Great to see the positivity.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great to see the positivity.

I for one am really enjoying the positivity of the forum over the last few weeks. I am no holier than thou preacher, and I know this place is full of passionate fans, and we all wish the best for the team which gives us so much. We all look forward to the games, want to cheer our boys on, ride the rollercoaster with them, embrace the success and feel the failures. We get ribbed by our mates when we lose, and we give it all back when we win. It's a big part of our lives.

We all react differently to results and we are all human and sometimes it's natural to want to blame someone for ruining our day by stuffing up a play etc, but I always remember as a young boy in the early 60's walking home to our place in Norfolk Street from the Sports Ground , with my dad and uncle, and how they would talk about the game, the outstanding memory is that they always thought we were unlucky when we lost, they always talked about the good plays we put on, or the great tackles, and the near misses. I never heard them bag a player.

I think our club has done a great job of putting together a bunch of guys who create a TEAM, some established stars like Teddy, The Moz boys, Keary, JWH, TKO, Rads, Toups. Angus and Cords, plus some potential stars, like Manu, Sammy V, Sam Walker, Fletcher Baker, Sitili, Lindsay, Suaali and some hard working team players like Liu, Butch, Hutch,Lam and Iku. They can't all be stars, the salary cap just doesn't allow that, but they all contribute to the TEAM.

I think the first game I went to was inthe late 50's, when i was 7 years old, so have ridden the good and lean times, for over 60 years and the last 25 years, since Freddy joined the club have been the most consistently successful period during my lifetime. I fukking LOVE being a ROOSTERS fan. I don't know what's going to happen this year, it would be history making if we won the big dance with an 18 year old at halfback, anything above 4th would be a great result taking into account the loss of Friend, Keary and Cords for half a season.

All I'm trying to say is enjoy the ride, it will be bumpy, embrace the wins and wear the losses. They are YOUR team, you chose them, they didn't choose you.
    Last edited by NorfolkStreetKid; 04-27-2021, 08:41 AM.

Nice post and shared memories.

Comment

Very good post NSK. Coming off a great Anzac Day experience for the club, it makes for a good week. We are fortunate to have chosen Easts for whatever reason or path took us here.

Comment

Very well written mate. Definately enjoying the ups and the downs and the in betweens this year.

Comment

Yeah was great to see a tem thats kinda patched up just blitz it.

I just wanna shout out to Joey Manu because stepping in to Teddy's spot isn't any easy assignment, but man I think he he pretty good. Also Marshke for a 5th string hooker isn't a Friendy but the guy is putting in so well done.
          There was a shit ton of spirit in that side Sunday and if they can keep up that enthusiasm they'll go far.

Comment

We said Norfolk .

Comment

positivity? you taking the piss? but sure, there's a lot of great passion for the roosters and the odd brawl is inevitable

Comment

Nice write up Norfolk though I must admit your kid tag threw me off if you were first attending roosters games in the 60s, no spring chicken but a tough old rooster.

Comment

Originally posted by NorfolkStreetKid View Post
                  I for one am really enjoying the positivity of the forum over the last few weeks. I am no holier than thou preacher, and I know this place is full of passionate fans, and we all wish the best for the team which gives us so much. We all look forward to the games, want to cheer our boys on, ride the rollercoaster with them, embrace the success and feel the failures. We get ribbed by our mates when we lose, and we give it all back when we win. It's a big part of our lives.

We all react differently to results and we are all human and sometimes it's natural to want to blame someone for ruining our day by stuffing up a play etc, but I always remember as a young boy in the early 60's walking home to our place in Norfolk Street from the Sports Ground , with my dad and uncle, and how they would talk about the game, the outstanding memory is that they always thought we were unlucky when we lost, they always talked about the good plays we put on, or the great tackles, and the near misses. I never heard them bag a player.

