Predicted Round 1 team 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Predicted Round 1 team 2021

In a series analysing who will line up in each position for all 16 teams in the opening round of the Telstra Premiership in 2021, NRL.com looks at the Sydney Roosters.

NRL.com says: Victor Radley and Sam Verrills are racing the clock for round one after suffering ACL ruptures during the 2020 season but Radley would come straight in if fit.

If neither makes round one then the last bench spot if a toss-up between Hutchison as a utility or another forward such as Daniel Fifita.

Sam Walker shapes as the long-term No.7 but may not quite be NRL-ready yet, in which case Lachlan Lam would start the season with the recently re-signed Hutchison and recruit Adam Keighran as other options.
    ​​
    Jamie Soward says: Their depth has taken a bit of a hit over the last three years. There are question marks over the No.7 jersey but Lam will get the start. Walker will push for a start but they have an abundance of talent.

Fully fit their 1-20 is the best in the comp. They'll have to have a worst-case scenario plan for the back row if Cordner needs an extended break but this is a side I'm expecting to compete for another title.

1. JAMES TEDESCO
    2. DANIEL TUPOU
    3. Josh Morris
    4. Joseph Manu
    5. Brett Morris
    6. Luke Keary
    7. Lachlan Lam
    8. Jared Warea-Hargreaves
    9. Jake Friend
    10. SiosiuaTaukeiaho
    11. Boyd Cordner
    12. Angus Crichton
    13. Isaac Liu
    14. Nat Butcher
    15. Lindsay Collins
    16. Sitili Tupouniua
    17. Drew Hutchison

Others: Fletcher Baker, Egan Butcher, Matt Ikuvalu, Adam Keighran, Victor Radley, Billy Smith, Joseph Suaalii, Daniel Suluka-Fifita, Sam Verrils, Sam Walker.
    ​​​​

Provided that Cords, Radley and Verrills are fit, I would go with:

Tedesco
    Tupou
    JMoz
    Manu
    BMoz
    Keary
    Keighran
    JWH
    Friend
    SST
    Cordner
    Crichton
    Radley

Verrills
    Collins
    Liu
    Tupouinua

Comment

Originally posted by Bahrain Rooster View Post
      Provided that Cords, Radley and Verrills are fit, I would go with:

Tedesco
      Tupou
      JMoz
      Manu
      BMoz
      Keary
      Keighran
      JWH
      Friend
      SST
      Cordner
      Crichton
      Radley

Verrills
      Collins
      Liu
      Tupouinua
      But at this stage they are not otherwise they would of been named. We are talking about Rd1 not the best 17.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks Fur Coat View Post
        In a series analysing who will line up in each position for all 16 teams in the opening round of the Telstra Premiership in 2021, NRL.com looks at the Sydney Roosters.

NRL.com says: Victor Radley and Sam Verrills are racing the clock for round one after suffering ACL ruptures during the 2020 season but Radley would come straight in if fit.

If neither makes round one then the last bench spot if a toss-up between Hutchison as a utility or another forward such as Daniel Fifita.

Sam Walker shapes as the long-term No.7 but may not quite be NRL-ready yet, in which case Lachlan Lam would start the season with the recently re-signed Hutchison and recruit Adam Keighran as other options.
        ​​
        Jamie Soward says: Their depth has taken a bit of a hit over the last three years. There are question marks over the No.7 jersey but Lam will get the start. Walker will push for a start but they have an abundance of talent.

Fully fit their 1-20 is the best in the comp. They'll have to have a worst-case scenario plan for the back row if Cordner needs an extended break but this is a side I'm expecting to compete for another title.

