like Friend) can no longer brace themselves to avoid a head collision.
        - HIA assessment has given defenders an incentive to concuss the opposition

Peter V'landys and his idiotic 6-again another unintended consequence. That is, the rules were rushed in to destroy the Roosters/Storm domination and here we have Storm looking like they will go B2B, and when we get all our players back next year it will be us going B2B. Meanwhile there is the ticking time bomb of fans watching their teams get flogged by 50 points every week and getting ready to stay home and watch a movie instead.

Comment

Originally posted by FREEMAN89 View Post
          Are we really the victims of foul play that's going unpunished.

Is it because we do not play for penalties and teams know it and exploit it against us.

Or has the game become so fast that fatigue is causing poor form or technique.

Read a statistic that head injuries are up 700% over the opening 8 rounds compared to the past 3 years.

Crazy what has become of our game, and I personally don't enjoy it.

Take me back to our 2013 battles with Manly any day of the week. Those close, defensive games of chess we had with then throughout the 2013 season was amazing.

Now days we're watching under 20s games with adults playing.
          I agree with you and the guys I work with say the same and they are much younger than me.

Its like the Roosters are being punished injury wise for playing with heart and throwing everything at the opposition despite being down on troops whilst Cronulla (who used to be our bogey team there for a while) and Souths (our current bogey team) couldn't score a point this round and Newcastle could only manage 4 against 11 men last round. Canberra are complete rubbish now yet they were the only team that scared me in 2019/20. They've failed to capitalise on any momentum they had gained from coming so close in previous years and have now backslidden into mediocrity.. strange old competition..it's like bizzaro world..down is up..up is down..

"It's these little things, they can pull you under
          Live your life filled with joy and wonder"

Comment

700% is insane.

Where did you get that stat from? I wonder how much of that is just tightening of the HIA protocols or whether there are genuinely more head injuries in the game.

Comment

Originally posted by dice View Post
              I have a theory that every (re)action the NRL has taken in regards to avoiding head injuries has resulted in more head injuries:
              - banning shoulder charge completely means defenders (especially short defenders like Friend) can no longer brace themselves to avoid a head collision.
              - HIA assessment has given defenders an incentive to concuss the opposition

Peter V'landys and his idiotic 6-again another unintended consequence. That is, the rules were rushed in to destroy the Roosters/Storm domination and here we have Storm looking like they will go B2B, and when we get all our players back next year it will be us going B2B. Meanwhile there is the ticking time bomb of fans watching their teams get flogged by 50 points every week and getting ready to stay home and watch a movie instead.
              Yes exactly. One of my workmates follows the Dragons and he has 3 children all heavily involved with their own sporting obligations on weekends. He said to take them to Bankwest to watch them play Parra would cost his family $150 without parking, snacks etc to watch mediocre games.

Comment

Here's a radical suggestion to clean up the foul play problem: make the offending team pay a salary cap penalty to the team of the victim. If the victim's team loses a player to obvious foul play and is out for ten weeks, then the offending team would cover that player's salary for that period out of their cap and the Roosters get corresponding cap relief. There'd be no actual cash transferred, just an adjustment of the caps available (maybe carried over to the following year for the team of the offender if their cap was expended, but available immediately to the victim's club).

For example, if the Roosters now have to pay Hutch $25,000 while he is on the sidelines, they immediately get cap relief for that. Parra would have $25,000 deducted from their cap in the following year. Or if Tedesco is wiped out for six months from a foul, that figure might be half a million.

Comment

Originally posted by Yeception 7 View Post
                  I don't understand why we insist on making it so fast. Most successful sports are rather slow. It's taking the character and intellect out of the game. Not to mention the injuries.
                  IMO it's stupid because the game's the same speed... just we're seeing more injuries, more cricket scores and more foul play (as people get fatigued).

Further, I think the goal is to get rid of Storm/Raiders style wrestling/stripping without admitting they farked up by allowing it. Instead... let's make the game 'faster' rather than just policing the fark outta people intentionally trying to slow the game down.

Comment

Many valid points made in this thread.

Hutch's assailant definitely deserves to be rubbed out until his victim is fit to play.

Great point about the shoulder charge rule forcing defenders to tackle front on, increasing head injury risk.

How about not punishing around the legs tackles as they currently are?

Teddy's personal situation reminds me of what Maradona went through in his career. Here you have the game's best player being deliberately fouled and maimed up to twice every game as his opponents are not good enough to take him on within the rules.

The current system is pathological on many levels.

Clearly we lack an effective deterrent to foul play as it is increasing. 2 and 3 week suspensions for the very worst assaults such as Hutcho's do not cut it. Let the offender sit out the game and at least as long as it takes for the victim to return to the game, be that 3 months or 12 months.

