Why Didn't Suaalii Play?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Didn't Suaalii Play?

I've been a bit confused with what the commentators last night were saying, what Robinson said in the presser and what I'm reading on the papers match reports.
    The commentators last night were saying that because Brown wasn't put on report, we couldn't activate the 18th man rule and bring in Suaalii.
    Robinson said in the presser that he was told 20 minutes after the Hutch incident, at the start of the 2nd half that Brown was now on report and Robbo didn't have time to prepare.
    The Same reason was explained by journos including that from the NRL, that Robbo didn't have to to prepare.

What did Robbo have 'no time to prepare'? Joseph had been warming up once Ikuvalu was sent to the HIA and and still could have warmed up during the the second half, but Robbo didn't use him.

I agree that the officials were incompetent fools, but why didn't Robbo pull the trigger on Joseph and gave him some game time even if it was the last 20 or so minutes of the game? Maybe he might of injected some fresh opportunities to score.

I don't get this whole incident.

Channel nine interviewed Trent at halftime just before the second half and they asked him about it. Trent basically said he wouldn’t need to and the players would tough it out.
    ..it’ll be interesting to see

Comment

You can’t use the 18th man unless you have 3 failed HIA’s, or lose a player due to foul play that results in a sin bin or send off for the offender. The only thing we missed out on was a free interchange because we didn’t know Brown has put on report until we were already run on for the second half.

Comment

Originally posted by Waylander View Post
        You can’t use the 18th man unless you have 3 failed HIA’s, or lose a player due to foul play that results in a sin bin or send off for the offender. The only thing we missed out on was a free interchange because we didn’t know Brown has put on report until we were already run on for the second half.
        and what, you can't bring him on later in the second half once he is ready?

Comment

We weren’t allowed to use him because we didn’t have 3 failed HIA’s and Brown wasn’t binned.

Comment

He didn't say anything about being binned, Robbo said he didn't have 'time to prepare'...Prepare what? The paperwork for JS to sign? Getting him warmed up? If it was about Brown not being binned, he would have said it.

Comment

He was talking about the free interchange, not using about Suaalli.

Comment

If Brown was put on report the replacement for Hutch would be a free interchange- as Brown wasn't put on report the replacement for Hutch was deemed one of the 8 interchanges allowed - Chooks were told as the team was running back on for the second half that oh by the way Brown was on report - meaning Robbo wasn't given notice of being able to replace Hutch with a free interchange until the second half was basically underway.

Usually the player replaced under this first free interchange comes back on and this too is a free interchange - not sure how this works in Hutch's case when he wasn't able to come back on - maybe the player that replaced Hutch belatedly as the free interchange becomes Hutch in regards to when they are interchanged and that being a free interchange as well?.

The 18th player can only be utilised for 3 failed HIA's or a player being ruled out of the game as a result of foul player when the perpetrator is either sin binned or sent off not just put on report as was the case belatedly with Brown being placed on report.

The NRL really needs to go to 2 reserves that can be used when a player is ruled out of the game through injury - a concussion is an injury and not just one reserve (18th man) when 3 players fail HIA'S or is ruled out of the game through foul play as refs are seemingly reluctant to use the sin bin or send off.
                Last edited by King Salvo; 05-08-2021, 01:28 PM.

Comment

What Robbo said had nothing to do with Suaali. It had to do with not having time to work out how to use his free interchange once that animal was put on report.

It’s a disgrace he wasn’t binned and if he was it would have made a big difference. Not only the 12 players thing. If we could have used Suaali we don’t have Keirhan in the centres. He is at hooker and the busted Marshke comes off.

So what does Annesley do? Stand down the bunker idiots for one night.

Comment

brown was put on report on the night and so we did get a free interchange to replace hutch but there was a breakdown in communications.

suaalii never made it from 18th man to the bench and i'm not sure why not once it was clear hutch wasn't coming back. perhaps you can only do it if a player is concussed from report worthy conduct, rather than any kind of injury

Comment

Two things:
                      1) On report allows free interchange
                      2) Sin bin required for 18th man

I mentioned in other thread the NRL have made a rod for their own back. Ref was pressured into sin binning Radley vs Storm so that they could make use of 18th man if need be. And last night we couldn't replace a player genuinely injured from foul play. NRL need to fix that, and I don't mean sin binning every time a player goes down. Allow teams to use 18th man if incident is on report and doctor confirms game-ending injury related to that incident.

Comment

Adam Keighran was a better replacement for Hutch anyway.
                        Last edited by Team Evil; 05-08-2021, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by zac View Post
                          brown was put on report on the night and so we did get a free interchange to replace hutch but there was a breakdown in communications.

suaalii never made it from 18th man to the bench and i'm not sure why not once it was clear hutch wasn't coming back. perhaps you can only do it if a player is concussed from report worthy conduct, rather than any kind of injury
                          Don't know what the bunker or the ref was looking at as the Hutch incident was when they were reviewing the try - oh no try - mmm gees that Parra player came in with knees there.- i mean what were they doing??? Breakdown in communication is something the NRL would use as an excuse - incompetence is the right word-

I am sure i heard the ref asking the touchy if the incident happened before or after the knock on as well i.e the Tedesco incident - so what does that mean - a player can commit foul play but if it's after the knock on it's okay - i am sure he was going to give Parra the ball (changeover) for the knock on until belated the bunker stepped in and the Parra player was put on report and the Chooks received a penalty with Keighran kicking the penalty goal.

18th player couldn't be used as Brown wasn't binned or sent off - an anomaly when you think that's Brown charge was 300 base points (3) games on it's own and Niukore 200 base points (2) games on it's own. - Parra's next 2 or 3 opponents benefit from their absence.
                          Last edited by King Salvo; 05-08-2021, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X