I think our club has done a great job of putting together a bunch of guys who create a TEAM, some established stars like Teddy, The Moz boys, Keary, JWH, TKO, Rads, Toups. Angus and Cords, plus some potential stars, like Manu, Sammy V, Sam Walker, Fletcher Baker, Sitili, Lindsay, Suaali and some hard working team players like Liu, Butch, Hutch,Lam and Iku. They can't all be stars, the salary cap just doesn't allow that, but they all contribute to the TEAM.

I think the first game I went to was inthe late 50's, when i was 7 years old, so have ridden the good and lean times, for over 60 years and the last 25 years, since Freddy joined the club have been the most consistently successful period during my lifetime. I fukking LOVE being a ROOSTERS fan. I don't know what's going to happen this year, it would be history making if we won the big dance with an 18 year old at halfback, anything above 4th would be a great result taking into account the loss of Friend, Keary and Cords for half a season.

All I'm trying to say is enjoy the ride, it will be bumpy, embrace the wins and wear the losses. They are YOUR team, you chose them, they didn't choose you.
                  Nice post mate but weren't you on here yesterday having a raging argument with Johnny Tobin? That didn't seem so positive. Still though, I agree with your sentiments.

Comment

Nice post.
                    I thought you were a bit harsh on Manu and Liu. They are established stars imo. Both NZ internationals and one is the best centre in the world when he wants to be.
                    A couple of other debatables but we'll leave them out seeing there are a hundred other threads debating them.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Brass View Post
                      Nice write up Norfolk though I must admit your kid tag threw me off if you were first attending roosters games in the 60s, no spring chicken but a tough old rooster.
                      I WAS a Norfolk Street Kid.... aka , a kid who grew up in a terrace house in Norfolk Street Paddington in the 1950's and early 60's. Still some of my fondest memories of that time and would go back there in a heartbeat. Went to Paddo Public, then St Francis and Christian Bros Paddo. Now just turned 69 and living in Brisbane.

Comment

Originally posted by BUDDY View Post
                        Nice post.
                        I thought you were a bit harsh on Manu and Liu. They are established stars imo. Both NZ internationals and one is the best centre in the world when he wants to be.
                        A couple of other debatables but we'll leave them out seeing there are a hundred other threads debating them.
                        Yes mate, I value both of them very highly, Liu for his outstanding efforts with the hard yards, and Manu for his enigmatic brilliance. I guess I was just trying to say a team is made up of players with different talents and abilities, not all superstars, and should be assessed and valued differently.
                        Last edited by NorfolkStreetKid; 04-27-2021, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Long Balls View Post

Nice post mate but weren't you on here yesterday having a raging argument with Johnny Tobin? That didn't seem so positive. Still though, I agree with your sentiments.
                          Thanks, yes i know it's confusing, and I really want to make an effort to avoid that type of thing in the future. My excuse is that i want to stand up against what I consider unnecessary or unfair criticism of our players, but I hope to temper that . Tobin and I have had a bad history of mutual abuse here, and yes I do react negatively to many of his posts. I have regrets about that situation and I hope it does improve, we are all CHOOKS here.

Comment

Originally posted by zac View Post
                            positivity? you taking the piss? but sure, there's a lot of great passion for the roosters and the odd brawl is inevitable
                            No mate, not taking the piss, just being optimistic.

Comment

Originally posted by HDTONE View Post
                              Yeah was great to see a tem thats kinda patched up just blitz it.

I just wanna shout out to Joey Manu because stepping in to Teddy's spot isn't any easy assignment, but man I think he he pretty good. Also Marshke for a 5th string hooker isn't a Friendy but the guy is putting in so well done.
                              There was a shit ton of spirit in that side Sunday and if they can keep up that enthusiasm they'll go far.
                              I saw an inerview with JWH, and he was asked about young Sam Walkers impact on the team, he spoke about how the older guys love the kids enthusiasm, and i really think he has added that to the team, maybe in some intangible way, but I loved what i saw on Anzac day.
                              Last edited by NorfolkStreetKid; 04-27-2021, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X