At what point does someone like Hutcho sue his attacker for loss of earning potential?

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster_6 View Post
                      700% is insane.

Where did you get that stat from? I wonder how much of that is just tightening of the HIA protocols or whether there are genuinely more head injuries in the game.
                      Yeah HIAs are a mixed bag for me. I support them coming down hard on dog shots so that people learn to either do a proper tackle or make no contact at all (rather than speculatively swinging a stray arm around as soon as they miss).

It gets abused though. Zero tolerance never works because the cheats (e.g. Munster) will keep cheating and you just end up penalising people for making honest mistakes.

Reminds me of the Canberra's farking 'zero tolerance towards violence at schools' rule. Literally all it does is force any kids with ADHD/autism (or simply bigger kids who are a bit more energetic) to be sent home and excluded every day. Meanwhile, bullying is still rampant because the art of bullying involves picking out a kid with ADHD/autism, being an @rswhole to them and then playing the victim when they fire up at you. Result? Instead of stamping out 'male violence against females'... there's a long line of mothers each day who have to leave work and pickup their kids at recess time because 'stamping their foot', 'pushing somebody' or 'throwing a crayon at the wall' leads to them getting sent home right away. It's stupid and doesn't touch the issue of bullying/control/violence. It just penalised less devious kids who have self-control issues (that they're usually working on, whereas bullies and narcissists will be finding new ways to trigger them, with the support of idiot teachers who buy into their 'victim' stories).

Long story short... people who are morally bankrupt don't magically become nice people because of zero tolerance rules. Cheaters will always find ways to cheat the system and cry the victim when nobody's done anything to them. That's why rather than hot-headed 'zero tolerance' rules, we need calm heads that can see what's REALLY going on.
                      Last edited by ism22; 05-09-2021, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ism22 View Post

Yeah HIAs are a mixed bag for me. I support them coming down hard on dog shots so that people learn to either do a proper tackle or make no contact at all (rather than speculatively swinging a stray arm around as soon as they miss).

It gets abused though. Zero tolerance never works because the cheats (e.g. Munster) will keep cheating and you just end up penalising people for making honest mistakes.

Reminds me of the Canberra's farking 'zero tolerance towards violence at schools' rule. Literally all it does is force any kids with ADHD/autism (or simply bigger kids who are a bit more energetic) to be sent home and excluded every day. Meanwhile, bullying is still rampant because the art of bullying involves picking out a kid with ADHD/autism, being an @rswhole to them and then playing the victim when they fire up at you. Result? Instead of stamping out 'male violence against females'... there's a long line of mothers each day who have to leave work and pickup their kids at recess time because a 60 'stamping their foot', 'pushing somebody' of 'throwing a crayon at the wall' leads to them getting sent home right away. It's stupid and doesn't touch the issue of bullying/control/violence. It just penalised less devious kids who have self-control issues (that they're usually working on, whereas bullies and narcissists will be finding new ways to trigger them, with the support of idiot teachers who buy into their 'victim' stories).

Long story short... people who are morally bankrupt don't magically become nice people because of zero tolerance rules. Cheaters will always find ways to cheat the system and cry the victim when nobody's done anything to them. Rather than 'zero tolerance', we need calm heads that can see what's REALLY going on.
                        In the space of a week my great niece age 9 got punched in the stomach by a boy at school in country Victoria, one of my female cousins who is a teacher on the Gold Coast got accused of hitting one of her male students (who actually got his mate to do the punching) and here in Sydney my friend's 14 year old daughter received a message from a boy she refused to date saying he was going to slit her throat.

Comment

Originally posted by redwhiteblue View Post

In the space of a week my great niece age 9 got punched in the stomach by a boy at school in country Victoria, one of my female cousins who is a teacher on the Gold Coast got accused of hitting one of her male students (who actually got his mate to do the punching) and here in Sydney my friend's 14 year old daughter received a message from a boy she refused to date saying he was going to slit her throat.
                          RWB, that’s horrifying. All of it.

Comment

Originally posted by redwhiteblue View Post

Sorry to hear that... pretty messed up!!! I hope these guys got the book thrown at them? Frustrates me that this kinda crap goes on every day. Totally off-topic but it's scary for me having a daughter in Japan because I have no insight into what may or may not be happening to her at school (and am powerless to do anything). However I'm pretty sure that as the only tall girl with brown hair in her town, there will be d!ckheads chasing after her all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Roosters1908 View Post

RWB, that’s horrifying. All of it.
                              I know..and if you question the behaviour of these boys, you get attitude from their MOTHERS..between that and the other incidents all over the media this week about the one sent to jail, I feel sick..I really do need to stay away from those news sites..I've spent enough time on here this weekend too.. I hope everyone has a good week and let's just hope next week will be brighter for our team.

Comment

Working...
                              X