Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NRL clubs are lining up for Roosters teenager Ronald Volkman

Source Link: https://www.zerotackle.com/nrl-clubs...n-news-101028/

NRL clubs are lining up for Roosters teenager Ronald Volkman following a dazzling performance in the Tri-colours’ trial match against the Tigers over the weekend.

The 18-year-old collected two tries for his efforts, one of which being a pacey chip-and-chase try in what was an outing that is sure to put plenty of pressure on young halves Lachie Lam and Sam Walker.

A youthful Chooks side edged out an experienced Wests outfit 28-22 thanks to a late Naufahu Whyte try, with Volkman and stand-in captain Max Baily leading the way.

According to The Wide World of Sports’ The Mole, Volkman’s management have had their phone buzzing endlessly since his impressive trial clash, with rival clubs now taking notice of the Jersey Flegg star’s options for the future.

Volkman is off-contract at the end of the season and could see his opportunities in Bondi sparse this year, with Lam and Walker fighting for the No.7 jumper.

Roosters coach Trent Robinson cut promising halfback Kyle Flanagan at the end of last season, with the 22-year-old moving to Canterbury after being told he was not part of Robinson’s plans for the future.

With Volkman set to have plenty of interest elsewhere, the Roosters starlet is likely to have several options for his future should his hot spell continue.

PS: I can't see the Chooks hanging onto this kid... he's well behind Lachie Lam and Sam Walker.

Won't be behind Lachie Lam for too long.

There are reasons why Flanagan got the punt, this is one of them.
    Born and bred in the eastern suburbs.

Comment

Tell me there dreaming

Comment

1 good game & clubs are lining up for him.
        Jayden Nikorima played a pretty good game over in England for the Chooks once.

Comment

hope he doesn't let it go to his head. he'll get coached well here. he shouldn't make a decision until he sees how this year unfolds. a lot can happen in a year

Comment

Originally posted by Mickie Lane View Post
            1 good game & clubs are lining up for him.
            Jayden Nikorima played a pretty good game over in England for the Chooks once.
            He's been killing it in all his junior grades aswell which has attracted the Waratahs interest also. Kid is a freak, not suprised at all other clubs are interested

Comment

Originally posted by Vasco View Post

This...

Comment

[QUOTE=Mickie Lane: ] good game & clubs are lining up for him? Jayden Nikorima played a pretty good game over in England for the Chooks once.

No this kids a good 'un Mick. Our resident good judge, Salvo, put me onto him several months ago and I've watched and re watched all of his clips. Great awareness, good step, short kicking game and a goal kicker. Plus he runs like a deer and is solidly built (as Salvo has so pertinently observed). Besides, he's related to my tree lopper.
                But I know what you're sayin'. I got carried away with Josh Lewis back in the day but the NRL proved to be a bridge too far.

Comment

Originally posted by Vasco View Post

Spot on mate, on both counts..

Comment

He went to Waverley College?

Surely he'd be an Easts fan?

And yes, I'd count him as a true blue local junior.

Comment

having cooper cronk here might help to keep him and walker beyond this year

Comment

Lam better come good this season otherwise he can piss off.

Comment

It will depend on where he is at football wise including his continual development and the opportunities he receives plus or course his commitment , motivation and willingness to listen and learn - Might be happy to play another year or two at most in the lower grades at the Chooks? but eventually he may have to seek an NRL opportunity elsewhere if it's not forthcoming at the Chooks- if of course Rugby doesn't sign him.

People will say plenty of young players have been standouts in the lower grades but didn't transition into an NRL player - sometimes it's the Kids fault believing all the wraps and thinking things will just happen or it's the club's in leaving a kid too long in the lower grades weaker comps as they don't get tested enough as they would at NRL level.

Another problem is that Canterbury Cup is not a a strong enough comp to develop players further - players in this grade are either NRL minimum contract players with the Parent NRL team and or players signed by the relevant Canterbury Cup side - very minimum contacts too and basically part-time players.

North Sydney will have a few Chook contracted players and Bears contracted players making up the side . It wont be the same team each week and they would hardly train as team - possibly train twice a week non NRL contracted players that is as the Bears contracted players would be holding down either part time or full time jobs and maybe studying as well.-some of the minimum contract Chools players may have part time jobs or study too?.

Its very much a forgotten comp Canterbury Cup played on Saturdays with few in attendance and it wont be televised this year either i understand- sure NRL have plans to play some of these games as NRL curtain raisers but how will that work for the Bears and Chooks?

Need to really look at the pathways from Matts through to Canterbury Cup. - Jersey Flegg to NRL is a big jump - Canterbury Cup isn't providing the development it should be after Jersey Flegg for players.

Don't think they will ever go back to a NYC type comp again and some would say that Jersey Flegg isn't the necessary comp either.

Any views on what should happen with the pathways to NRL- At least they have done a bit for the CRL in having the Andrew Johns (under 16's) and Laurie Daley (under 18's) cups but more needs to be done.

Last edited by King Salvo; 02-23-2021, 07:57 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Thirteen; Lam better come good this season otherwise he can piss off.

As much as I'm a fan of Lam's enthusiasm, this Volkman brings more to the team. He a stepper like Luai and a handy opportunist (both tries on Saturday). I'd love to see him in there with Keary in the near future for one game at least. Let's see what he brings.

Comment

Originally posted by Thirteen View Post
                              Lam better come good this season otherwise he can piss off.
                              Agreed

Comment

Working...
                              X