1. JAMES TEDESCO
        2. DANIEL TUPOU
        3. Josh Morris
        4. Joseph Manu
        5. Brett Morris
        6. Luke Keary
        7. Lachlan Lam
        8. Jared Warea-Hargreaves
        9. Jake Friend
        10. SiosiuaTaukeiaho
        11. Boyd Cordner
        12. Angus Crichton
        13. Isaac Liu
        14. Nat Butcher
        15. Lindsay Collins
        16. Sitili Tupouniua
        17. Drew Hutchison

Others: Fletcher Baker, Egan Butcher, Matt Ikuvalu, Adam Keighran, Victor Radley, Billy Smith, Joseph Suaalii, Daniel Suluka-Fifita, Sam Verrils, Sam Walker.
        ​​​​
        It would be good to see Billy Smith named at left centre, dont know what you do with J Morris.

Comment

Originally posted by Mickie Lane View Post

But at this stage they are not otherwise they would of been named. We are talking about Rd1 not the best 17.
          I see that. Must have mis-read the article. Besides Keighran for Lam, that 1-17 seems pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by Bahrain Rooster View Post

I see that. Must have mis-read the article. Besides Keighran for Lam, that 1-17 seems pretty good.
            Surely Lachie isn't going to be queued behind another guy with similar or probably less experience than him? We've already seen that in 2020 with Flanagan which was a blue.

Walker I could live with if the coaching staff think he's ready to dance now. He is the new Messiah...apparently.

Comment

in a little cynical on lam , if he was really good enough we never would have signed Flanagan. he appears a total stop gap. ok flanno didn't work out, walkers not ready yet. hey Lachlan you've got the gig till round 16.

Comment

Does anyone believe with the new rule's perhaps halves could come into the game at a younger age and be more effective ? I also think with no reserve grade this year this really does impact the selection of young players early on in the season more so than any other year

Comment

I think Keighran is most likely to get a run, as he is a good goal kicker.

Comment

I think Jamie Soward's team is probably close to the mark, except for Boyd possibly. It is a toss up between Lachie and Adam at this very early stage. Sam and Rads should not be rushed back in prematurely if there is any doubt around their fitness.
                    MRR or Rabid

Some people believe supporting the Roosters
                    is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed
                    with that attitude. I can assure you it is
                    much, much more important than that.

(1981 Bill Shankly quote variation)

Comment

i'd say lam's favourite to play 7 but it comes down to how everyone trains. you'd figure walker won't be ready but the guys in front of him don't have a lot of experience and didn't play a lot of footy last year so he might get a run sooner rather than later.

if those guys are out hutch might get a run off the bench round 1. no one can replace aubo's versatility but hutch could play on the edge as well as in the halves

Comment

2021 doesn’t fill me with great confidence. The Morris boys,friend,cords and keary worry me with how many games they will all play, and the year after a knee recon usually is a bit tentative, so not sure how well rads and verrills will go.

no certain halves combo.

Hopefully 5-6th and a fully fit team to play finals.

2022 looks like our next genuine push if walker and sualii live up to the hype.

Comment

Originally posted by milanja View Post
                          2021 doesn’t fill me with great confidence. The Morris boys,friend,cords and keary worry me with how many games they will all play, and the year after a knee recon usually is a bit tentative, so not sure how well rads and verrills will go.

no certain halves combo.

Hopefully 5-6th and a fully fit team to play finals.

2022 looks like our next genuine push if walker and sualii live up to the hype.
                          Its got that feel about it, agree.

I just wish Cords would make the tough call, we could make another big signing. I know that sentiment won't be popular.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks Fur Coat View Post

Its got that feel about it, agree.

I just wish Cords would make the tough call, we could make another big signing. I know that sentiment won't be popular.
                            I agree. Spends too much time on the sidelines. I love the blocks for what he has done for the club but we can’t carry a player on big money who is rarely on the field. Surely one more knock and it’s all over.

Comment

it's possible boyd is on his last legs but no one's got a crystal ball and it's possible he isn't. he looked wobbly last season and maybe the medical advice is that he should give it away but that's a pretty big call for a roosters captain in his 20s. unless the medical advice is strong i hope he plays next season and is given the chance to turn it around or, at worst, takes a year off (with cap relief) and see how the body is holding up at the end of the year

Comment

Working...
                              X